Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Incredible waste of money

Federal Government property at the Soo Locks in Sault Ste Marie, MI. The lock park and visitor center is well kept, with sidewalks lined with shade trees for people waiting for the big ships to enter the locks. Some federal bureaucrat has decided to make the park "historically accurate" to the 1940's by having a contractor cut down all the trees and plant new ones. Unbelievable...

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
Federal Government property at the Soo Locks in Sault Ste Marie, MI. The lock park and visitor center is well kept, with sidewalks lined with shade trees for people waiting for the big ships to enter the locks. Some federal bureaucrat has decided to make the park "historically accurate" to the 1940's by having a contractor cut down all the trees and plant new ones. Unbelievable...
I guess the next logical step for our brilliant legislators would be to sink all of the modern ships and replace them with Liberty ships to be "historically accurate".

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now a lot of people dont know this but........TREES WEAR OUT OVER TIME.....(cough cough).... Yes folks, Trees wear out and they must be replaced. Think of all the leaves they have produced over the years and all that ''shade'' they have provided and all those limbs that are favored by birds to build their nests and the squirrels that have ran up and down those trunks digging in their little toe nails and doing stuff like that. (hack hack) And think about this. Replacing these old ''worn out trees'' will provide jobs for wood cutters, wood hauler offers, limb raker uppers, hold diggers, tree planters, survey people to align the new trees in a nice line. hole filler uppers, several supervisors to watch the complete process and pass judgment on the complete process and of course Bureaucrats to come out and ''dedicate the new trees as politically correct..(cough cough) These new trees could solve our un employment crisis and you un liberal minded people dont even see that.
Of course this is just my opinion, yours may be different....(hack hack)

God bless our vets especially the WW2 guys still with us......
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There may be another reason... However without research I can not tell you.. So I'm going to ask YOU to do the research.

What kind of trees are those?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #5

Maybe they need the wood (i know they don't use wood) to make paper money to replace the 100 dollar bill printing fiasco.
Government can’t print money properly - Yahoo! News

I would gladly help out sorting this money for a small cut.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

How about if they really make the area historically accurate... Like to the time BEFORE the locks were built!

I think they just need to replace the trees, as they require replacing due to age, disease and/or damage with the (I assume) indigenous trees. That would make the most sense to me. But then I'm not a politician who has unlimited access to other peoples money.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna I used to live about a mile north of those locks in Canada eh! Those trees were replaced every time a locks system was rebuilt and made larger. So it looks like the bureaucrats have now run out of building money and they are now starting to use their redecorating money.

It sure is nice have a country nearby who throw money around like it grows on trees (no pun intended) to make it purdy for us furinors to come visit alla time.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
... Lorna I used to live about a mile north of those locks in Canada eh! Those trees were replaced every time a locks system was rebuilt and made larger...
I pretty much figured that one out. When they needed more parking, they more than likely cut down a few trees to make room for the bigger parking lot. I'm sure that they had no problem taking out the trees. Kinda funny, they want to replace the trees not just add more of them.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Some things are too incredible to explain.
Attached Images

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
To give more info, I also thought, upon first seeing the tree removal, that it was a disease issue. After researching it, I found that it was not disease but the mentioned "historically accurate" reason. People around here are upset bigtime.

340 RK
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
DFR you obviously still live close. I enjoyed my years at the mill in Soo ON but couldn't handle the winters. I also remember all the problems around rebuilding the rapids for the native fish and on my last visit I found that the province of Ontario made all our work moot by closing the rapids to fishing, bureaucracy run amuck.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Yeah, I'm still here. Right now the windchill outside is about 5 degrees farenheit. We received about 8 inches of the white stuff today. I tried to tell the DW to winterize the coach by moving it to a warmer place but she wouldn't go for it.

340 RK
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
And the unemployment rate in MI is what? Sounds typical ..