Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

For us, a port like this would be ideal, but without the adjoining structures or fence.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
rv port

The RV Doctor: RV Chalet: The Best of Two Worlds

very inexpensive to build, modify it to fit your needs
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
Nearest neighbor would require a vehicle to visit. The port I have in mind is a rustic large barn with the RV in the middle, one side split into thirds with a single open car port on one end, storage room in the middle, open stall on the other end for tractor/animal/whatever. The other side of the RV would be one closed in one room open floor plan living area/dining area/kitchen with a separate bath/laundry and a bedroom at the other end with maybe just a half wall between it and the living area. Outside of that is a huge patio with requisite fire pit, bbq, comfortable seating. Zoning...I wont own property were there are any zoning laws. I may have a gravel pad or two placed with electric for visitors. Yea, I've thought about it some, and it is a long way off yet.

Location would have to be somewhat temperate, with some water, would love to live near mountains, thats the one environment I have never lived in. Would probably have some remote security, and since you can already monitor everything from temp to doors to water, no telling what that will be at the time. Maybe an armed Ruumba....

The building you describe is exactly what I have in mind. I have a antique Harley and an antique Jeep that I really don't want to part with so this would give me a place to keep them. I have considered buying a couple of acres next door to my brother so that there would be someone to at least watch over it when we are traveling but have also considered buying land close to our RV lot at the beach. I would want something 5-10 miles inland to lessen the chance of storms and surges as well as being less expensive. We are about 5 years away from retirement but this is something I have thought about going ahead and starting now. Even though we think we know where we want to be after retirement, there is a little voice that tells me that once we see other parts of this country, we may end up some place unexpected.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We are actually pursuing this type of property now. Looking in N. AZ, CO, NM and maybe UT. Just looked at 4.3 ac on the Dolores River last week. I would like to find the raw land and make the improvements myself. It will be mainly for summer use, since we already have a great winter home. The problem we keep running into is, there is a fine line between restrictive covenants that will allow parking an RV, and undesirable growth. Prices are another problem. I could see building another RV port like the one I built at the S&B, but with minimal living quarters included for a bath and W/D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0251.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	139592  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We are actually pursuing this type of property now. Looking in N. AZ, CO, NM and maybe UT. Just looked at 4.3 ac on the Dolores River last week. I would like to find the raw land and make the improvements myself. It will be mainly for summer use, since we already have a great winter home. The problem we keep running into is, there is a fine line between restrictive covenants that will allow parking an RV, and undesirable growth. Prices are another problem. I could see building another RV port like the one I built at the S&B, but with minimal living quarters included for a bath and W/D.
Adding the bath is a great idea.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Adding the bath is a great idea.
I forgot to mention, 7000' has became our new benchmark.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #21

Quote:
I forgot to mention, 7000' has became our new benchmark.
?? I'm a little slow this morning.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
?? I'm a little slow this morning.
Mountains I think. I agree! The higher the better :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Mountains I think. I agree! The higher the better :-)
Too high and you lose a whole season. Some properties in the higher elevations list the roads as "seasonal"!
Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Depends on where we decide to land and if we want to be there all year.
Thinking about being near the shore (ocean), but also want "nearby" access to mountains (Jeeping).
Would like several acres with some trees and a grassy pasture.
Large barn that looks run down and unused. Grassy gravel drive, coming in from the side and broken down fences. Someplace that looks worth nothing!
Inside is the large, all purpose room for 1/3 of it. Kitchen, laundry, bath and maybe separate bedroom. Rv pulls inside to middle 1/3 and hook ups to live in it. All Rv vents to outside. Last 1/3 is garage and storage.
The idea is to pull in and stay as long as we want. When we pull out, it is just a piece of old, rundown property with nothing of value on it.
Other option is several "lots" in different locations across the US. All services underground and located in a lockable vault. Pull in, hook up and stay as long as we want. Unhook, lock the vault and onto the next spot and repeat.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #25

Ideal RV Port or Property

I had 40 acres of "lot" for over 20 years. It was great! We couldn't even keep up with the trees for firewood that fell down. Great scenery, and awesome trout fishing.
But it was just a vacation spot. It served us well until the horizon grew.
Now, retirement and fulltiming. No more vacations for us, only adventures.
Some need a roost. Ours is where the rv is parked....for a short while.
Every place we stay is a port, a base for exploration!
Just sayin
YMMV
Happy Trails, no matter what
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Too high and you lose a whole season. Some properties in the higher elevations list the roads as "seasonal"!
Yes. An too low (5000) can get too warm. We think 6500-7K is the "Goldie Locks" zone for a summer retreat.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. An too low (5000) can get too warm. We think 6500-7K is the "Goldie Locks" zone for a summer retreat.
We are with you on this! Also, my 7000' place will be north and west. When I win the lottery, yep.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #28

Ideal RV Port or Property

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1475031611.804675.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	140091this is what we are going to build except the living quarters will be on the end facing the lake this setup has a 1000 sq ft living space on the side.