Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
in my case it is Citi that allows me to generate and keep track of virtual visa numbers

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Bank of America has two separate programs. One is called "Shop Safe" and is a one time temporary credit card number for online shopping. The second one is called "Safe Pass" and is a code text messaged to your mobile device. It is for very sensitive transactions and the code expires as soon as you use it. Both programs can be seen at www.bankofamerica.com
I have always protected my identity wherever I can. I shred anything that goes out of my house with our names etc. on it. I have identity theft insurance with my homeowners insurance. I have a monitoring program with Legal Aid at work, that if anybody taps my credit, I am notified by e-mail. I have Bank of america send me an alert if any of my credit cards or any account I have is tapped, I get an e-mail. Yes it is sometimes a pain in the neck, but if I get an e-mail that tells me something I don't recognize, I can stop it then and there. In this day and age we all need to be on guard and protect ourselves like never before. People make a living off us making a mistake.
Bob O

Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Glen41,
For me, cash is a poor substitute for a CC. There are two main reasons.
1. AMEX gives me 5% back on all the fuel, groceries and pharmacy purchases I make. In addition they give me 1.5% back on all other purchases. If I paid cash I get no discount or rebate.

2. Taxes. In Florida, we have no State income tax. I keep all my receipts and they are associated with my CC statement. This allows me a much larger Federal tax deduction than the table I would need to use if I did not keep my receipts. Cash receipts will not pass a Federal tax audit. This is because there is nothing tying the cash receipt to an individual.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club

We use a Credit Card which allows me to set a max individual limit. It notifies me if I set it for $100.00 it will send me an alert that there was a charge over that amount. My son was always using his Bank Card as debit. When you use it that way the store where you are using it can hold an amount more than what you actually spent out of your account until they have received payment. If you carry enough in your Bank account your ok. If not like my Son you end up with rubber checks and fee's. He no longer uses Debit. If you use Credit you can dispute a charge. And I think youíre only responsible for $50.00. If it comes out of your Bank Account itís gone never to be recovered.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When preparing for long RV trips or extended stays along the way, I have been doing the following things for ID and CC protection...

First I notify my bank and I contact the CC folks and tell them what I am doing and confirm our secondary addresses. I also give them an approximate date we will return.

Next I give my local police dept a copy of our itinerary with specifics and of course that info is also shared with the immediate family. The police told me years ago that by doing this they can monitor the neighborhood better knowing who is away and who may have access to the house, etc..

Finally I shred all envelopes, or anything with addresses from bills, statements, etc that comes from the mail we have forwarded to various locations.

All gasoline and food is purchased with a credit card. I will use very little cash and when I need some, I always try to use the debit card inside a bank or grocery store. This has worked quite well.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is one other thing to do.

On the back of each credit card is a signature area. After you sign it, also write in CHECK ID. If a cashier is doing their job, they should then ask for a picture ID. If they do not ask me, I tell them that they should have.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Just for your info, I never sign the back of my card, If anybody is on their toe's they will check your ID since the card is not signed. If not, then you know that they didn't read the card.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #22
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Just for your info, I never sign the back of my card, If anybody is on their toe's they will check your ID since the card is not signed. If not, then you know that they didn't read the card.
I haven't signed my card for the same reason. You'd be surprised at how few times anyone ever asks for ID. Most never even look at the card.

However, I did have one clerk inform me the back of the card says "Not valid unless signed." She accepted the card with ID, but she said she could have refused the card since it wasn't signed. She said we "looked honest."
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never understood why a signature on the back of the card mattered. Anyone can sign it...as long as the signature looks close to the name on the front it is accepted.

The signature means nothing...card readers at gas stations, stores, etc. do not read the signature!!

Even the so-called security code on the back really does not mean much at the point of sale...it does however protect the card owner in phone line and internet transactions.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom,
Not signing the back of a CC means a thief could sign the CC. Instead of signing your name, consider writing "check photo ID" in the signature box.

On edit,
oops, I just saw K-Star already made this suggestion. I'll leave this post as it may be worth mentioning more than once.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[]

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club

Well I donít know if anyone else has notice. But most places today donít even touch your card let alone look for a signature. You run it through a reader, and sign on the reader you just ran the card through. No one checked if it was yours. At Menards the only thing you donít do is scan what you are buying. You run your card sign on the line and pack your own items and the receipt comes out of where you are packing your stuff. A lot of stores have self serve check outs. If you have dropped your card and someone finds it they can go through the self service. And no one will know anything. The only thing you can do in this day and age is keep track of your account balance often. I know what the average is that I would charge. So I set a limit and get an alert if something is charged higher than the limit I set for an individual charge, plus check my balance often. I have even press the issue to the clerk ďyou donít even know if this card belongs to meĒ They just stand there and look at you like what are you talking about.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jonelsr, I can relate to the situation you mentioned above. Just yesterday, I purchased paint and supplies to do some "honeydews" around the house. I bought the stuff I needed at Home Depot, and used the self checkout and my credit card. Never had assistance from clerk except to mix the paint. Sure is convienient, but..... you are so right about not loseing a card.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #28

I've had my Schwab account, Wells Fargo Debit card and Chase card all compromised within the last two years. Schwab I found myself and they did not honor their guarantee, it involved $3400 and they only honored half of the loss. Wells Fargo discovered the compromise each time the same day and called me that night to say there was a problem and the card was canceled. One was a merchant compromise and the other was a website had been set up and they took $1.01 out to see if it would go through, it didn't. WF sent new cards immediately. With Chase they noted and irregularity and cancelled the card, called me that night and I had a new card the next week.

I have a horrible last name to spell let alone say and yet it occurs. To protect yourself check your CC statements carefully each month and if you insist on having a Schwab account check that daily. Debit/credit cards both off the same security features if issued by Visa or MC.