Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #43
Lori I SALUTE YOU AND YOUR FATHER. I had the oppertunity to tour The USS Indianapolis SSN697 A Los Angeles Class Fast Attack Sub. They were quite well aware of their ships name and had a small memorial to CG35. This was during my flying time in the Navy when I hunted Subs. That was around 1990. Being a amatuer historian on Naval and Aviation History when it was anounced we would be touring SSN697. My 1st thought was does the crew know the history of that name. And boy did they.

"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #44
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Followers; If you want to share in World War II History, consider getting the HBO Miniseries, "The Pacific." Toward the end of the series in Chapter 10 and like so many returnees at the time, I'm I'm envisioning my dad in his early twenties coming home with a Ruptured Duck. Having just defeated the baddest war machine ever conceived and meeting my mom, I was born into the baby boomer generation. We are here through the grace of God and from men whose uncommon bravery was a common virtue.

My Dad was a Navigator on B-24's. My oldest brother was born in the Spring of 46. I am no.8 of 9 I was born Nov 59. No. 9 was born Aug 61.
I agree:
We are here through the grace of God and from men whose uncommon bravery was a common virtue

"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #45
Evergreen Owners Club
My perspective is a little different. My father like so many others reported to basic training in the Army in WW2. He never was sent overseas as he showed his superiors an uncanny ability to shoot and show others how to shoot weapons. They made him a trainer and he stayed there for the duration teaching others to shoot. When the war ended he returned home and was belittled by his Brothers in Law (mothers brothers) for not going overseas like they did. He took that really hard. As a result, to look at him you'd never know he served. He hid it. He passed away 2 years ago and the American Legion paid him respect with a flag on his coffin and Taps in the Background. I was proud... I also can't help but wonder how many servicemen came home because he taught them to shoot, very well. You do not have to have been overseas or in combat to have served. Some do it in other ways. They All deserve our respect.
To ALL our Vets, thank you and Merry Christmas.
2015 Evergreen Bayhill

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club

You father's service to our country was honorable & no less important than those whose feet left our soil. Our thanks & gratitude goes to your late dad for his courage & patriotism.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of my uncles were in WWII and I have heard a lot of stories from them.Three of them were in the Army,one as a lawyer, another as a weather officer in Panama and the other was a pilot in the 15th AF in Africa for two tours. The other uncle was a Marine tank officer and made almost all the landings in the South Pacific and he had a lot of stories about that and Korea.My Dad was 4F with bad eyes and that really upset him that he couldn't go in.He was a great preacher tho and got a letter from Pres. Roosevelt and the Sec of Defense for the Red Cross work he did.
I am old enuff to have been a Boom Operator on KC-97's in the 11th ARS SAC in the very early 60's and a vast majority of the guys I flew with had been in WWII in the AF and had some real doosies of stories. We had three flight engineers that had been Flying Officers in fighter planes and when they retired,did so at officer,FO,rank.Some of the best stories came from my flight engineer that had been a gunner on B-17's and then after the war was the senior enlisted flight engineer on the AF B-36 acceptance crew.
Also,living here in the Bremerton area,I do know a lot of WWII vets from the Navy and also have some friends that served in Vietnam.
For aircraft,go to the Evergreen aviation Museum in McMinnville,Or,the naval air museum in Tillamook,Or. There is also the Museum of Flight in Seattle as well as the Warbirds Museum,owned by Paul Allen at Everett.I have also been to the SAC Museum,outside,at Omaha and the air museum at Castle AFB in Atwater,Ca..
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #48
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Driver, I second The Pacific as well, along with Band of Brothers. I can see Currahee where Band Of Brothers from my house. That generation can never be recognized enough. I was stationed on Okinawa from Dec 7 , 1968 til April 70 and just hard to imagine what had occurred 23 years earlier. My wifes 3 uncles and an aunt served in WWII and her Aunt's husband died in Normandy action. I believe SC had 200,000 serviceman in WWII and the population prob wasn't 1,700,000 at the time, not to mention the civilian war effort. On disk 10 of Pacific I was struck by the Marine that had a pond in his backyard and a Monument to his comrades, as he aged and was diagnosed with AZ he couldn't remember his family but could see the Japanese coming thru that pond....those troops never, never forgot that war.
2005 Sightseer 29R, F53 Chassis-Sold
2007 HHR Toad -Sold, Hankook AH11,Magnum Plus Beads,Dahon Bikes, Roo Bee the "Aussie",SCT-5 Star Tune, Mountain Master Tow Brake,2009 Bighorn 3600RL
coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #49
Winnebago Owners Club
WWII pilot who forever repaid rescuers dies at 94

AP FILE - In this Aug. 2, 2004 file photo provided by Geoffrey Heard, Fred Hargesheimer visits with pupils

By TIMBERLY ROSS and CHARLES HANLEY, Associated Press Timberly Ross And Charles Hanley, Associated Press Thu Dec 23, 6:39 pm ET
LINCOLN, Nebraska Fred Hargesheimer, a World War II Army pilot whose rescue by Pacific islanders led to a life of giving back as a builder of schools and teacher of children, died Thursday morning. He was 94. Richard Hargesheimer said his father had been suffering from poor health and passed away in Lincoln.
On June 5, 1943, Hargesheimer, a P-38 pilot with the 8th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, was shot down by a Japanese fighter while on a mission over the Japanese-held island of [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]New [COLOR=#366388 ! important]Britain[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in the southwest Pacific. He parachuted into the trackless jungle, where he barely survived for 31 days until found by local hunters.
They took him to their coastal village and for seven months hid him from Japanese patrols, fed him and nursed him back to health from two illnesses. In February 1944, with the help of Australian commandos working behind Japanese lines, he was picked up by a U.S. submarine off a New Britain beach.
After returning to the U.S. following the war, Hargesheimer got married and began a sales career with a Minnesota forerunner of computer maker Sperry Rand, his lifelong employer. But he said he couldn't forget the Nakanai people, who he considered his saviors.
The more he thought about it, he later said, "the more I realized what a debt I had to try to repay."
After revisiting the village of Ea Ea in 1960, he came home, raised $15,000 over three years, "most of it $5 and $10 gifts," and then returned with 17-year-old son Richard in 1963 to contract for the building of the villagers' first school.
In the decades to come, Hargesheimer's U.S. fundraising and determination built a clinic, another school and libraries in Ea Ea, renamed Nantabu, and surrounding villages.
In 1970, their three children grown, Hargesheimer and his late wife, Dorothy, moved to New Britain, today an out-island of the nation of Papua New Guinea, and taught the village children themselves for four years. The Nantabu school's experimental plot of oil palm even helped create a local economy, a large plantation with jobs for impoverished villagers.
On his last visit, in 2006, Hargesheimer was helicoptered into the jungle and carried in a chair by Nakanai men to view the newly found wreckage of his World War II plane. Six years earlier, on another visit, he was proclaimed "Suara Auru," "Chief Warrior" of the Nakanai.
"The people were very happy. They'll always remember what Mr. Fred Hargesheimer has done for our people," said Ismael Saua, 69, a former teacher at the Nantabu school.
"These people were responsible for saving my life," Hargesheimer told The Associated Press in a 2008 interview. "How could I ever repay it?"
Besides Richard, of Lincoln, Hargesheimer, a Rochester, Minnesota, native, is survived by another son, Eric, of White Bear Lake, Minnesota, and a daughter, Carol, of Woodbury, Minnesota; by a sister, Mary Louise Gibson of Grass Valley, California; and by eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

Enough said Merry Christmas

1995 Winnebago Vectra 454 Chevy
1999 Volvo C70 Convertible following on Dolly
2010 Yorkie--Sir Lenny Thomas - Riding Shotgun
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote