Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #239

Had a great 3 nights at White River. Got a bit warm, but not too terrible. We took a nice 3 hr canoe trip that ended at the campground. Water was flowing very fast at the landing point and my poor wife took an unexpected dip in the river. No harm done and we had a good laugh about it that evening.

The Solaire continues to perform well for us. I need to do a deep clean of the black tank as my tank level sensor never reads below 2/3 full. Otherwise, knock on wood, all mechanicals continue to work well. And, she really looked nice after the wash/wax I gave her last week!

Next trip planned at this point is to South Haven MI Jellystone for a week with the extended family, but maybe we'll figure out how to get another weekend trip squeezed in before that.
Take care.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 AM   #240

I think White River is a real treasure. I feel like I am much farther than the other side of the county when we go there. It is only getting better with all the projects in the work at surrounding park that will be accessible by the bike/pedi bridge going in. Archery, biking, hiking, swimming, ziplines, canoeing, fishing all help to make it one of the best bargins around at $25/night.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #241

Alpine Owners Club
We will have to try White River again. Last time we were there was 2012. Seemed a bit tight where we were. I think we backed up to the river...which stands to reason.

What section of the campground is the best?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #242

There are 4 sections. To the left as you enter is a short row backing up onto the river, full hookup I believe.

Next is a double row of full hookup, half on the river, half backing up to a small pond and woods.

Third are water/electric only, a single row of sites but some of the most spacious in the campground. They do not back onto the river.

Finally are the back sites, smaller and many really only suitable for units less than 25 ft long. They line the south end of the property with many of them backing onto a woods. These too are water/electric.
Oh. And there are some tent sites too if you feel like roughing it.

We usually end up in the back because we don't make reservations early enough, but now with the TT it is really tight back there. Will now only stat in one of the first 3 sections. This past weekend we were in the second section with full hookups, which was nice.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Indiana Members,

My wife and I would like to look for a Class A. I live in Vincennes and we have no dealers in our area who have Class A's. Can someone suggest where I might be able to see something? We would like 29-32 and under 85k.

Where could I look?

Phil
Check out Wetnight RV website, they are just North of Terre Haute on 41.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #244

For Father's Day, I got one of those maps of the US with peel and stick stickers for each state you've camped in. After putting a few stickers on it, we realized we need to get out more!

Our criteria are that we all had to be there (me, wife, both daughters) and even a 1-night quick stop en route to a final destination would count.

Had to eliminate Alabama, Illinois, and Pennsylvania as not all 4 of us were on this earth yet (well, I guess technically we all were in PA, as we found out on that trip that we were pregnant with daughter #2!!). That just left us with IN, MI, OH, TN, GA, FL.

So, finally, to my question. Anybody have a suggestion for an easy (as in 3-day weekend) trip to Illinois or Kentucky? Something close to the IN border to minimize drive time, but still want a nice/fun area to visit. That'll help us get two more on our map.

In addition, we (mostly me, but getting my wife on board) are starting to plan out a mega trip for next summer. Looking at a 2-week whirlwind out west (Badlands, Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone/Tetons). That'll check a few states off the list for sure! We'll see if we can actually make it happen, but heck we did Ft. Wilderness so we'll see how this goes. . .

Hope all's well.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #245

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
For Father's Day, I got one of those maps of the US with peel and stick stickers.........

So, finally, to my question. Anybody have a suggestion for an easy (as in 3-day weekend) trip to Illinois or Kentucky? Something close to the IN border to minimize drive time, but still want a nice/fun area to visit. That'll help us get two more on our map.

Hope all's well.
For Kentucky, think about Mammoth Cave area. It is a straight shot down I65.

The cave(s) are beautiful, something for the whole family.

And if you get enough of the caves, a short drive south on 65 will take you to Bowling Green, KY home of the Corvette. The National Corvette Museum is there along with the assembly plant. The museum is open 7 days per week, the plant does tours but you would have to check as to when. And there is no need to own a corvette to enjoy the museum.

Here is some camp ground help:
Mammoth Cave National Park, KY Campground Reviews - Best of Mammoth Cave National Park Camping - RV Park Reviews

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #246

Alpine Owners Club
Ditto!! We went in December and still enjoyed the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
For Kentucky, think about Mammoth Cave area. It is a straight shot down I65.

The cave(s) are beautiful, something for the whole family.

And if you get enough of the caves, a short drive south on 65 will take you to Bowling Green, KY home of the Corvette. The National Corvette Museum is there along with the assembly plant. The museum is open 7 days per week, the plant does tours but you would have to check as to when. And there is no need to own a corvette to enjoy the museum.

Here is some camp ground help:
Mammoth Cave National Park, KY Campground Reviews - Best of Mammoth Cave National Park Camping - RV Park Reviews

g
Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
For Father's Day, I got one of those maps of the US with peel and stick stickers for each state you've camped in. After putting a few stickers on it, we realized we need to get out more!

Our criteria are that we all had to be there (me, wife, both daughters) and even a 1-night quick stop en route to a final destination would count.

Had to eliminate Alabama, Illinois, and Pennsylvania as not all 4 of us were on this earth yet (well, I guess technically we all were in PA, as we found out on that trip that we were pregnant with daughter #2!!). That just left us with IN, MI, OH, TN, GA, FL.

In addition, we (mostly me, but getting my wife on board) are starting to plan out a mega trip for next summer. Looking at a 2-week whirlwind out west (Badlands, Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone/Tetons). That'll check a few states off the list for sure! We'll see if we can actually make it happen, but heck we did Ft. Wilderness so we'll see how this goes. . .

Hope all's well.

Many things to do in St Louis. We enjoy traveling to Amish communities--Arcola Illinois is maybe 150 mile from you. Town has a small park right in town with 6 or 7 camp sites. All gravel with elec & water. Dump station one block to the west. Was $20 per night. Just put that in a drop box. No attendant.

One year we hired an Amish step on guide that took us around to different places in the community --buggy shop-community store--then to a Amish home for lunch. Great trip. Check with the Chamber there for info.

Russell
Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #248

We like Audubon State Park, at the south end of Evansville in Henderson, KY. It's a beautiful park with lots of hiking trails and a very interesting nature center where James Audubon worked. Audubon Park is less than ten minutes from Evansville and is also very close to the Illinois boarder. I have not looked yet but I'm sure there is an Illinois location near the Indiana/Illinois/Kentucky triangle where you could get booth KY and IL in one three day trip.

We would meet you there but we have the grandkids prepared for a weekend trip to Caboose Lake this weekend. It will be a good weekend for a water park.

Phil and Linda
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #249

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will definitely check some of them out. Very interested in Arcola, IL. Have always had a fascination with and admiration for the Amish. Several of our week long summer trips have been to Amish areas in PA, OH, and even northern IN. But, I didn't know there were any in IL.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #250

Kalona Iowa has an Amish population too about 380 mile from Indy.

Same thing there too--city park--put money in drop box. Go to visitors center pay $15 I think. Tourist bus takes you all over county. Cheese factory-store-chicken farm-other sites too

Russell
Old 06-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #251

Just got back from our 2nd annual trip to Nolin Lake in Ky. It's near mammoth cave, but a lot of county road driving to get back to it. It's really worth the trip and I swore I wouldn't mention our little treasure to anyone. Large recreational lake. No signal of any kind - wifi, tv, etc... some lakeside sites available if reserved well in advance. We left early Sunday morning and passed several Amish buggies on their way to church.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
Just got back from our 2nd annual trip to Nolin Lake in Ky. It's near mammoth cave, but a lot of county road driving to get back to it. It's really worth the trip and I swore I wouldn't mention our little treasure to anyone. Large recreational lake. No signal of any kind - wifi, tv, etc... some lakeside sites available if reserved well in advance. We left early Sunday morning and passed several Amish buggies on their way to church.
We love Nolin Lake but the last time there we were pulling the popup. Should take the Storm there sometime this fall.