Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Implosion of US economic and governmental systems... what if...

At 36, married to ER doctor (just finishing residency), I don't fit what I saw as the traditional RV'er. As a pre-teen, my parents owned a 1980 something 25' Linde - and we had many four-week long camping trips. I truly enjoyed it.

But, without kids, the wife and I have had little reason to consider getting into RVing this 'early' in life.

Then came September 08 - when the economic meltdown revealed how interconnected (and manipulated) everything is. In a matter of days, according to some in congress, and some Nobel prize-winning economists, we came within hours of complete disintegration of our government as we know it.

Up to that point, I was like anyone else - watching my investments, but not truly understanding how the machinery worked. I believed what was reported on the news, and with some skepticism, wanted to trust our politicians promises. Then reality hit (or as in the Matrix, Mopheous gave me the red pill) and my eyes opened.

Understanding that a perfect storm has been brewing for many, many decades, I firmly believe that life is about to become drastically more uncomfortable. Without going into too many details of my paranoia (which is hopefully all it is), I belive:

1. The fraud of wall street, the take over of our political system by the banking industry (Federal Reserve).
  2. Legalized side-betting (credit default swaps and collateralized debt obligations)
  3. Unprecedented levels of fraud (i.e. Maddoff, Stanford, etc.).
  4. Our lack of any substantial manufacturing to help us lessen trade deficits.
  5. Brazil, India, China, and Russia organizing to dump the US$ as the world's reserve currency.
  6. The International Monetary Fund issuing bonds (unprecedented).
  7. Outsourcing of US jobs to the far east.
  8. Foreign exodus from US Treasuries as investments (Japan had two government finance employees trying to smuggle 134 BILLION US$ to Switzerland - but they were caught in Italy. Not a word about this in the US press.
  9. Demand for US Treasuries is so low that Federal Reserve is buying the notes, and then giving the bill back to the Treasury (for tax payers to pay) - in essence PRINTING money - AKA Quantitative Easing.
  10. States are now paying with IOU's (fake currency) because of budget shortfalls.
For every one of these points, there are about 20 more that I don't understand enough to explain. Each and every one of these issues, while damning on their right, combined, are potentially catastrophic.

For example, if the nations of this world decided to no longer re-invest their trade surpluses into the US (via Treasuries), our debt funding will stop. At that point, we won't be able to pay our Visa with our Mastercard. The only thing left will be to print the money which, of course will devalue the rest of our savings through hyper inflation. Real world consequences? $1000 to fill up your car.

If the Federal government can't afford to pay it's millions of employees (which include police, military, and other branches that protect us from them, but also us from us), chaos will ensue. Unlike the Great Depression, where honest people did honest work to feed their kids, today's MEMEME generation will simply take from those that have.

If no police come, how long will it take for the neighbor with three starving children to come visit you with gun in hand? Already they're ripping the copper wiring out of forclosed homes, manhole covers off the streets in NYC. It will get much much worse.

And thus is my reason for my RV. If (and God do I hope I'm wrong) our economic and government system collapse, there will be complete lawlessness. The most ethical, moral, nice guy will fell justified to kill to save his children. I do not want to be there when this happens.

So my RV is my escape hatch. When I see the orange glow over the cities from the sprialing rioting and civil unrest, I will unplug, and head for the hills - or until I run out of gas.

Anone else feel an overwhelming sense of despair?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A sense of despair yes, overwhelming, no! It is relatively normal to look at all potential aspects of a problem. Probably the only saving grace in all of this current mess, is we were bold enough and big enough and arrogant enough to be able to pull the entire rest of the world down into the muck with us.

All those phony financial instruments that caused the "leverage problem" were sold to most of the rest of the world. Our banks and financial institutions held a relatively small percentage of our total worth compared to the other countries that held our debt. This unique phenomena will allow us time to claw our way back at a faster or equal pace to those other countries we duped!

A side note, my DW wanted a pistol which I acquired for her. We have tried for almost a month to get ammunition for it, it is sold out before they get it on the shelves. It would seem that more people than you would think share your concerns.

I will keep the MH and the 35 acres with water in the middle of nowhere Colorado, just in case!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
NOw I REALLY feel good!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #4

You've put into print something the vast majority of people don't want to hear, even it they know it's true. This "head in the sand" mentality, mostly by politicians, got us here.
I agree, the U.S. media controls what information the population gets to hear. That's why I listen to BBC and other foreign news whenever possible.
Camping is great! I've been contemplating buying a 15A site in South-central CO near Alamosa.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Just a brief note here before this thread morphs into a political discussion:

Political discussions aren't permitted and posts of that nature may result in this discussion being closed.

Copied and pasted from our Community Rules:

Quote:
Be Appropriate!
Please don't post it here if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother. Posts containing explicit, obscene or vulgar language, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter may be removed or edited at our discretion. Discussion of politics and religion is not permitted.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think were safe so far, but maybe on the border!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #7

Sorry about that... Just thought I'd share why I got into RVing... And wanted to see if there were any tinfoil hat wearing others.

Not challenging the rules, but what's the reason for avoiding political discussion? Too much bandwidth or service space?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Maybe, just maybe, Chicken Little was right. We do not think that the OP is alone in their concerns. This venture into unreality has to end somewhere.

Best, Jack&Rita
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Not challenging the rules, but what's the reason for avoiding political discussion? Too much bandwidth or service space?
Political discussions always turn into personal attacks and inappropriate posts because of differing viewpoints.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
... Just thought I'd share why I got into RVing...
That was about the weakest trolling attempt I've ever seen!

JMHO
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #11

This is not Politics, it is Reality. Politics is the lies that both Dems and Repub continually tell us to maintain control. It will take the American people to get us out of this mess the politians have gotten us into. Yes, you can blame the financial gurus (NOT) but also a lot at those Dems and Repubs who behind the scenes took the cold hard cash to stay in power and formulated or looked the other way when rules needed fixing.

USAFWXCHIEF
Old 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #12

Hey erkme73,

We are right there with you. However, we must be careful not to shoot each other accidently in the foray. We have no "spot" we feel safe, but we hope we can go freely when we need to.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Anone else feel an overwhelming sense of despair?
Absolutely not! The U.S. has seen bad economic times before and we've always survived. If I had the same feeling of despair that you do...particularly at such a young age...I think I'd just end it all and be done with it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Absolutely not! The U.S. has seen bad economic times before and we've always survived. If I had the same feeling of despair that you do...particularly at such a young age...I think I'd just end it all and be done with it.
Maybe a little harsh!

I had a good friend when I was in my early twenties. His Mother-In-Law was an alcoholic. After he and his wife bailed her repeatedly out of trouble, one night she called him and said she was going to blow her brains out. In frustration, he said, go ahead, it would be the best thing she could do for the family. She hung up the phone and blew her brains out. It destroyed his family and his marriage and still affects him to this day.

Ever since I tend to be a little more sensitive to telling people to go ahead and end it!
Closed Thread