Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

I want to stay out longer

Both of us have been retired for years now. I want to stay on the road longer than her..I want to stay away from the cold for 4 months, not 2.. I’m seriously considering solo trips but that would be a first for us. We do everything together. I could head south in November, she could meet me there in Jan. I would come home for Xmas. We’ve talked about it and she doesn’t seem to have a problem with me leaving sooner in the winter. I’m sure other couples have worked through this. How did it go?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know the DW died before we got to that point. She wanted the house with it's garden and flower beds, i wanted to sell it all and leave.
Give it a try it might work for you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

Works fine for us.....married for 51 years, and I head to Arizona in Oct, fly home for Christmas, then back to the sun till mid April....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My DW (of 45 years) and I frequently go our separate ways about once a year. Typically for from a week (I left in May for a five state tour), to a month or so (she travels overseas, which I would rather not do.)

We both think the break away from each other is beneficial and enjoyable. She knows I can take care of myself, I know she will be able to take care of herself too.

But... This doesn't work for everyone!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

While not retired, I have always had a LOT more vacation time than my wife has. I will take off with the RV to go fishing or hunting or whatever leaving her at home. No problems for us. But, we've always both been pretty independent and can do things together, or do things apart, without issues. Not every couple's relationship is like that, so everyone has to determine that for themselves.

If you want to do it and she's giving an honest nod of approval, try it and see how it goes.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

There was a couple we met in Palm Springs this past winter that do exactly this. He comes down early Nov and flies home for Christmas. Then they drive back down in Jan and stay until March.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #7

My first trip without DW was ok. Sailing is better than visiting the MIL in the nursing home. At least that is what I thought. My job was to take care of my wife while she was taking care of others.

My wife would also visit NYC where our daughter lives. The good news is that I did not have to go to NYC and they could have girl time.

Now that I have made my last trip with DW what am I doing? I am with family where it is too hot. I have booked a flight to NYC to gets some big city girl time.

Who you are with is more important than where you are. That is not to say that alone time to enjoy the nature is not great.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #8

We did this just this past Winter for the first time. She wanted to stay home and play with the grand-kids. I wanted to get away form the cold, as usual. I left in October and stayed 6 months in AZ. I took my quad and enjoyed exploring the desert. We kept in contact every day through texting and phone conversations. It worked out well enough, but she was tired of the cold before Winter was over. Give it a try, then you'll know if it'll work for both of you. Best of luck to you.