Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #197

We are taking 75 down. First stop will be Renfro Valley KOA, about 250 miles. Second day will be 600 miles to Tiftin, GA I-75 RV Park. Then about 200 miles on Saturday morning, arriving around check in time.

On the way home just doing two long days, about 8 hrs each day. Stop is in Chattanooga, TN. Haven't picked a campground yet.

Did some prep today. Had a tire that lost air on our last trip out. Aired it up when winterizing, but it was really low again today. So, pulled it off and will have local tire place check it out and probably just replace it.

Also touched up some caulking on trim, lights, etc. Also replaced a tube on my bicycle tire and aired up all 8 bike tires. Will be doing pedal power in the campground instead of golf cart.

Getting excited for this trip, and for camping season in general.
Take care

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #198

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
We are taking 75 down.

Getting excited for this trip, and for camping season in general.
Take care
Yup - your trip is coming up..........good for you guys.

We have added Cedar Point, OH to our trips this year - definitely not Ft W but good enough for this year as the granddaughter is only 2. Cedar Point will be more for my daughter and her husband........LOL But I look forward to that trip to DW in a couple years.

We will be heading down to FLA next winter for awhile.........I am going to travel down 65 tho, avoid some of the mountains through Tennesse. Stopping in Nashville KOA the first night and Ozark, AL KOA the second night. Ft Rucker is in Ozark, a place I always wanted to go......it is home of Army Aviation. Then make the long drive to South Central FLA the 3rd day........we are looking forward to it.

Safe travels - I believe going to DW is probably like taking an ocean cruise, and a good rule of thumb is, "Lay out all the clothes you want to take - only take half, consider all the money you plan on taking, double it!"

Have fun.......

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #199

We're on our way! Just settling in at Renfro Valley KOa for our first stop. Rained hard about 1 hr, lost running lights on trailer about dusk. Worked fine at home. Will clean off contacts and check fuses in the AM.
Plan is to get to Tiftin or Valdosta GA tomorrow, then cruise on in to Orlando Saturday AM.
The girls did great on this leg. Tomorrow will be a long day for them.
Oh yea, and I forgot to mention the 25 mph headwinds that knocked 2+ mpg off my average! Oh well, it's only money!
Later y'all
Old 04-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #200

Arrived in Valdesto, GA a short while ago. Lots of Atlanta traffic despite being there just after noon. Oh well - just part of it.
Drove through some rain again, but no real wind which was nice.
Got the lights working after cleaning contacts and replacing fuse. It was one of those new style Ford fuses, Carquest in Mt Vernon KY had exactly one of them in stock.
At Valdosta Oaks campground, just north of the town and RIGHT off the interstate. Nice enough place and very nice office staff.
Have about 3.5 hrs to Disney in the morning. Hopefully can check in early but not holding my breath.
Good evening all.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #201

Hi all, I just ran into this rather long and old post. I'm from Fishers, bought a motorhome in January at the Indy show. Haven't been out in it yet, as I have been waiting patiently for the nighttime temps to get above freezing. I have several trips planned including the Pacific NW, my son's live in the Seattle area, the Southwest, Arizona, and the northeast in the fall, and maybe down to the Florida Keys, I guess that about covers the country. As luck would have it, my MIL went into hospice literally the day after we bought the motorhome, and all plans for trips this year have disappeared. My DW doesn't even want to take a shakedown weekend to Greenfield.
sadixon49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #202

Sadixon,
Welcome to the IN thread. Sorry to hear about your MIL.
What MH did you get?

We are down in Ft Wilderness now. Easy drive from Valdosta, except for the heavy rain again today.
Took the I91 toll road and sailed right in without any delays or slowdowns. Worth every penny!
Able to check in 2 hrs early, in loop 1400. Nice sites, plenty of room to navigate.
Spent the afternoon at Downtown Disney, tomorrow starts 5 days at the parks!!

Hope all's well.
Brian
Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #203

Hi Brian, I've been to Disneyworld camping once. I had a 24' TT in the 80's, camped at FW, thought then, it was the very best campground I had ever seen. From what I've read recently, things haven't changed much, still one of the best campgrounds in USA.
sadixon49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #204

Well, Disney magic is coming to an end for us. We got rained out Saturday so we have a day of park pass left and hand we'll use it tomorrow instead of driving back. Can't extend our reservation at Ft W, so we will check out, go to Magic Kingdom, then start driving home around 3 pm. Not yet sure how far we will get tomorrow, where we will stay, or if we will take 1 or 2 nights to get back. We are flexible!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #205

I forgot to post these from Anchor Down in Dandridge TN. We were there for Thanksgiving. What a great resort. 400 + miles Indy. Almost every site has a view of the lake.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Looks like we had the sam
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #206

Looks like we had the same spot!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #207

We made it home safe and sound. Ended up leaving Disney 3 pm Thursday, had no problems getting out of Orlando. Our goal was North of Atlanta before we stopped, but we got stuck in a horrendous backup about an hour south of the city.
We decided to do a very un-camper-like thing and got a hotel room for the night. Got to bed around 10, got back up at 5 to get back on the road.
Made it through Atlanta with no problem.
Kept on trucking all day, and pulled into our drive at 5:30 pm.
50 degrees colder, and snow showers. . .yuck.

