Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

or not? After entering my (our) names at the
entrance of the N.E. RV show have been informed that I've won an all expense trip to the Bahamas.

WOW!! Just one catch, Gotta provide our own transportation to Miami. Oh, & did I forget to mention, all I've got to do is pay $299 p/p in
advance & then agree to participate in a 2 hour
time-share sales pitch?

Beware!! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #2

or not? After entering my (our) names at the
entrance of the N.E. RV show have been informed that I've won an all expense trip to the Bahamas.

WOW!! Just one catch, Gotta provide our own transportation to Miami. Oh, & did I forget to mention, all I've got to do is pay $299 p/p in
advance & then agree to participate in a 2 hour
time-share sales pitch?

Beware!! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is !!!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You're still a winner for figuring the scam out before your money and time were wasted.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't enter any contests at RV shows.

It only generates junk mail.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #5

I thought that I was doing quite well in that I received very few junk mails. My knowledge of the internet doesn't go much beyond sending & receiving emails. I can go on internet to look up various subjects - but I am now
inundated with unsolicitated emails (perhaps 90%) & other than changing my email address - I don't want to make a change, as my address is very important to me - what are my options?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #6

PS - Have not given out my email address at any RV shows or any other 'secure' venues.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
jodann,
If your email is web based, most suppliers have spam filters you can invoke to minimize spam. If you have P/C based email ( ex, Outlook) they also have basic filters you can set up to minimize spam. Lastly, you can purchase an anti spam program (Norton/Symantec is the one I use).

Is your email P/C based? If so, which email program do you use?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have three e-mail accounts. One is provided by my Internet Service Provider. That is my "super secret" closed system.
Another is a freebie provided by hotmail.com. I used this system when I had sold my home and was moving across the country. Totally free but loaded with spam. My third is yahoomail.com it too is free and I get a lot of spam but like hotmail it is free and esasily accessible from any hotel lobby in the country.
Chet
Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have three e-mail accounts. One is provided by my Internet Service Provider. That is my "super secret" closed system.
Another is a freebie provided by hotmail.com. I used this system when I had sold my home and was moving across the country. Totally free but loaded with spam. My third is yahoomail.com it too is free
Old 03-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Have the last laugh, send them a phoney check

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #11

Only tip that I have is to hit the "spam" button everytime you get unsolicited email. I have a yahoo and an aol account. I mainly use my yahoo. It sorts my email for me. If it thinks it is junk, it sends it to my bulk folder. I can check that folder if I want just to see if something I wanted happened to get in there, or I can ignore it. It can easily have over 500 spams in it. My inbox recieves all mail from people on my address list and those that seem "personal" to yahoo. Not a perfect system, but I only recieve 1-2 junk mails a day.

By clicking the "spam" button everytime you receive spam, it helps your email service identify spammers. Another thing, other than not giving out your email, is to go to the sites and click "unsubscribe". Most ads will have and "unsubscribe" link at the bottom. Just be careful not to go to a site that may be harmful.

Oh, and btw, that free laptop will never come, you will never get your free dinner at Chili's and you won't win $1million. They just want your email address. The one time I clicked, I was immediately inundated with spam. If you want to enter the contests that require an email address, I would suggest opening a new free email account and using it only for that purpose. Oh, and if you do, leave your profile blank on that account.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #12

Up until a few weeks ago I rec'd. little or no spam - now I would say that at a minimum, 95% of my emails are spam. I NEVER open any unsolisitated emails for fear that I'll just encourage more junk. All suspect emails are reported to Norton/Symantic, but to no avail so far.

It may be coincidence, but the "problem" began after receiving an unsolicited email for 'Hillary in '08' that I just could not resist replying to w/ a 'poison pen' letter. The response required my home address, email address, phone # & so on. I shudda known better.

Call me paranoid, but I've had my email address for 2+ years with never a problem. I'm at my wits end !!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Have the last laugh, send them a phoney check </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That may or may not be the last laugh. In most states, there can be a hefty fee imposed by the bank for a returned check and in many cases, the addressee of the check can impose a non-payment fee. If one does not pay the fee, it can be turned over to a collection agency ...they can work havoc on ones credit.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm like Chet. I have one that only goes to family and friends. I have another that I use for internet transactions. That account gets dozens of email per day. Some, from companies I registered to, I look at and then delete. Most I report as spam. When ordering over the internet, I then forward the emails regarding that order to my personal account.

Companies now sell Email addresses like they used to sell telephone numbers.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote