Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I touched History Again...

Me and Willa went over to Walyworld for some ''stuff'' and we made it back to the register. I put all my 'stuff'' in her buggy and went on over to the door to wait while she checked out and paid the bill. As I stood there I saw a gentleman wearing a ball cap enter and on his cap was U.S. Navy Veteran. He looked WW2 and I saluted him and said that I was Navy also. He returned my salute and we started talking. I asked him which ''theater'' he served in and he said Pacific, WW2. (wow) He told me he was there at the ''start''. He was serving aboard a Destroyer when the Japs started bombing the harbor. He said he had never seen such a ''cluster flub'' in his complete life. No one knew what was going on and no one seemed to be in charge. He said an old Boson Mate took command and got the guns firing and steam coming up....... He said that the officer in charge, a LtJg, didnt want to issue ammo because he had not been order to do same. He said they sailed out with half a crew expecting the worst when they hit the ''blue water''. I could have talked to him for hours. He was 88 years young and walked with a cane. He said he transferred to the Atlantic Fleet in time for D Day, June 6, 1944 so he saw the war from both battle fronts. I told him he was ''walking history'' and someone should record his memories. He told me no one had ever asked him to do that. He was a fascinating man to talk to and it is a shame that his oral history will be wasted. Such is life I guess.......

Honor our Veterans guys.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Seajay, I would wonder why people do not ask and also why isn't he asked to speak at schools and universities because what our kids (north and south of our great border) are being taught is atrocious. Too many bleeding heart liberals with a twisted sense of history in the forefront of our kids and grandkids educations. But what the hell do we know eh?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Possum, I could go four pages on this. I will just keep it short so I dont blow a fuse. I honor all Veterans, regardless of service branch or place and time of service. To me they are the greatest heros in our nation. I believe they should be honored for their service to this nation because without our Veterans, WE WOULD NOT HAVE THIS NATION. Every freedom we have was earned by a Veteran that put his or her life on the line for those freedoms and literally thousands and thousands gave their lives for our freedoms. Sometimes I feel I am in the minority about Vets but thats ok by me. I just wish we could learn from them and appreciate their sacrifice for us. I will stop now before I pop a fuse. Do this....... If you see a Veteran that old enough to have been in WW2, Korea, Nam or any other conflict this nation has been in, Please tell that person ''Thank you for your service to this nation.'' It is the least we can do for our Vets.......

Nuff said........(sorry mr admin, I got off subject)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

I was in the Navy, too. Peace time. Whenever I see a WWII Vet Identified with a cap I thank them for their service and talk with them. I met one recently who told me he was in the group that was to invade Japan. He was sure thankful he didn't have to. Me, too.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Seajay, I would wonder why people do not ask and also why isn't he asked to speak at schools and universities because what our kids (north and south of our great border) are being taught is atrocious. Too many bleeding heart liberals with a twisted sense of history in the forefront of our kids and grandkids educations. But what the hell do we know eh?
Possum, I take offense when someone equates Liberalism with being less Patriotic. My Pop served in the south Pacific, was among the first occupying forces of Japan and was a proud Liberal. My Mom work in the aircraft plants in California and was a Proud Liberal. My Father-in-law served in the Navy in the Pacific and was a Proud Liberal. I'm a Vietnam era vet and a proud Liberal. Liberalism is caring about your fellow man, not being unpatriotic.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I'm a Vietnam era vet and a proud Liberal. Liberalism is caring about your fellow man, not being unpatriotic.
You missed the "bleeding heart" part of what I said. Too many tend to think history is selective and it just ain't. You have to understand and teach true history or you are doomed to repeat it.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Possum, I take offense when someone equates Liberalism with being less Patriotic. My Pop served in the south Pacific, was among the first occupying forces of Japan and was a proud Liberal. My Mom work in the aircraft plants in California and was a Proud Liberal. My Father-in-law served in the Navy in the Pacific and was a Proud Liberal. I'm a Vietnam era vet and a proud Liberal. Liberalism is caring about your fellow man, not being unpatriotic.
"DITTO" hondo. An Canada is the country I once thought about fleeing too before I got drafted.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Don't confuse being a Democrat with being a Liberal.

Going back that far, Liberalism wasn't what it is today, which, in my mind, has become anathema to free-thinking, independence and tolerance.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seajay,
I once had a similar episode in Galveston, TX. A pickup truck pulled into a parking spot and I noticed the Purple Heart license plate. An older gentleman and his lady friend got out and were trying to figure the ticket machine for parking. I went over and helped. We struck up a conversation and it came out that he was in the landing of Iwo Jima. I felt so humbled, and so enthralled to be near such a person.

Semper Fi!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Don't confuse being a Democrat with being a Liberal.

Going back that far, Liberalism wasn't what it is today, which, in my mind, has become anathema to free-thinking, independence and tolerance.
I am confused, I'm a liberal Democrat. I'm also a free thinking tolerant independent
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Remember, political discussions are not allowed here, folks. Please keep to the OP topic.

Thank you.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #12

SeaJay,

As well as you write here. Maybe YOU should start recording the GREATEST GENERATION'S Memorys. Its too late for my dad we lost him in the 70's. He was a Navigator on B-24's. All he would do from those days was teach us boys how to navigate using the stars. He talked very little of that part of his life.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #13

SeaJay, Senator Richard Lugar from Indiana has a team of workers collecting WW II veterans stories and publishing them on a website that is connected to theLibrary of Congress: World War II Veterans with Stories: Experiencing War: Veterans History Project (Library of Congress

post-script; If you type in "WW II veterans stories" in a search engine you will receive several pages of websites connected to veterans stories, but the one linked is the official website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
"DITTO" hondo. An Canada is the country I once thought about fleeing too before I got drafted.
I had 30 days to join or be drafted didn't think about going to Canada didn't want to Dishonor my Lord or my Family.

Viet Nam Vet,Conservative and Proud of it!

[moderator edit]