Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In The Still Of The Night

Ah! Memories!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What we need to do is to teach our grandkids about these simple things that we remember so well. When did you last see kids playing marbles, spinning tops or heaven forbid...mumbly-peg. Remember how much fun it was to get a new Yo-Yo and take it to school to show off at recess. Now they use the marbles to shoot at people and when the knife comes out...you had better have your pistol.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"You Can't Go Home Again" ...........Thomas Wolfe,
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember every last one of those and so many more....

Now ya made me feel really old!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember most of them, life was les stressful, 3 channels on TV in Black &White, no remote, thanks Wayne
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah Rick. The B&W 3 channel days. Test pattern all day long until about 4 p.m., then Kate Smith, then news, then a comedy, then news and then test patter again until 4 p.m. the next day.

During the test pattern, lying down in front of the radio, listening to "The Shadow," "Green Lantern," "The Lone Ranger," and many more.

Isn't it amazing that when outside playing "Cowboys and Indians" how many sticks could be made to look like a pistol or rifle, or bow and arrow?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Yes i remember all of those and a few more. I kept my favorite sticks in the garage ready and waiting for the next attack from the next street over.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Sweet, sweet memories......
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Kids today will never know what they are missing. It wasn't just a different time, it was a different world. Thanks Wayne for bringing a tear to my eyes and fond memories back.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I remember making and flying my own kites. I would use the clear plastic from the cleaners when my mother had her clothes cleaned. The sticks for the kite usually came from climbing a tree to retrieve an old kite that other kids got hung up in the tree limbs.

I would also use the plastic from the cleaner bags to make my own GI Joe parachutes.

Then there were the balsam wood rubber band airplanes we purchased for 25 cents at the local convenience store. The ones with the plastic wheels were the best!

I also had my spin tops and yo-yo. The brand to have was “Duncan”. Does anyone remember the top that split in half when you threw it? It became 2 separate spinning tops.

I collected and played marbles too! Some of their names were: crystals, cat eyes, rainbows and steely.

And don’t forget the steel roller skates that made our concrete driveways a roller rink.

Yep, those were the days!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #11

Love " The Platters"
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, you had plastic bags to make kites. We used sticks we split from crates, newspaper and home made flour and sugar glue. The kite tail was string with pieces of rag tied to it.

Remember taking your skated and making a "go-cart" or a scooter from scrap wood.

Remember looking for the percfect stick to make a sling-shot and cutting up old bicycle tubes for the rubber.

I think, I am going to make sling shot for my grandson and see how much trouble he can get into.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, What memories this has brought back. As I was watching I found myself turning up the volume louder and louder. A great flashback in my youth. I could relate to every bit of it. My mind was going faster than I thought it could. I feel sorry for those who have missed what we had back then. I miss it now. I'll have a great day now. More than likely play it several more times today. Thanks Wayne
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wow, you had plastic bags to make kites. We used sticks we split from crates, newspaper and home made flour and sugar glue. The kite tail was string with pieces of rag tied to it.

Remember taking your skated and making a "go-cart" or a scooter from scrap wood.

Remember looking for the percfect stick to make a sling-shot and cutting up old bicycle tubes for the rubber.

I think, I am going to make sling shot for my grandson and see how much trouble he can get into.

Ken
Ken do you remember when the rubber was red? not black. It made great sling shots. I guess I am old. Thanks to Wayne feel younger.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote