Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
We need to remember that most of us drive in many states, TX included. I've yet to see a state where the right of way is given to the vehicle in the on ramp however. I've seen a few on-ramps where "Yield" signs are placed, however the absence of the yield sign in a ramp or lane does not imply the right of way for that lane,
Just for clarity, I was referring to the original post. There was no mention of a ramp. I agree with you fully that the right of way is with the highway, and not the ramp. Again, for clarification, the only law in the state you are driving in is the law of that state. There are no reciprocal "driving" laws. If there were, then everyone without a hands free device could talk in those states that require hands free.

Passing on the right is an individual state law, and Ignorance of The Law is no excuse.

When ramps come into the question, in TX, the oncoming ramp yields to the highway. The feeder road traffic yields to the off-coming ramp. (Good luck with that one.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes Wayne M, I see that both of us realize that this thread has two separate issues interspersed:
- Passing on the right, on highways; here laws seem to vary state-to-state. I avoid doing this except in obvious situations like the left lane driver making a left turn at a light or where everything is at a slow crawl on a backed-up interstate due to construction, etc.
- Merging from the entrance ramp; I doubt whether any state has a law which allows the vehicle in the ramp the right-of-way. Agreed, an action like that is really dangerous.

As to people driving while on cell phones, eating a hamburger, or texting, I'm with you 200% on that. Unfortunately there are too many of those situations that go unheeded.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #17

Four lane highway I pass on the right if it is going faster and I'm already in it.. Left lane is usually reserved for people on cell phone or fixing their makeup. Or people that are going to exit in about 300 ft.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Yes Wayne M, I see that both of us realize that this thread has two separate issues interspersed:
- Passing on the right, on highways; here laws seem to vary state-to-state. I avoid doing this except in obvious situations like the left lane driver making a left turn at a light or where everything is at a slow crawl on a backed-up interstate due to construction, etc.
- Merging from the entrance ramp; I doubt whether any state has a law which allows the vehicle in the ramp the right-of-way. Agreed, an action like that is really dangerous.

As to people driving while on cell phones, eating a hamburger, or texting, I'm with you 200% on that. Unfortunately there are too many of those situations that go unheeded.
Sorry if I'm the one who confused things. I personally see no difference in being "forced" to the left lane by an idiot entering from an entrance ramp and then being passed by a string of cars on the right because you cannot get back to the lane and other situations where some elects to pass on the right in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, I never face the latter situation because unless there is a problem in the right lane, I'm always going to drive there. I've been passed on the right by people driving on unpaved areas in a traffic jam but I don't count those.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Four lane highway I pass on the right if it is going faster and I'm already in it.. Left lane is usually reserved for people on cell phone or fixing their makeup. Or people that are going to exit in about 300 ft.
Well put. Nothing like cutting across 3 lanes of traffic during rush hour to take an exit that you use 5 days a week but can't seem to plan ahead for.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #20

Dave, They did plan for that cut across 3 lanes, they do it 5 days a week. I call that planing. 30 yrs haulinhazmat but I know I haven't seen it all.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Addendum: If on a two lane interstate I'll stay in the right hand lane, and if possible I'll move to the left for on-coming traffic up a ramp. Sometimes, I just have to brake hard because as some have stated, cell phone, makeup, reading newspaper, etc.,

When I am in the area of a city that has 3 lanes I'll ride the center lane, or in more than 3 lanes, I'll run the second lane from the right. That way I don't have to worry about the idiots entering the freeway, and they don't know how to accelerate up to speed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In WA every on ramp has an implicit "Yield" sign at the end of it for the driver coming onto the freeway even (as most are) if coming from the right of freeway traffic. That's what the ramp is for, accelerating up to safe merging speed.

Also, in WA it is legal to pass on the right or left on any roadway AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GO OFF THE main road and it's otherwise legal. If you touch or go over the fog line (the white line on the right) and there is an accident it's YOUR FAULT no matter what as you left the traveled lane. One of the male judges (Woppner?) on TV got a ticket for this too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #23

Indiana law says you may pass on the right (dual lanes or more) when the vehicle in front of you stubbornly refuses to move to the right after you have sounded your horn.
re: Interstate entry ramps, I am irritated by two kinds of drivers, those that do not know how to merge, and those that think the yield sign means stop until no oncoming traffic is observed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote