Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #743

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

Lori,

Not yet. We are to the point now that the first question we ask for is the CCC....cargo carrying capacity. Some 2 axle coaches are down under 2000 lbs.
Really torn between staying 40’ and under or going above with a tag. Not sure how many campgrounds a 42-45’ would eliminate and we would regret the length.
Narrowing down to Country Coach, Newmar, Foretravel(although their floorplans are our least favorite) and a 2004 or older Newell. Plan now not to buy newer than an ‘07 of any brand unless it has a pre-emissions motor.
We need to get our coach back from Cummins, advertise and sell it. But Patty is really worried we won’t find something to replace it and we will be MHless!!
2017 Dutch Star is more than we want to spend[emoji6]. But, I am sure you would like it. They are nice units.
Glenn went to a gas, and he is happy with his. That is another option I mentioned to Patty last night. Hopefully retirement RV’ing will be different than today’s. No more 7-800mile days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Tom - you found that next coach yet? My local dealer is trying to get me into a 2017 DS they just took in on trade. They lowered the price (which I was originally told was non-negotiable)to me $15k in less than a week & the GM is telling me there' still a few more $k wiggle room for them. I haven't been to see it yet.

Lori-
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:23 AM   #744

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom......Look at Newmar Ventana.

At some point - all Newmar DPs 40' and above have a tag - not sure what year. Not too many 40'ers have a tag.

To me - a Ventana is a Canyon Star with a diesel engine. Lots of them out there, so you might be able to get a good price.

Happy hunting.....

g
Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #745
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm looking at those too, Glenn. If I ever get out to see the DS, the same dealer has a 2017 4310 Ventana as well. Funny thing is, they've got it priced at nearly $40k more than the offer they made me for 2016 DS 4366 they're after me to buy. Even though the DS is a year (maybe 2 - there's a discrepancy on that) older, I'dve thought the DS would've commanded the price chasm not be that far apart.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #746

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If I ever get out to see the DS, the same dealer has a 2017 4310 Ventana as well. Funny thing is, they've got it priced at nearly $40k more than the offer they made me for 2016 DS 4366 they're after me to buy. Even though the DS is a year (maybe 2 - there's a discrepancy on that) older, I'dve thought the DS would've commanded the price chasm not be that far apart.

L-
One thing about Newmar is if you build it new - - you can get many upgrades and customs features built in. Perhaps the DS is a basic model and the Ventana is "Tricked-Out".

I would google a couple things if looking at a used Newmar (.....and I did!).

I would look for a "Dealer Order Sheet" for any model Newmar you are looking at. This is the wish sheet used when ordering a new coach.

Look for a models "Brochure" for the year of the coach you are looking at. This will show you the new features of that model year and "some" of the upgrades available. The order sheet will give all the options available and the cost...

Lastly - every Newmar model has a "Unit Number". It will be on a sticker inside a kitchen cabinet. Write the number down and call Newmar Customer Service. Ask Newmar if they have any history on the specific coach, such as service performed at the factory, any warranty work performed and finally ask for the "Build Sheet". This will be emailed to you and have everything that is built into the coach.

It was mentioned I like my gas model. I do! We were initially looking at 5 to 7 year old DSs. Beautiful machines...... What stopped me (us) is economics and how we actually use the motor home.

We are weekend campers and snowbirds. My old DSDP was old and uncared for.....it was our first RV and was definitely a learning experience.

There were too many moving parts for me in a DP, which down the road will need replacing or repair. For example - - my unit will be going for an old change later today - - 7 quarts gasser versus 26 quarts DP. Compare fuel prices.

I give up a better ride, the ability to tow more than 5K pounds and some lux items in and outside the rig itself. I had no problem with storage when I went from my DP to the gasser - but I did "dump" a lot of the stuff from the basement I never used and actually have free space today in my basement. Oh and the ability to speed up a hill - - so I stay with the trucks and other DP motor homes that do not have the BIG engines of high line diesels. But I can tell you - there are a lot of misnomers about new gassers versus old gassers that give gas models an undeserved bad rap.

It works for us - we have a comfortable motor home that is not any fancier than our S&B and gets us where we want to go. Oh - and I can easily afford it on our soldier's and fed workers pensions.......most important!!!! LOL

Now if we were full-timers or traveled for work - - there would be either a Ventana or Dutch Star in the driveway......

Good luck to you both - ain't it fun shopping and looking???? If you have any questions as to owning a lowly gasser - - fire away, I'll do the best I can to answer.

Well.......heading to Newmar this AM to pick up the rig from from service work and upgrades and then going to the chassis dealer for the lube and oil needs.....after all - - it is getting cold outside and we know what that means......hahahahaha....

Talk atcha later..

g
Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #747
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
As always, thanks Glenn! Yeah, I could get exactly what I want if I buy new, but we've done that with the past 3 RV's & I don't like taking that big depreciation hit & spending a lot of what could be out/enjoying time being at a dealer or factory working out the 1st year bugs. Especially when it seems appointments at the dealer turn in to weeks if not a month or 2 because they're waiting on parts. Not that there aren't issues with used RV's (there are plenty), just that I'm banking on a lot of the new RV QC issues that the factory let get out the door were (hopefully) taken care of by the previous owner.

I got the DS VIN number & plugged that into COM_NET & found a lot about it (like 2 dozen recalls). If/when I go to see it, I'll get the unit/production number off it & give Newmar a call to get the skinny on it....like why it's listed as a 2015 on COM_NET (production 2/2015) but the dealer says the title is 2016.

We're coming close to where we'll have the time to travel more. We just can't manage more than 3-4 hrs at any given time in our Bounder. Even with suspension upgrades & maintaining tire pressures/proper alignment, it beats us to death. There's been times I was surprised our cabinets didn't come off the walls some trips. Of course, the deplorable conditions of our nation's interstates does nothing to help there at all.

I do enjoy the shopping & seeing all the different coaches out there. Technology has sure come a long way since our 06 - although that certainly makes them WAY more complicated.

L-
Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #748

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

Well the coach is back home in the heated storage after three weeks at Cummins. They mis-diagnosed the fuel leak as the CAPS fuel pump and had it out twice till they found the culprit....gear fuel pump. Crosspoint was completely honest and told us what happened. They could have easily told me it was two leaks and charged us. Instead, they covered the new pump 100% and took care of some labor. They definitely have my business because of their integrity.
Back in garage with no drips and with the new exhaust manifold a few extra pounds of boost. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	226328
The search goes on for a coach, but I don’t want to be in a hurry unless the Alpine sells. For now we keep looking at floor plans and the 06 Jubilee has the best to our liking but is 45’
Might go look at it after Thanksgiving if it is still available, if only to get it out of our system.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...distance%3aasc
Old 11-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #749

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Well the coach is back home in the heated storage after three weeks at Cummins. They mis-diagnosed the fuel leak as the CAPS fuel pump and had it out twice till they found the culprit....gear fuel pump. Crosspoint was completely honest and told us what happened. They could have easily told me it was two leaks and charged us. Instead, they covered the new pump 100% and took care of some labor. They definitely have my business because of their integrity.
Back in garage with no drips and with the new exhaust manifold a few extra pounds of boost. Attachment 226328
The search goes on for a coach, but I don’t want to be in a hurry unless the Alpine sells. For now we keep looking at floor plans and the 06 Jubilee has the best to our liking but is 45’
Might go look at it after Thanksgiving if it is still available, if only to get it out of our system.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...distance%3aasc
Glad to see you got your rig back! Did you take it to the Cummins service center right off I 70? If so, we have been there also, and they treated us great. We are very happy with the work they did. Our issues was a rear main seal oil leak. We got a couple quotes and the Cummins guys was the best price. Also, since you are coach shopping, check out the Monaco. We love ours, they make great rigs!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #750

Alpine Owners Club
We did. Very pleased and they kept the coach clean even after carrying an 80 plus pound pump out twice[emoji12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
Glad to see you got your rig back! Did you take it to the Cummins service center right off I 70? If so, we have been there also, and they treated us great. We are very happy with the work they did. Our issues was a rear main seal oil leak. We got a couple quotes and the Cummins guys was the best price. Also, since you are coach shopping, check out the Monaco. We love ours, they make great rigs!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #751
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Sounds like you got honest, great service. That's rare in this day & age.

That's a really nice looking CC. I keep an eye out on premiumcoachgroup.com. They get in some wonderful luxury coaches. They've got an 05 Monaco coming in - check it out when they get more photos, as cooldude suggests. I'm waiting on the '08 Eagle pictures to show.

Isn't shopping fun?

Lori-
Old 11-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #752

Alpine Owners Club
That '08 is good looking! I will watch for the Signatures pics to show up too.

The shopping is fun, but we are looking almost every night. We have been spoiled by the big windows in the Alpine and the dinette on the passenger side. Both getting harder to find.

What I really want is a floor plan we like, to show up close to home.

Quote:
Sounds like you got honest, great service. That's rare in this day & age.

That's a really nice looking CC. I keep an eye out on premiumcoachgroup.com. They get in some wonderful luxury coaches. They've got an 05 Monaco coming in - check it out when they get more photos, as cooldude suggests. I'm waiting on the '08 Eagle pictures to show.

Isn't shopping fun?

Lori-
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #753

Alpine Owners Club
Lori,

Here is one..

https://www.maplegroverv.com/sales/p...an-eagle-45-h/
Old 11-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #754

Alpine Owners Club
Glenn,

If I read this right, if you were to travel more, you might have gone for a DP?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
It was mentioned I like my gas model. I do! We were initially looking at 5 to 7 year old DSs. Beautiful machines...... What stopped me (us) is economics and how we actually use the motor home.

We are weekend campers and snowbirds. My old DSDP was old and uncared for.....it was our first RV and was definitely a learning experience.

I give up a better ride, the ability to tow more than 5K pounds and some lux items in and outside the rig itself. I had no problem with storage when I went from my DP to the gasser - but I did "dump" a lot of the stuff from the basement I never used and actually have free space today in my basement. Oh and the ability to speed up a hill - - so I stay with the trucks and other DP motor homes that do not have the BIG engines of high line diesels. But I can tell you - there are a lot of misnomers about new gassers versus old gassers that give gas models an undeserved bad rap.

Now if we were full-timers or traveled for work - - there would be either a Ventana or Dutch Star in the driveway......

Good luck to you both - ain't it fun shopping and looking???? If you have any questions as to owning a lowly gasser - - fire away, I'll do the best I can to answer.

Well.......heading to Newmar this AM to pick up the rig from from service work and upgrades and then going to the chassis dealer for the lube and oil needs.....after all - - it is getting cold outside and we know what that means......hahahahaha....

Talk atcha later..

g
Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #755

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Glenn,

If I read this right, if you were to travel more, you might have gone for a DP?

Happy Thanksgiving.
Yes......

g
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #756
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks, Tom. I've put feelers out to my dealer on what we'd be looking for. They've been good to us so I'll let them have 1st shot at finding something for me. There's also a new Discovery floorplan I like. I wanted a Disco when we bought the Bounder but didn't want to pay the the extra $$ for a DP, plus we didn't need a DP back then. The Disco is the only new coach I like right now - well, enough to put up with the fix-what-the-factory-didn't-build-right period & accept the depreciation factor.

L-