Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

I carried my BCBS fed plan into retirement. This year I'm elgible for Medicae and the BCBS plan became secondary ins. They do pay for all the deductibles for medicare but the cost of the ins went up about $30/month. The copays went up and the RX copays went up. However now I don't have a copay for DR. visits. Everything costs more these days, gas, ins, groceries, etc. and like the previous poster stated no COLA becuse the CPI says there has been no increase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Hey Sarge,

I'm guessing (hoping) you are aware that your secondary is TFL and as such you should little or no healthcare bills???
Yes I am aware of it. When I enlisted in June 1947 the recruiter promised lifetime medical care. Finally, in 1994 the promise was legislated. I posted above to show what medicare officially paid and the amount the inpatient should be billed. Sometimes, although you stay overnight you are still considered an outpatient and the billing has co-pays instead of the deductible. I suspect the $350 bills were outpatient and only the hospital can tell for which he was billed.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
And the government says we don't need a cost of living increase.
BOB
I got my letter stating that my benefit would not change because the cost of living had not changed, however, Congress and other Government employees got raises.. in the time of a bad economy.. guess we know where the government priority is.
Helen

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Surrender your US citizenship, move to Mexico for a few days then swim the RG and get free healthcare. Seems to work for some others.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #19

Was told that I could not use Medicare and Tricare for life together. Had to be one or the other. Due to traveling i chose medicare and draw my scripts from the military
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
No increase here, and with our Tricare for Life Supplemental picking up the differences that Medicare does not pay we are really pleased with our coverage. No out of pockent in the six years we have been using Medicare, and that includes two hip replacements and cataract surgeries.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Was told that I could not use Medicare and Tricare for life together. Had to be one or the other. Due to traveling i chose medicare and draw my scripts from the military
What circumstance causes you unable to use both? By what means would you qualify for Tricare For Life?
TRICARE For Life (TFL) is TRICARE's Medicare-wraparound coverage available to all Medicare-eligible TRICARE beneficiaries, regardless of age or place of residence, provided they have Medicare Parts A and B.
While Medicare is your primary insurance, TRICARE acts as your secondary payer minimizing your out-of-pocket expenses. TRICARE benefits include covering Medicare's coinsurance and deductible.
TRICARE For Life
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeduffer View Post
No increase here, and with our Tricare for Life Supplemental picking up the differences that Medicare does not pay we are really pleased with our coverage. No out of pockent in the six years we have been using Medicare, and that includes two hip replacements and cataract surgeries.
If $94.60 a month comes out of your social security to pay for Medicare, what do you pay for the Tricare? Is it and HMO intigrated with Medicare or a private company that you pay for as a supplement? Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
We didn't get any increases but changed plans with AARP/United Health to AARP/United complete. We don't pay any premium for the supplement or RX but do pay co-pay if we use services. Savings $4,600.00 for 2011 less anything we might have to co-pay. We are in good health and hope to stay that way. With regular doctor appointments and drugs it should cost us about $600.00 for 2011 out of the $4,600.00 savings.
DW and I have health problems and we go through the initial RX coverage and then the donut whole and then catastrophic. It is not unusual to pay $2,000 a month just in RX. Next year I may have to check out other coverages, but I need to keep my doctor who is an expert in my chronic problems. In 2010 my DW had five operations and I had one. It was a bad year and the bills are still coming. Happy travels, Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!!!! TFL is a RIGHT, not a privilege, I don't care what it may be officially called. Get hold of your VA rep and have him start your TFL. It should've been started automatically. You are entitled to TFL as long as you were honorably discharged and draw Medicare. If there is some other reason for not drawing it, I'm unaware of it.

I just took the following off the mytricareforlife.com site: "TRICARE For Life (TFL) is a Medicare supplement entitlement for Medicare-eligible military retirees and their dependents over 65 who are enrolled in Medicare Part B. There are no enrollment fees or premiums for TRICARE For Life (TFL). See what healthcare TRICARE For Life (TFL) covers and who pays.

Retirees and their eligible beneficiaries must be enrolled in Medicare Part B in order to join this program."
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
If $94.60 a month comes out of your social security to pay for Medicare, what do you pay for the Tricare? Is it and HMO intigrated with Medicare or a private company that you pay for as a supplement? Joe
The monthly bill is now over $100 and, if you are qualified (over 65 and retired from military) you pay nothing for TFL. You pay NOTHING for TFL! Also, you can and should use something like Express Scripts for your prescriptions, unless you live close to a military facility where you can get them for free.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Thank Good for Tricare for Life. I have probalby already had over a million dollars of medical cost since 1995. 7 operations, 3 years cancer treatment, heart attack and Atrial fibrilation, On oxygen and so many CTs and MRI and X-rays I have lost count of.

I really truly feel for those who have no or limited insurance.
Det-Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #27

My part B premium is raising from $96.xx to $115.xx this year if the letter I received from MEDICARE is correct.

Quote:
I have TRICARE standard and it pays after MEDICARE has paid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
USFHP is our company. It is associated with TFL. Prior to turning 65 we paid $470 a year for the both of us. After turning 65 and enrolling in Medicare Part B, the $470 a year was dropped but we both paid close to $100 ($200 total) to Medicare. Quite a difference between $470 and $2200 a year. We have absolutely no complaints. Everything is $0 deductible now. This includes any and all equipment one must have to recuperate from any type of operation or replacement. My total Knee replacement was $0. My Rotator cuff surgery was $0. My other rotator cuff surgery will be $0, and my other knee replacement will be $0.

USFHP (TFL) is our primary and Medicare is the secondary. The only time I can use the Medicare card is for a service that is not provided by TFL, like maybe a Chiropractor, but then I must reach a yearly maximum before I would not have to pay anything for Medicare services. So, I do not deal with Medicare except to pay them monthly, and that is automatic deductions from me out of the SS pension, and a check from DW. (She is Civil Service - no SS)

We have had no problems in our travels. If it is an emergency, any emergency room can be used, anywhere in the country, and our USFHP will pick up the bill in a true emergency. If it is deemed not to be an emergency we would have to pick up a co-pay. For all other non-emergency items, I just call the 800 number and they tell me who in the area to use. Most Urgent Care facilities. On the last trip we received a bill for over $200 for DW's visit to an "Urgent Care." It was one suggested by USFHP. They stated that they did not recognize our insurance. A call to USFHP, got their address, called the billing entity back and give them the address to send the bill. We never heard another word.

The point - primary care is in the hands of the insurer and not all primary care is the same, but close.

I truly hope the Government does not muck this all up.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote