RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #421

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler1959 View Post
I am far from a bourbon aficionado, but I have a few favorites. Bulliet is sourced from MGP, as are loads of others. For the money, knob creek is not bad. Try Blanton's and Breckenridge. You can usually get Blanton's on sale for around $50 at Meijers or one of the other large chains. Breckenridge is around $30 at a large chain store. Both are worth every penny.

The Huber products are very good as well, both the bourbon and the rye. Especially for under $30.

Your Knob Creek is releasing a cask strength 25 year anniversary special, MSRP 149.00.

Now, back to camping-We will be at Dunes SP from June 22nd to July 1. I'll have some decent scotch and decent bourbon, if you are in the area. Nothing better than a camp fire and a whiskey!
"Nothing better than a camp fire and a whiskey!" Agreed....!

We have friends that "love" Fireball" around the campfire. A little too sweet for me, although around a Fall campfire....it does warm the insides as well......

Boiler.........from this post - - - - - I believe you ARE a bourbon aficionado !!!

Thanks for the info.........if you are a scotch drinker, as I have been known to have a scotch or two.........I was a Chivas drinker for years.......never got into the single malts too much, although good.......not sure why? A friend gave me a bottle of Oban once - - again, very good at a premium price. But - - - my greatest scotch story was when we visited friends in Scotland. We went to a little town called Haddington, about 10 miles east of Edinburg. In email conversations prior to our trip I was asked what I wanted to see? Well..........is there a scotch distillery we could visit.........? When we got there, our friends took us to a scotch distillery, literally around the corner from their house. I learned there is a scotch distillery almost on every corner!!!! LOL These distilleries are not in your typical looking factories, they are housed in 1000 year old buildings..........so fitting!!! I don't remember the name of the scotch that was made where we were, chances are very good we'd never find it in stores here. Also found out at the distillery, Oban was a major scotch I believe from the Mid-Lands.

Happy camping all........would love to visit and have a sit down around the fire but we are heading back to Brookville on the 30th to get the pup away from the "Impact Area" our neighborhood turns into every 4th of July........

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #422

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Whoa.......sounds like I need to "pack" when camping with you guys.........LOL

Never really have had a problem when camping, but we are still relatively new still at 3 years..............

Our car was shot between Florida and Indeeanner coming home this year........does that count????? LOL I think I told you guys about that.........Only in 'Merica.........

g

Yes, to your car getting shot Crazy times. That time at Deam was the only time I was ever concerned.

Seriously we need to set a date to swap stories

Old 06-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #423

Quick funny story. Life is busy for us as it is for most so we've been doing last minute planning. As full as campgrounds are this time of year that doesn't​always work well.
Well, last week we decided to go camping for the weekend. Hopped on line and got the last available site in the A loop at Summit Lake (B loop is almost all small, uneven sites for tents or popups). Had a great weekend.

This weekend we're at home but come Friday we started looking ahead to next weekend. Wife says how about Turkey Run. I say sounds good but no way we'll get reservations one week in advance.
Well I hop online to check and was able to snag the LAST campsite in the entire place.

Talk about luck. . .

After Turkey Run, I think that'll be it for us until a week in Branson mid-July. We also have Prophetstown set up for Homecoming weekend this fall, but hoping for one or two weekends between July and then.

PS: Mackey the Cockapoo is a great little camper!!
purduepete97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #424

Pic of Mackey the camping puppy! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170512_195433972_HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	164684
purduepete97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #425

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Yes, to your car getting shot Crazy times. That time at Deam was the only time I was ever concerned.

Seriously we need to set a date to swap stories
Deam Lake was "ok" for us. We were at our families annual Campfest so we had almost an entire loop. The only problem we had was with the horse people, and it really wasn't a problem other than one of the family organizers coming out to meet the horses brought deep into our loop, ridden by a group ladies, asking them who was going to pick up the poop from their dozen or so horses? They got offended and left and sure as shi....... um, sure enough, the loop was riddled with some good luck charms left by the horses........LOL

Problem being the 4 dozen kids in our group playing, riding bikes, skate boarding, scooter riding, up and down the loop.....

I am glad to report - everyone survived!!

"Seriously we need to set a date to swap stories"

We are in Brownsburg........you guys anywhere close?

Made reservation for Prophetstown, last week, for 6-9 October - there were some FHU sites and I believe a lot of Savanah site available.......

We are up in Bremen mid August........

We are at the Swiss Wine Fest at the end of August....

We head to Anchor Down in September of 2018........

You guys campin' anywhere near these spots and dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Quick funny story. Life is busy for us as it is for most so we've been doing last minute planning. As full as campgrounds are this time of year that doesn't​always work well.
Well, last week we decided to go camping for the weekend. Hopped on line and got the last available site in the A loop at Summit Lake (B loop is almost all small, uneven sites for tents or popups). Had a great weekend.

This weekend we're at home but come Friday we started looking ahead to next weekend. Wife says how about Turkey Run. I say sounds good but no way we'll get reservations one week in advance.
Well I hop online to check and was able to snag the LAST campsite in the entire place.

Talk about luck. . .

After Turkey Run, I think that'll be it for us until a week in Branson mid-July. We also have Prophetstown set up for Homecoming weekend this fall, but hoping for one or two weekends between July and then.

PS: Mackey the Cockapoo is a great little camper!!
Sounds like you guys got it together.......

The campus must be quiet the weekend we are there in October.........

g
Old 06-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
This weekend we will be in Charlestown State Park. We have driven through in the toad, but never stayed. Just made reservations and it looks to be only 50% full. We will be out in the sun like Prophetstown. 50 amp. I think we will survive. Site 80.

If you have been, comments?
We were there about three years ago. Agree there is not much to do. I can't recall what month we went but it was brutally warm, there were only 3 campers in our loop and we were greeted by wild turkey. We did not have our Garmin at the time and Google nav took us down a very sparsely populated road in the dark for many miles. We noticed all the deer along the road stood and watched is as if we were quite dim for attempting the sunset trek pulling a camper. When we finally reached civilization, it was a dead end.

I took a nap the next day in the heat of the afternoon while my husband and lab ventured down a trail marked "moderate". When they finally got back, he informed me, as the dog collapsed on the pavement panting, that the trail was NOT moderate and was quite difficult. I took it to heart only when a woman emerged from the trailhead yelling for assistance in carrying out her Great Dane who had collapsed. Fortunately, there was a vet there and plenty of pedialyte on hand.

So I guess I'm saying to double check your navigation (we pulled in at 10pm) and only venture onto the easy trails in the heat of the day.

I just noticed this comment comes too late for you, but I will leave it for reference if anyone else is curious.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #427

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
We were there about three years ago. Agree there is not much to do. I can't recall what month we went but it was brutally warm, there were only 3 campers in our loop and we were greeted by wild turkey. We did not have our Garmin at the time and Google nav took us down a very sparsely populated road in the dark for many miles. We noticed all the deer along the road stood and watched is as if we were quite dim for attempting the sunset trek pulling a camper. When we finally reached civilization, it was a dead end.

I took a nap the next day in the heat of the afternoon while my husband and lab ventured down a trail marked "moderate". When they finally got back, he informed me, as the dog collapsed on the pavement panting, that the trail was NOT moderate and was quite difficult. I took it to heart only when a woman emerged from the trailhead yelling for assistance in carrying out her Great Dane who had collapsed. Fortunately, there was a vet there and plenty of pedialyte on hand.

So I guess I'm saying to double check your navigation (we pulled in at 10pm) and only venture onto the easy trails in the heat of the day.

I just noticed this comment comes too late for you, but I will leave it for reference if anyone else is curious.

We took 160 into Charlestown. Not bad in the twilight except for the tree branches the scraped us a few times. Came back by way of 62 and 265 to 65. Much easier drive, maybe 15 miles farther.

We didn't hardly leave our site except for walks with Hannah. Saturday afternoon Patty and I took a 2 hour nap outside with a fan each to keep us cool.

Site 76 has a very private firepit amoungst the trees. If we go again I think we would book that one. We did mark all sites that we would fit and like in a good better best color code. We try to do that at all campgrounds we stay at or visit. Site 80.... not quite level as stated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6912.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	164904
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6913.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	164903

Anyone been to Spring Mill?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #428

Quote:
Anyone been to Spring Mill?
We have, I liked it. The Pioneer village is neat, the Gus Grissom Museum is really cool. They have caves, don't be afraid to sneak over the rail at nigh, but take extra flashlights and tell people where you are going. But, seriously you wont be going real far into the cave, so don't panic. The steam your body creates will make it hard to see if you go with too many people.

The camp sights can be really tight, and you are down in a bowl at a lot of them, so campfires smoulder and can stink you out. Not much breeze so try and figure out where the high ground is.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #429

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Deam Lake was "ok" for us. We were at our families annual Campfest so we had almost an entire loop. The only problem we had was with the horse people, and it really wasn't a problem other than one of the family organizers coming out to meet the horses brought deep into our loop, ridden by a group ladies, asking them who was going to pick up the poop from their dozen or so horses? They got offended and left and sure as shi....... um, sure enough, the loop was riddled with some good luck charms left by the horses........LOL

Problem being the 4 dozen kids in our group playing, riding bikes, skate boarding, scooter riding, up and down the loop.....

I am glad to report - everyone survived!!

"Seriously we need to set a date to swap stories"

We are in Brownsburg........you guys anywhere close?

Made reservation for Prophetstown, last week, for 6-9 October - there were some FHU sites and I believe a lot of Savanah site available.......

We are up in Bremen mid August........

We are at the Swiss Wine Fest at the end of August....

We head to Anchor Down in September of 2018........

You guys campin' anywhere near these spots and dates?

g
We will look at October. I turn 60 on the 9th
Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #430

Alpine Owners Club
We will be in Versailles State Park this weekend. June 23rd-25th Site #1 in "A" loop. After booking I read that it is tight for 20 footers....we will see. I have done ten point turns before.

This makes four state parks this year. Guess we should have bought the annual pass. Oh well, the extra money will go to a good cause. When we compare Indiana State Park campgrounds to Illinois it is night and day.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #431

Alpine Owners Club
Backed up and hooked up at the house . Don't want to hook up tomorrow in the rain.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7017.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	166068
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #432
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tom & Patty: Be careful driving tomorrow. All that rain from Cindy is already in Versailles. But once Sat comes, I think you'll have nice weekend weather. Much cooler for campfires.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #433

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Tom & Patty: Be careful driving tomorrow. All that rain from Cindy is already in Versailles. But once Sat comes, I think you'll have nice weekend weather. Much cooler for campfires.

Lori-
Thanks Lori we will.

Camping with the windows open at night listening to the coyotes howl.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #434

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NLOVNIT - you headed to Indy in July?

g