Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #29

Well, I am with the OP.....one of the main reasons I have an RV is for the "Escape Pod"....we have a sense of security knowing that we could be and probably will be on a very looooooooong camping trip very soon...and we know how to survive....we have a "retreat" in one of the most least populated parts of the lower U.S. and that is where we're headed when civil unrest starts up...we are keeping out RV stocked, we use it regularly (just got back from a week at the 'retreat') and we have a BLAST using it...the wife said one night, "so, when is the house going on the market"...she is ready for the full-time RV life NOW...we're getting closer, and we just keep improving on the MH and going RVing and seeing the GREAT UNITED STATES...there is soooo much here, I have no reason to leave the USA!!.....and like someone stated, I took the RED PILL, I want to be aware of what is going on, and NOT stick my head in the sand....knowledge is power and it eases the mind...be like a Boy Scout and always be prepared for the worst and hope for the best and trust in God!

So, erkme73, keep your face to the wind and your eyes on the horizon!...

(and I agree, this ain't political, it MATH and ECONOMICS...simply put)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
It is simple, it's all my fault.

Maybe it's time for the Moms and Dads of the world to Woman-up and Man-up!

HEAR HEAR! JIm

And my fault also...

FDR said it well 75 years ago, and it still applies today....

"There is nothing to fear, but FEAR itself!" I believe our perceptions shape what we percieve as reality...

If I choose to see the glass as "almost empty", then to me it IS "almost empty"

If I choose to see the glass as "still got some in it", then to me it IS "NOT empty"...

A man much wiser than me (and I wish I knew who he was so I could attribute this misquote to him) said..

"You can take almost everything away from a man; his property, his family, and even his life, but you can not take away one thing; his ability to choose how he views things."

Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And the engineer sees the glass as neither 1/2 full nor 1/2 empty...it is simply twice as large as it needed to be.

Ken
Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And the engineer sees the glass as neither 1/2 full nor 1/2 empty...it is simply twice as large as it needed to be.

Ken
So Ken, what you are saying is...

The current economic crisis facing this country are merely an engineering change required to "right size" the glass (economy)

I think I agree!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #33

LOL everyone here are so civil as to be almost unbelievable..I am on a couple of forums that have a politican sub-forum and conversations in there can become quite heated..However what goes on there stays there,,as a matter of fact on one forum the sub-forum is called fight club..If you ley your opinions carry over to other parts of the forum your post will at first be deleted if that doesn't work you will be barred.
I personaly enjoy a spirited debate even though there often no winners it sure gets you thinking..With that said I commend everyone here on exercising so much restraint..

Trueblue
Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a fine line between spirited debate and discussing a subject before it breaks in to a name calling war. iRV2 is an RV site and discussions are welcome...just no wars.

Like has been said...do not get into an arguement with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then he will win on experience.

This discussion is very marginal and is being watched. With that being said, let's enjoy our RVs.

Ken
Old 07-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #35

Ken- Whether the glass is half full or half empty is irrelevant, as long as there's more in the fridge
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Revolution

If a revolution ever breaks out in the US, I can tell you the day, hour and minute it will start.

The minute the goverment outlaws prayer before a Nascar race.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #37

I sold my business of 25 years in early 07. Hasn't worked out. Now I have it back and am shuttering it. Its my fault. I should have found a better buyer.

I can say this- budgets matter. The couple who bought my business made two economic errors. First, they spent without regard for their own future income (a quantity one can only estimate at best), and they did not work hard enough to guarantee their future income. Using that formula, they had fun "running" the business for a while. They are now bankrupt, are losing their house, and will be starting over with nothing at age 50. This has been a good lesson for them, and I believe they will do well over the next 20 years if they take the lesson, and stay positive. If they close their mind to the miracle of opportunity or otherwise cop a bad attitude, they will retire with social security and medicare.

Running a one person economy, a family economy, an advertising revenue based rv-internet business economy, or a national economy, budgets matter, and the ability of future income to stretch is important. That's basic economics. Books will be reconciled. Lots of books are being reconciled in America today. This is not a situation where a few people or one political party made bad choices and overspent available income. Lots of people of all persuasions mad bad choices and overspent.

I'm starting a new business. I have ideas & time on my hands. That's how all down cycles end- energetic people take matters into their own hands, small business generates 2 out of 3 jobs America needs to get moving forward again, and we earn our way back to good employment numbers, etc. This cycle is deeper than most, and we need as voters to do something about budgets, cuz we can't spend ourselves anywhere except the poor house. But we also need to earn. Budgets always need attention on both spending and earning sides, as the folks I sold the business to have learned.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
There is a fine line between spirited debate and discussing a subject before it breaks in to a name calling war. iRV2 is an RV site and discussions are welcome...just no wars.
Ken
Ken, perhaps it is just me but that seems to be the problem that we have come to as a society. We cannot seem to disagree on anything without spirited name calling from nearly all involved. I can remember classes in school were we practiced civilly disagreeing with each other and the teachers actually trying to spark debates that were handled with control. Apparently, open discussions like that went the way of the dodo bird.

It is really hard for me to separate RVing from the effects of the economy. We were fortunate to complete the trip that we planned last summer (22 days, 4,400 miles) when we had to pay $4.599/gallon for diesel at one point. As we inch closer to retirement, we are working hard at positioning ourselves to be able to continue to use our RV as we have done for the past 5 years. We've built into our planned budget the necessary factors for inflation, especially in healthcare but noone can plan for the huge changes that have been considered. We've seen our financial world turned upside down and, like many others, have seen what appeared to be solid, conservative investments erode by 30% with no recovery in sight. It certainly appears that I would have been better to have gone to Las Vegas with that money because at least there, I had a very remote chance of "winning." I see nothing in the any of the considerations on the table from anyone that I believe is going to get us rolling again financially. Between the corruption (another ponzi scheme was announced in oil yesterday) and governmental takeovers and tinkering, the prospects for financial growth over the next 10 years seem bleak indeed.

The glass is NOT twice as big as it needed to be. I knew exactly how much it should have had in it and planned to put it there. That it remains half full (or less) is only because the rest of the "volume" has been siphoned off to uses that others had deemed important. The reasons behnd that importance continue to escape me.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #39

Jayco Owners Club
Great attitude Eng.Mike. Sorry about your hit on the previous sale of your business but sounds like your on your way to another success.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Absolutely not! The U.S. has seen bad economic times before and we've always survived. If I had the same feeling of despair that you do...particularly at such a young age...I think I'd just end it all and be done with it.
I agree with you Linda. The U.S. has been through really tough times before and we survived. That's part of our nature as being Americans. Sure, right now it's a struggle for a lot of folks but better times are ahead for all of us. I'm sure that we could all look at the doom and gloom if we wanted to, but what about a little optimism?

I see all of the media reports about how bad it is. Yes, the housing sales here in Florida still sucks but I believe that will change in the next year or so. Most American have gotten to impatient. We want things now. This perfect storm as the OP suggests has been brewing for a while and it's going to take some time to get out of the hole that has been dug. But we will get out of it.

I suppose if you can't deal with it you could always pack up and move to another country.
Do you really think the grass is greener somewhere else?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #41

Bounder 94

You nailed it. Wasn't going to get involved, BUT I feel I owe something to the Rvers who have helped me, so he goes.

1. Retired NAVY, 28 years, specialties can't be discussed.

2. BS Economics

3. Have read 250+ economic books

4. Read 50-100 online newspapers(including international per day. 30-50 before I retired.

5. Still "plugged in" with some of my military "friends"

OK, after financials meltdown, AIG fiasco, GM/Chrysler, etc etc you would think we have hit the rock bottom. Nope. next is the ARM blow-up on mortages, then the derivatives market blow-up, then the credit card default blow-up and then virtually no countries are buying out 10, 15 and 20 year bonds cause are currency is devalued.

I hope these don't occurr as someone people are saying enough, BUT in preparation, your RV is your escape pod. Ask any German, Pole, Russian or Czech that you know who is a least 70 how his country collapsed and their answers will scare you.

I highly suggest your escape pod be:

RV ALWAYS 3/4 full of gas. No exception

Buy as much of the packaged tuna and boxed noodles as you can pack in your RV. Light and filling.

Propane tank used in BBQ grills(FULL)

Filter system sold by REI and other camping store to filter stream water for drinking and cooking.

Solar shower(Saves propane and can be filled from streams/lakes)

Battery operated radio and a crank operated radio and batteries

This is in addition to other stuff most RVers have.

I "personally" think there is only a 10% chance there will be civil unrest but as the scouts say "be prepared"

Last but not least. Some sort of protection and I don't mean a butterknife. As my brother,a former police officer used to say, I am not there to protect you, I am there to gather evidence after the crime has occurred.
And lastly, a secure location at least 5 hours from a metropolitan area if you live west of the Misissippi and 3 hours if you live on the West/East coast and as high up in altitude as weather will permit. Helper up you go, cleaner the water is and better you chances for fishing/hunting.

This not meant to scare anyone, but you need to be prepared. I am 61 and I have never seen so many people who I have talked with scared about the future.

And lastly for my veteran friends. During any civil unrest the National Guard is usually called out. There is a grassroots movement called Oathkeepers comprised of veterans who verbally and in writing have stated they will not harm citizens trying to protect their homes or feed their family. We have your back America

NAVYBLUE
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #42

Back 25-30 years ago, maybe a few more, some of the gun mags I used to subscribe to had survivalist columns in them. One of the best pieces of advice I remember was that you should move to a small rural town and become part of the community. If you were alone in your mountain cabin with all your guns and the outlaw biker gangs that were supposed to form after the collaps of civilization, decided to take you out, they would fairly easily, as you were basically alone. The rationalization was that most small rural towns were full of hunters, gardeners, and fishermen, and could become self sufficient, and could also collectively defend themselves.