Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm selective in what I'm willing to do and painting is not on the list.
I also don't like to do anything I have to do.

No problem. If you read my last post, there isn't a single item on it that starts with "have to". There was only one task listed as painting (there are more) so all of the other non-painting tasks fit your criteria.

Will you be starting on Monday morning?

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Ain't it the truth? Our logistics infrastructure is not set up to supply parts to things so those parts end up costing more than the mass produced whole units. If the part itself isn't repairable, you only have a remote chance of finding its replacement.

The biggest issue for me is that when things break, it is usually faulty engineering that was the cause. More than 75% of the parts that I am able to buy have a different part number because the upgraded version fixes the cause of why I had a broken part to begin with. It is called "engineering in the field" by many companies.

The offer is still open to Dunner and all of the rest of you who are bored. I'm revising my task list for 2012 and there are over 500 hours of tasks in it, just based on my preliminary estimates. I have jobs for all tastes:
- want to repair a Briggs and Straton 16hp engine with low compression one one cylinder?
- want to paint 450 feet of 3 rail metal horse fence? How about painting the trim on a single story house?
- want to cut down and cut up 3 large trees (two pecan, one live oak)?
- want to build 9 kitchen cabinets (5 wall, 4 base)? Actually, I'm just building the "carcass" and face frames - I've found a place to supply the raised panel doors cheaper than I could build them.
- want to diagnose problems with two portable guitar amplifiers?
- want to install a 10 circuit transfer switch? Actually, this one comes with the additional task of bring the ground rod configuration up to current NEC code. I just not sure what that means yet. I suspect that driving 3 new eight foot ground rods is part of it - and making a hole through a concrete driveway will be necessary for at least one of those rods.

I have literally hundreds more choices on small tasks. And for those of you deterred by the cold, it will be 70 degrees in the Dallas area on Friday.
Wow that is a list. Maybe I can convert my mh,push out a window and sell coffee and sandwiches to all the people who will come and help with the list.. Actually I converted my garage to a workshop doing miniature room settings and going to craft shows.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #59

I converted my family room into a machine shop. Who needs a living room that doesn't get used except for when life insurance agents come to sell you a policy.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I converted my family room into a machine shop. Who needs a living room that doesn't get used except for when life insurance agents come to sell you a policy.
Good plan and use of space. I am "allowed" to use the dining room table with lots and lots of protection if the weather in the garage is too cold for painting. DW actually encourages my hobby, very lucky to have her for the past 31 years.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #61

I hope it's not spray paint.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #62

I'm probably already in their spot light. No need to focus it.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
This is by far a sad site. Nothing on the work bench. :(
Hey Mike - let's kick this off again - and see if we can't get some fresh ideas for your work bench.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #64

Say Mike - - how about making some "Flat Pack" Plywood Picnic Tables? You can make a picnic table out of one 4 x 8 sheet of 5/8" plywood. Just google that name and directions and pictures are available to show you how and what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picnic table.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	56193  
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5
Say Mike - - how about making some "Flat Pack" Plywood Picnic Tables? You can make a picnic table out of one 4 x 8 sheet of 5/8" plywood. Just google that name and directions and pictures are available to show you how and what you need.
Hey Steve - that's pretty cool. I've seen a few places where the picnic table seemed as if it were made of splinters. Seen some concrete ones that could have been broken down for use as as grinding wheels. Seems too big for my storage bays though.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #66

I'm not good with wood. Like making things out of metal.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
How about making a lock for slide toppers to keep them from billowing in the wind. I have made one for the main awning and small bedroom awnings but have yet to come up with one for the slide topper with extended awning.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
Just throwing it out there, but you like dunes but not the heat. Maybe make some sort of A/C unit for the dune buggy? Or just call me stupid.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #69

Here's some metal fabrication for you, Mike. Look at my thread listed under "RV systems and Appliances" category here on iRV2.

You could create a stove top "leg stop" that could just properly and easily slip onto the legs of the common MH and TT stove top to keep the dang thing from falling through the holes. You'd make a mint.

You'll need to look at my post to know what I'm talking about.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
How about making a lock for slide toppers to keep them from billowing in the wind. I have made one for the main awning and small bedroom awnings but have yet to come up with one for the slide topper with extended awning.
My slide topper came with stops. Little arms at certain postitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
Just throwing it out there, but you like dunes but not the heat. Maybe make some sort of A/C unit for the dune buggy? Or just call me stupid.
Dune buggies are open air. It's not hot when riding, just when you have to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Here's some metal fabrication for you, Mike. Look at my thread listed under "RV systems and Appliances" category here on iRV2.

You could create a stove top "leg stop" that could just properly and easily slip onto the legs of the common MH and TT stove top to keep the dang thing from falling through the holes. You'd make a mint.

You'll need to look at my post to know what I'm talking about.
I'd have to see it or maybe get a hands-on look to see what I could come up with. I'd make a mint till the Chinese copied it. I'll look for it. Give me a link. Sounds interesting. I lookeed through 5 pages and searched your name and couldn't find it.