Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

I'm a reformed offender

Technically,isnt it illegal to pass on the right,?
We see it and many of us have done it alot.

When in a std vehicle ,I used to use the right land ,aka slow lane, for passing if the other lanes slowed me down
Eventually I recognised the danger of that even more clearly (years ago )when I became the slow traffic in the right lane.

PROBLEM 1 example on a freeway
You have someone moving up much faster on the car that is behind you.
This faster vehicle doesnt know Im about to go into the slow lane ,because I am,,or signals are, blocked from his view by the vehicle between us.
So all of a sudden Ive moved into the right lane and the faster vehicle passing us is up my keester.
Of course that driver acts like it was my fault.

There are may other example out there and I sure wish drivers were aware of it,cause I think most dont think about it at all. some like i used to be, thought about it for a few seconds while passing,but continued to do it.

I changed my "driving like i was in a hurry" in my 30's. Lucky I wasnt involved in any accident.
Most drivers I see are just asking for it with driving too close,quick lane changes etc. it all has one common denominator. Driving like youre in some kind of hurry,impatient,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I find myself in a similar position at least once on most trips. I'm a steadfast right lane driver in the RV and it takes a lot to get me to move. One of those things is an idiot coming up an entrance ramp who has no idea how to merge into the flow of traffic. If I have the room, I'll signal and move over to the inner lane to allow them to enter the freeway. That is what I'm required to do by law. Typically, however, they'll get into the the right lane and finish the sandwich they were eating or continue talking on the phone. They are going just fast enough to pace me and much slower than the traffic which has now come up behind me. I cannot accelerate enough to get away from them and pull back into the right lane.

So the fast drivers behind start moving into the right lane and now I'm really blocked with no way to get back. I've signaled my desire to do so but noone who is willing to pass on the right wants to let me back in. So I'm stuck. Meanwhile, the jerk with the sandwich or the cell phone has now figured out that they are on an expressway, accelerated to the speed that they should have when they merged and are long gone. I'm left to deal with their aftermath.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

I haven't seen a law in any state that requires you to move over to the left when someone is coming down an on-ramp. The "vehicle on the right has right-of-way" does not apply here; it's the vehicle on the highway which has the right-of-way. Sure, if it's safe, move over as a courtesy but don't cut someone in the left lane off because the moron is coming down the entrance ramp lane. The driver of the vehicle on the ramp must time a safe entry into the right lane.

Sadly many drivers don't realize that cutting off a big vehicle in the right lane from the entrance ramp is not only illegal but dangerous.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Im no expert,but I thought that here in Ca "It is a violation to impede the flow of traffic when merging on any road,highway or freeway"
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

Those of you who think you are required to move over to allow someone to enter a freeway, must go to your drivers' handbook and read the rules of entering a freeway from a ramp. Uh those who are entering the freeway from the ramp should read the manual also, to see how to properly enter the road from that ramp.
No where does it say to enter the freeway with a cell phone glued to your ear, or eating a hamburger with cheese on it.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Those of you who think you are required to move over to allow someone to enter a freeway, must go to your drivers' handbook and read the rules of entering a freeway from a ramp. Uh those who are entering the freeway from the ramp should read the manual also, to see how to properly enter the road from that ramp.
No where does it say to enter the freeway with a cell phone glued to your ear, or eating a hamburger with cheese on it.
well put
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's please put this in perspective. Read the driver's handbook FOR YOUR STATE. Not every state has the same set of laws in their driver's handbook. Also, the driver's handbook in Texas is just a reference to allow you to pass a driving test. The actual laws are pages, upon pages, upon pages of text, probably several inches thick on 8 x 10 paper. If you need Texas examples, they can be provided.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

We need to remember that most of us drive in many states, TX included. I've yet to see a state where the right of way is given to the vehicle in the on ramp however. I've seen a few on-ramps where "Yield" signs are placed, however the absence of the yield sign in a ramp or lane does not imply the right of way for that lane,
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #9

Problems with merging traffic? Not me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trafficmerge9904.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	13000  
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
In Connecticut (where I originally got my drivers license) it is illegal to pass on the right when the road has 1 or two lanes moving in the same direction. When there are 3 or more lanes, it is legal (or at least was in 1966), to pass on the right.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
First, it is illegal to pass on the right if you are going faster than the Legal speed limit.
If you are going the legal speed limit and the other lane[s] have slowed down below the Legal speed limit you are allowed to pass on the Right WITH CARE. Most States have Laws which State "Keep Right Except To Pass".

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Most of the driver's handbooks that I've read, say that the driver entering the freeway needs to merge into traffic. They also say that, where possible, that freeway driver should give the entering driver the opportunity to merge smoothly.

I will never cut off a driver in the inner lane in order to allow someone on an entrance ramp onto the highway. If there is room to move over safely, I do. I view this as common courtesy. I expect, in return, the courtesy of the entering driver to not "hang me out to dry" in the left lane. That was the basis for my previous post. In many cases, it is not a reciprocal courtesy arrangement.

The safely of my vehicle is my primary concern. I do what I believe necessary to avoid a collision. I've learned, through some very close calls, that drivers who attempt to merge at low speed can also slam on their brakes directly in front of me if I use my air horn. So it is mostly for self preservation, not driving rules, that I'm quick to change lanes if it is possible and safe to do so.

The real dilemma is when changing lanes is not an option. But that situation was not what I interpreted the OP of this thread to be addressing and I won't divert the discussion in that direction.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In Oregon you are allowed to pass on the right as long as it is on a paved lane. Just don't exceed the speed limit and use common sense by driving defensively.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For that guy merging and talking on the cell phone, AIR HORNS, seem to really get their attention.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote