Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
... at the differences in things. I have a 1975 Johnson 6hp outboard engine for my boat that needs a part. I searched the web and quickly found 3-4 sites that supported that engine. Somehow, I cannot imagine that my little engine is in great quantity out there today. Anyway, I found two sites that had my part and could get it to me in 3-4 days for $30 or less. I bumped into minimum order amounts with both or the costs would have been even less.

In contrast, we have a top of the line double oven in our stick house from a major manufacturer who's brand name advertizing is built on service. The oven, less than a year old, lost it's control board under warranty. I placed a call for service and was told that the part wasn't available anywhere in less than 7-10 business days - and only after the part arrived at the dealer would they put me on their schedule to install it with perhaps another week's delay. I happen to know that this is a fairly popular, high volume appliance. When I complained that their response wasn't acceptable to me, I was told "that is the way it is." I continued to request better service and, suddenly, I had 3 of the parts shipped directly to my house, without the knowledge of the person that I appealed to (they had placed my request on their computer system and multiple parts of the organization responded without any coordination among them). None of them shipped to the local dealer as their own procedures required. It still cost me more than the price of the part to have it installed and tested (it required 2 screws and two ribbon cable connectors). By the way, this same manufacturer tightly controls the sales price, not allowing any retail outlet to discount it. One of our local home improvement stores did discount some of their appliances because the customers used the home improvement store credit cards on a promotion and the manufacturer pulled all of their stock from that store for 30 days.

How is it that I can get better support on a 30 year old outboard than on a brand new, name brand, supposedly high quality oven?

It just makes me wonder........

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
... at the differences in things. I have a 1975 Johnson 6hp outboard engine for my boat that needs a part. I searched the web and quickly found 3-4 sites that supported that engine. Somehow, I cannot imagine that my little engine is in great quantity out there today. Anyway, I found two sites that had my part and could get it to me in 3-4 days for $30 or less. I bumped into minimum order amounts with both or the costs would have been even less.

In contrast, we have a top of the line double oven in our stick house from a major manufacturer who's brand name advertizing is built on service. The oven, less than a year old, lost it's control board under warranty. I placed a call for service and was told that the part wasn't available anywhere in less than 7-10 business days - and only after the part arrived at the dealer would they put me on their schedule to install it with perhaps another week's delay. I happen to know that this is a fairly popular, high volume appliance. When I complained that their response wasn't acceptable to me, I was told "that is the way it is." I continued to request better service and, suddenly, I had 3 of the parts shipped directly to my house, without the knowledge of the person that I appealed to (they had placed my request on their computer system and multiple parts of the organization responded without any coordination among them). None of them shipped to the local dealer as their own procedures required. It still cost me more than the price of the part to have it installed and tested (it required 2 screws and two ribbon cable connectors). By the way, this same manufacturer tightly controls the sales price, not allowing any retail outlet to discount it. One of our local home improvement stores did discount some of their appliances because the customers used the home improvement store credit cards on a promotion and the manufacturer pulled all of their stock from that store for 30 days.

How is it that I can get better support on a 30 year old outboard than on a brand new, name brand, supposedly high quality oven?

It just makes me wonder........

Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 AM   #3

New stuff (especially appliances) is a geared around a throwaway society. I have no trouble getting parts for my 1940 Farmall tractor. I can get many of them at the CASE (modern company name for IH /Farmall) tractor dealer parts counter just like going to a Ford dealer for parts to a 2 year old truck.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Maybe you should search the web for a 30 year old oven and buy that.

Sorry. It's winter. I'm already bored with it (it's snowing here). Since I can't camp, I have to resort to other ways to have a little fun.

Hope you understand.

Happy THanksgiving!
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #5

Maytag?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #6

The real answer is people. Someone chose to put you off for some time. Someone else chose to ship the needed parts right away. The bad news for you was the person choosing to put you off for some time is also the local person your depending on installing it. If it were me, I would just install the part myself, and when the guy shows up to fix it, tell him it looks like it just started working again. Then keep the extra's as spares for future outages of the same part.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
qdadq - the answer is "yep"

Charliez - you have NO IDEA how long I considered doing exactly what you suggested. In the end, I could have bought the part and installed it myself (I used to work on mainframe computers - this part was a piece of cake). My only concern was that the stove is under warranty and I wasn't absolutely positive that this was the only bad part.

By the way, the outboard part arrived today - 24 hours after ordering it.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My ordering sagas continue. Here are the latest ones:

1. Cummins - Ordered a hose. In stock and ready for pickup in 24 hours
2. Ford - ordered a clip for a hose on the air filter on my '89 Econoline. Had go to the dealer and pay in advance. After 2 1/2 months, they still cannot tell me about availability. Will return to the dealer today to get my money back. I've had to make one out of another type of part.
3. Freightliner - ordered qty. 2 of each of two parts. It took me 3 phone calls to get that far. Today, 3 of the 4 parts (a week and a half later)are in house, ready for pickup. Status for the 4th (wasn't in the system when the order was placed) still unknown. Order may have been cancelled by the system or screwed up by the person placing the order. Re-ordered today, should know status tomorrow. Had talked with Freightliner Custom Chassis about this part and was assured prior to my original order that their system would handle the out of stock condition. That remains to be seen.

It is clear that some organizations have their act together on parts better than others. I wonder how much of it is by design (not putting enough money into the parts systems) and how much is just plain incompetence. I can see why some of the repair facilities charge the rates that they do. If they need people to track down parts orders like I have to do, those costs have to be rolled into the business's overhead rate since no customer is going to directly pay for that time.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

My own ordering "saga" also revolves around people....In this instance it also revolves around a husband and wife that own the local vacuum cleaner dealership here.
Although relatively "simple" in nature,when the upper cord hook broke off,because it had the electrical switch in the assembly,I took the upright to the dealer A MONTH AGO. After some looking and writing,he said he would order the parts and I could take the unit and use it.
I called about ten days later and asked about the part,it wasn't in....OK.
Called about two weeks later,he made the statement that he "couldn't get the part because Simplicity would only send him so many parts at one time." HUH??
Finally decided to check online at a vacuum parts site I found through Google and found the parts for a total of $20 bucks.
They arrived Saturday from UPS,I had the thing apart and back together in about ten minutes...
Sheesh!!
All because I tried to support a local mom and pop business...
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">two weeks later,he made the statement that he "couldn't get the part because Simplicity would only send him so many parts at one time." HUH?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bull Hockey. It would have been extra for shipping and he didn't want to pay it. Shipping or waiting for parts people to get an order big enough to get a price break is 99.99999% of all the holdups on all of orders.

never beleive what they tell you. it's lies to cover thier cheapness and forgetfullness.

Here at work, we had a fiber cut, and needed a quick solution. We found a local computer shop that had a set of wireless bridges that another company had ordered. He let us have them, reordered some more and told the company that these belonged to that they got backordered.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure that you are correct, charliez. Being the cynic that I am, I believe that many of the stories that I'm told about why stuff doesn't arrive or is delayed are fabricated, probably right on the spot. Like it or not, most of these places work on the squeeky wheel or favoritism processes. If you aren't squeeking or are not on the most favored list, you are not going to get a satisfactory response.

BTW, my last part from Freighliner is still on backorder with a "target" delivery of the end of January. It gives me a real warm feeling that Freighliner would come through for me if I were in a crises situation, broken down and stuck somewhere.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Good one charlie....never even thought of that.
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #13

I have one for you.

Our dear puppy (said tongue in cheek) chewed through dh's laptop computer cord on Dec. 1. We were stuck. I was in the back using battery power and when I was low and came to plug it in, it was chewed. Here we were, no batter power, ac cord chewed. We had no desktop at the time. Well, I ran to find a cord. Finally found one at Staples. The cord was $139. It was a Kensington AC Power adapter that can be used in the car or at home and is universal for all brands of laptops. I figured, hey when we travel. Paid it, came home. The right tip for our computer was not in it. The box said that if it did not have your tip, to call, and they would send you the right tip at no cost. I called. They said 10-15 days. I was like no way. But I seem to be told all the time that it will be that long and I get it within a week. We waited and waited and waited. Bought a desktop in the meantime, which we needed to do but wanted to wait until January.

Anyway, Monday, the tip still was not here. We called and it had not even been shipped yet. We told them where to put the tip and that it was ridiculous that we paid that much and they could not even send us the right tip. We are returning it to staples and letting them know to be wary of Kensington in the future. Yesterday, dh called the maker of his laptop and they sent him a new one overnight, and we should get it today. It was only $39. We can't use it in the car, but the camper has regular outlets.

That is so ridiculous. Seriously, how hard is it to stick something in a box and send it out. You don't even have to bring it anywhere anymore, usps,ups, and fedex will all come and pick it up from you. I just wanted to slap somebody.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel your pain, Sandra. I tried one of those univeral kits, too, and was no more successful with it than you were.

By the way, if you do want to use your laptop in the car, they have 75watt inverters and can plug into the 12 volt outlet in a vehicle and the lap top's NEW power cord plugs into the back. You probably want to check to see if you laptop needs more power than that but mine works fine on th 75w and we run our GPS on the laptop for days at a time on it while we're traveling.