So, conclusion is that taking the TT to Disney from Indy is doable, but takes some time. We spent 19.5 hrs on the road going down, and 18.5 on the way back, spent about $360 on fuel plus $200 in camping and hotel for the trips down and back. Compared to $1,600 in airfare plus saving almost ,$1,000 staying at Ft Wilderness vs a Disney resort hotel, the finances definitely make sense. Not 100% sure we will do it again, but then we just got back so it is probably a little premature to come to any firm conclusions.

Now on to our normal, local trips. Looking at weekend of April 22 to do something close to home.
PS: nothing like having to re-winterize the entire TT after having driven for 12 hours. . .darn weather!!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #208

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
We made it home safe and sound.
Good for you guys........welcome home!

So if ever considering this trip again, would you take 65 south and work your way over to 75?

We've done the 75 thing thru 'Etlanta and the Smokey's..........next winter I am taking 65 down............does not add too many miles or time to the trip and we are in no hurry.....and get to skip Georgia and the curvy mountain roads!

So - tell me about FT W. What did you like, what did you not like? What is a "Don't miss" and "Miss at all costs". We'll be there with the granddaughter hopefully in a couple years - daughter is talking about going down now and Little Missy is only 2! I'd rather go when she can at least remember the trip! LOL

Glad y'all had a safe trip and had fun!

We are at Prophets Town Memorial Day - perhaps we will meet up again at a camp ground - let's make sure we at least meet this time!!!!Hahahahaha

Take care,

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #209

I liked the 75 route - pretty scenery, fewest miles. If I still had the RAM 1500, I'd probably feel differently, but no regrets. Atlanta is mostly about timing, but is manageable. We took the East bypass going down, but went straight through on 75 coming back.
With that said, if we did it again, I might do a different route just to see and stop in different areas.
As for Ft Wilderness, we were in site 1461, in a premium, non pet loop. Site was plenty big enough, and overall in a nice spot. I'd definitely recommend a premium site - not that much more $$ and much nicer sites based on what we saw when we drove through the campground on our last evening there.
We did not take or rent a golf cart. Took our bikes but only used them for recreation and to get to the pool. Thus, we relied on the Ft W bus system to get us from campsite to marina (for Magic Kingdom) or bus depot for all other destinations. Reason I mention is that I thought the bus service in the campground could have been better. Seems like we wasted some time waiting, which isn't much fun. Would probably look at a golf cart next time.
For things to do in Ft W, we honestly didn't do much due to time, but there is a ton to do. We swam a lot and the pools are typical Disney standards, extremely nice and well maintained.
We also did the Hoop De Doo review dinner theater show and it was very nice. If we had time, the marina had a variety of boats for rent, and there was also horseback riding.
FYI, check in is officially 1 pm, but apparently you are almost always able to come in after 11 am and go straight to your site.

Hope that is helpful. If you have other questions, let me know.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Planning, IMHO, is half the fun.........I have planned many an ocean cruise in the Caribbean, Pacific, and Europe and the stops along the way.....now it's the RV life...!

I am already making campground reservations, for this year - One event we wanted to go to is already sold out. LOL

I am interested in how many nights you will take to get to FLA. Angie and I will be "snowbirds" next winter, heading to the Ft Meyers area. Normally I would make the trip in 2 days but driving a motor coach.......?????

Not sure how you're going down, but I will travel all the way south on 65 turning east at Montgomery, AL, then start heading south again in FLA. This way I stay out of Atlanta and I am told the mountains are not as bad as I will be towing at my limit.

There is a well reviewed KOA in Ozark, AL, which is where I would like to make the first day out - but it is 670 miles south - a "good" drive!! I'll probably turn it into 2 nights travel.

I don't think I am much for staying in a Rest Area or Wal-Mart......

g
The I 65 KY bridge southbound is closed for 6 months, detours are marked.
When we go to FT. Myers Beach for the winter we take 4 days for the trip from INDY. Stop #1 is just South of the AL/TN line, stop #2 is Camping World overnight lot w/ elect. at Dothan, AL, stop #3 is on I 75 just South of I 10, stop #4 is Ft. Myers Beach RV resort.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote