Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ideal RV Port or Property

Imagine you've been full timing for a few years and finally decided that you'd like a landing pad for the RV. Further, imagine that you could afford a modest place...

What would your RV Port / "base" look like? Would it be private / only your rig? Or with others?

Where would it be? Summer place, winter, shoulder seasons?

Would you make a spot for friends to drop by?

Right now, I can't see us staying more than a week or two in any spot. After that, if love something in the Rockies for spring, summer, and fall drop-in...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'd like a place within 50-75 miles of a decent grocery store, but still mostly rural. Safe, of course. Good cell coverage, power, water, and electric available. An acre or two is plenty. Zoning to allow me to build a big barn /RV garage. Allowable outdoor fires. River or lake nearby. Mountains within view. Space for friends to drop by and park. Internet coverage for security cameras. What else?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Nearest neighbor would require a vehicle to visit. The port I have in mind is a rustic large barn with the RV in the middle, one side split into thirds with a single open car port on one end, storage room in the middle, open stall on the other end for tractor/animal/whatever. The other side of the RV would be one closed in one room open floor plan living area/dining area/kitchen with a separate bath/laundry and a bedroom at the other end with maybe just a half wall between it and the living area. Outside of that is a huge patio with requisite fire pit, bbq, comfortable seating. Zoning...I wont own property were there are any zoning laws. I may have a gravel pad or two placed with electric for visitors. Yea, I've thought about it some, and it is a long way off yet.

Location would have to be somewhat temperate, with some water, would love to live near mountains, thats the one environment I have never lived in. Would probably have some remote security, and since you can already monitor everything from temp to doors to water, no telling what that will be at the time. Maybe an armed Ruumba....
Old 09-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

Would like something on a couple of private acres, with a body of water, on the way to somewhere. .. an easy stop on the way to a popular destination. That way when I'm not there, others could use it as a pleasant stop over for a small charge. I would like space for visitors. I picture a small cabin with a barn. But I don't full time yet. This is just the dream property that goes along with the full timing dream.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nice! Armed Rumba :-).

How do we design the yards / barn-or-cabin surrounding area so that they need minimal maintenance? No one around to cut the grass, and we don't want to because escaping annoying maintenance of "traditional" S&B is part of what makes starting FT so fun and freeing :-)
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #6

But I want it all! I think I'm stuck between 2 dreams.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #7

there were some nice ports on this discussion

RV Port Home
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
I'd like a place within 50-75 miles of a decent grocery store, but still mostly rural. Safe, of course. Good cell coverage, power, water, and electric available. An acre or two is plenty. Zoning to allow me to build a big barn /RV garage. Allowable outdoor fires. River or lake nearby. Mountains within view. Space for friends to drop by and park. Internet coverage for security cameras. What else?
That's exactly what we had been looking for. We decided we needed a home base. We were in Indiana last spring when I found this place online. Spring Ridge Estates

I contacted Gary and he told us we could stay for free on one of the lots as long as we wanted, to check out the area. We high tailed it out there and ended up buying a 2.3 acre lot, we now have a 40' x 50' RV port with kitchen and full bath and a 40' x 30' shop. We are surrounded buy pine and fir trees with 360 degree views of the Selkirk Mountains, very private.

There are over 50 lakes and numerous rivers within an hours drive, this is truly a unique location.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Randy and Dorothy, what a gorgeous place!!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you, we feel very fortunate to have found this place.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotis View Post
Thank you, we feel very fortunate to have found this place.
Now if I could find a similar place for half or a quarter of the plot cost, I'd be golden!!!

There are a ton of "regular" houses in that price range in many of the rural areas of the country that I've been in... Problem is that there's no one to watch them and no one dependable to hire for maintenance while you travel. And also many places don't allow a RV sized garage or port. :-)

If I was younger and more ambitious I'd establish a series of properties similar to that, outside of areas that I love best :-). I'm sure there's a growing market for them, with so many boomers retiring, RVing, and many eventually settling for longer periods...

Anyway, will bookmark this one in case we win the lottery! :-)
Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I believe you are right that there is a growing market for this type of property. I agree the cost seems high but that price includes the lot being turn key. With that price you get your driveway put in, 50' paved, the septic system, 200 Amp service with RV pedestal and your own well plus a 20' x 40' gravel RV pad, all setup the way you want and ready to use.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

The DW and I spent the last three days of our last trip discussing this very topic. We live on the east coast, right in the DC/I-95 corridor, so we are looking for a secluded spot somewhere out west. We are hoping to find rough land, with a good view, that we can afford, and afford to cut a gravel road/utility easement into.

Right now, we envision little more than a pole barn big enough to keep the weather off of the motor home while still giving front and side views. A small area behind would be enclosed to provide protection for water, electric (possibly provided by a generator), and septic service, and some basic storage. Of course, as mentioned previously, an area for a patio and a fire pit are also required.

For us, this is just in the discussion phase. We've got a few years before we can start making serious preparations.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Imagine you've been full timing for a few years and finally decided that you'd like a landing pad for the RV. Further, imagine that you could afford a modest place...

What would your RV Port / "base" look like? Would it be private / only your rig? Or with others?

Where would it be? Summer place, winter, shoulder seasons?

Would you make a spot for friends to drop by?

Right now, I can't see us staying more than a week or two in any spot. After that, if love something in the Rockies for spring, summer, and fall drop-in...
It would be in the middle of the country more in the south then north. It would be on 2 acres wooded with electric and rural water. Septic system and a pole barn for the RV with additional rooms and space for car. Shopping and medical is 10 miles away. Motel near by for friends and family if they drop in. It is located across the street and when I get the barn built on it we will sell the house and the 8 acres the house is on.