Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

I would like to restart a conversation that has a lot of talk

It is about generators, and not the wealthy that have the built in units. I'm talking about portables. I also would like honest opinions of your feelings when boon docked around them.
I have researched until I'm blue in the face. I already own a champion 4000 that Camping World sells. It works great and runs my 15000 btu ac.
I know the DB is a little louder than the Honda and Yamaha, but being in a rest area or Walmart parking lot with semi engines running, would my champion be that annoying? ( By the way I drive for Wal-Mart and experience this in about every parking lot I stay in) and honestly it does not bother me.
That being said and me being an RV'er I don't want to piss off another RV'er.
SO should I use the champion, for the few time (maybe 5 time a year) or just spend the un necessary money for the Honda/Yamaha to keep a few people happy? ( you know some complain no matter what)
Long post, but I really want your opinion, I may or may not take your advice, but that's for another conversation.
Thank for your time
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

I have the equivalent unit in a 3500 watt. The muffler needs replaced so mine is beginning to get a bit louder, but I have used mine in a campground during the day without anyone complaining. I have also boondocked and ran it for a week straight. Once I got on the other side of the camper it was not loud at all and no one else said anything (they were all family though). I personally have no problem with a genny running, but I used to sleep in a semi with the engine running........
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Thanks MnTom, I still sleep In a semi, at least until March of 2015. Then it is the open road at my terms.
Retiring, selling the house, and for once home is where the wheels stop.
Cary
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Sorry, my vote would always be for the quietest one available. I don't mind listening to one in an emergency, or for an hour or 2. Otherwise, the drone of that engine for hours on end will be on my nerves pretty quickly.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
KIX

I would have to agree with what AHicks said.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #6

Keep in mind that when I boondock I am the only one around and in the one campground I was in the next closest camper was probably about 150 feet from me.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

It doesn't bother me. But I come from a background of sleeping around engine noise to. I had a light tower on a job sight providing me power on a job site last week and that thing was loud. But I find the noise comforting. But truth be told if I need power at night during sleeping hours generally its to run the a/c and that's pretty loud in its own right. And I would assuming that if you need to run your geni that other people have to as well, so I don't think other people are gonna hear yours over there's. My onan drowns out any noise when it's running and I guarantee between that and my a/c running I won't here yours 5 feet away from my rv. Only time I see it being annoying for others is during the day time at a cg. That my 2 cents. If your bd in a Walmart or rest area you won't hear it over the trucks running there's, but even here in texas I see people in there rv's with no power when 95 outside and that's just crazy!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

I think if your in a boon docking at Walmart and don't pull up next to someone you should be fine. If someone parks close to you and don't like it they can move. Rest areas might be a little tight, if it is too loud. Just my opinion.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
In a city setting it's not likely to be noticed. You get it around other campers in a quiet area, yes you'll annoy everyone around even if they don't say anything.

Keep your eyes open, I just picked up a Honda EU2000i pair, extended run tank and parallel kit for $1600. While still not cheap that's a screaming deal on that setup.

I have a Honda EX4500 that I've decided to sell. If you'd like to talk about it PM me.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You say you'd only use it 5 times a year? If you are in a rest area or Walmart, you'd be foolish to spend any more. People who overnight in these areas know what to expect.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #11

You would not bother us... If we "need" our Onan genny, we will run it... Sure I try to keep others in mind,,, I also can easily get 'drummed ' to sleep by the 13-15 liter truck engines I drive... I have one of a few hundred trucks (out of several thousand) that you can keep running all night at work,, (most shut off after 2 minutes), so the same applies there as in our rv,,, given a choice I will park away from "quiet" people...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rving4us View Post
It is about generators, and not the wealthy that have the built in units. I'm talking about portables. I also would like honest opinions of your feelings when boon docked around them.
I have researched until I'm blue in the face. I already own a champion 4000 that Camping World sells. It works great and runs my 15000 btu ac.
I know the DB is a little louder than the Honda and Yamaha, but being in a rest area or Walmart parking lot with semi engines running, would my champion be that annoying? ( By the way I drive for Wal-Mart and experience this in about every parking lot I stay in) and honestly it does not bother me.
That being said and me being an RV'er I don't want to piss off another RV'er.
SO should I use the champion, for the few time (maybe 5 time a year) or just spend the un necessary money for the Honda/Yamaha to keep a few people happy? ( you know some complain no matter what)
Long post, but I really want your opinion, I may or may not take your advice, but that's for another conversation.
Thank for your time
I hope you don't mind me jump'in on this thread? We have Boondocked in several Walmarts in different citys and never have had anyone complain. We also will use on very windy days our venturi exhaust that works darn well to redirect the sound as well as any odors. I'm sure alot of folks would think twice about dropping $150.00 on the exhaust system, but i got very lucky and found mine on Graigs List for $25.00 and it was missing a $2.00 parts which was replaced at any hardware store. Bottom line, if you're BD in tight areas like Nascar infields or State/Federal camp grounds W/O ele it works great and keeps the other RV'ers happy too. We were told that after hours use of a genny was not aloud unless we had the Venturi system, then it would be ok to run all night. This was at Charlotte Motor Speedway In my book, it was money well spent no matter if you only BD a few times a year. It goes up in minutes ad comes down in 5 and thats allowing it time to cool. One piece gets a bit warmer then the rest. Just my Nickles worth on this thread and i would like two cents back please!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also use the genie when I need it. I also follow the rules of the CG.I used to sleep in the sleeper in my 18 wheeler with the refer running. I stay at my brothers farm with trains going by at least 5 times thru out the night also. The gennies don't bother me.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
I hope you don't mind me jump'in on this thread? We have Boondocked in several Walmarts in different citys and never have had anyone complain. We also will use on very windy days our venturi exhaust that works darn well to redirect the sound as well as any odors. I'm sure alot of folks would think twice about dropping $150.00 on the exhaust system, but i got very lucky and found mine on Graigs List for $25.00 and it was missing a $2.00 parts which was replaced at any hardware store. Bottom line, if you're BD in tight areas like Nascar infields or State/Federal camp grounds W/O ele it works great and keeps the other RV'ers happy too. We were told that after hours use of a genny was not aloud unless we had the Venturi system, then it would be ok to run all night. This was at Charlotte Motor Speedway In my book, it was money well spent no matter if you only BD a few times a year. It goes up in minutes ad comes down in 5 and thats allowing it time to cool. One piece gets a bit warmer then the rest. Just my Nickles worth on this thread and i would like two cents back please!
How well does it quell the sound? My gensets have short nipples on the mufflers where I can attach a short extension, I was considering a stand alone frame to use a genturi type devise to make things even quieter but haven't put the pen to paper yet to come up with a design.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote