Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Patoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
The weekend looks great down south. We are going to get out and go to Patoka Lake. We have never been there, no reservations, walk up only....haha drive up. Anyone want to go?
We will get in around 8 PM. From Indy it looks like 37 to 150 to 56 to 145 is the best way. 116 miles.
We've been there a couple times and it was great. Like most parks you need to enjoy nature. Your route sounds correct....there was some construction but I think it's cleared up. There are better sites so yeah look around. French Lick has a few entertainment options, Holiday World is an hour away although not open till 4/25 as I understand it. Its roomy so take bikes or scooters if you have't left yet.

I think cells work ok.

This weekend is already tied up for us but it sure would be fun!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I gotta picture text last night from friends of ours with their TT set up this weekend. I believe from looking at the pix they are at Prophets Town. They camp right up till the snow starts...............and obviously start early!

Looking forward to getting out there ourselves - soon..............

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #59

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

Made it to Patoka at 10:30 last night. Negotiated the dark roads without incident. Then woke up this morning and moved to this siteClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426955663.972649.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	89147
Lots of sites here but many are too steep to get a long wheelbase level. We will mark the best sites.
It is a nice day!

37 two lane is torn up. The first guard rail in the middle of the road almost caught me. Yikes!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #60

Tom and Patty...

Sure wish we could have joined in. We would absolutely partake if you go out again. We try to get out every weekend if we can. Finally got Toad Haul prepped and ready to go yesterday. Taxes today! 😥

We're driving over to Carlyle Lake this coming weekend, then Lieber over Easter. Already have "scheduled" trips to Indiana a Dunes, Salomonie and the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Every other weekend is open to wherever we want to go. Let us know if you do this again....

Can you give us all an update on your trip? Site, campground, etc? Curious minds...
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #61

Has anyone here tried Shakamak, south of Terre Haute? Our camping buddies went last fall and loved it. Would like to try that one this summer.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #62

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

We took pictures and marked sites on the campground map.....good, better and best. I will post in the campground section.
Here is a sure sign spring is here. Found it near a campsite. Hannah had to stop and smell it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427057863.348197.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	89278Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427057879.443739.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	89279
Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #63

Alpine Owners Club
Going back home I checked out the guard rail that gave me a start. Where 37 South turns into a two lane road the first guard rail hangs over the line on the left side. No reflecters on it either. So if you are headed south beware.

We drove or walked all 455 sites plus the 45 primative sites. We marked these sites according to our taste...more room better, view or lots of room best. I don't lift our tires off the ground, and we felt we could get level in all of the marked sites. We don't guarantee it however. This map might be worth what you pay for it

Here is the map Patty made. Use at your own risk. We will try to answer any questions. Of course, please utilize reservations for site descriptions also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Patoka Lake Campsite Map.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	89312  
Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
Has anyone here tried Shakamak, south of Terre Haute? Our camping buddies went last fall and loved it. Would like to try that one this summer.

Did Shakamak back in 1980 or so with my Mom, Dad and Family. been a few years since i heard that name. Maybe one of these days I can get my daughters and wife back to Indiana to enjoy some of those childhood spots. I can say that back in the day the 3 story diving platform was the high light of a 12 years olds life. took me about 15 or 20 tries before I finally got the intestinal fortitude to jump off.

hopefully I can get back there before my daughter's are too old to enjoy it.

cheers from Japan

ken
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey excellent work you two! Jenny and I have been there before but only on one leg (site 285) of the campsites. It looks like you found some other spaces that are even better, thanks!

Agree that maybe we all cross paths some way when we are out. Sounds like many are like us, just exploring our surrounding area on occasion.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #66

Thanks for the map! We do the exact same thing; highlighting and color-coding the sites! DW and I are both pretty OCD. Our organization in our MH gives everyone a good laugh.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #67

Alpine Owners Club
You are Welcome!

Darren, is that Carlyle Illinois?

We also have maps of Hardin Ridge, Indiana Dunes, McCormick's Creek -not many in there for us, Ouabache, Charlestown, and Paynetown. Again marked for us.

I am not as organized at Patty would want me to be.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #68

Yes, Carlyle, IL. We're just running over for one night. Trying to get some miles on it to get it nearer to 1,500 and get a front end alignment. Plus, Donna wants to get some miles under her belt before any big road trips.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #69

Know Ouabache VERY well. Grew up two miles from that CG.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #70

Tom, have you been to Lieber? Great park with good fishing, nice sites. We have that one "mapped out". If anyone is ever interested....