Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The I 65 KY bridge southbound is closed for 6 months, detours are marked.
When we go to FT. Myers Beach for the winter we take 4 days for the trip from INDY. Stop #1 is just South of the AL/TN line, stop #2 is Camping World overnight lot w/ elect. at Dothan, AL, stop #3 is on I 75 just South of I 10, stop #4 is Ft. Myers Beach RV resort.
Is that the Ohio River Bridge?

I use to, waaaay back in the day, have troops stationed in Louisville and put up with the I65 construction around and north of Jeffersonville when I traveled down that way....

We will be going to LaBelle in Mid-December........hopefully it will be "fixed" by then!! LOL

My first stop will be Nashville KOA, short hop - allowing time for last minute things - then it's off to Ft. Rucker area and the Ozark KOA. I hope to get down there a little early and run over to the fort as we don't get to visit a "real" military base here in the Indy area.......then the loong hop LaBelle - looks like about 9 hours but what's the rush - we are there for some time.next year I may rethink this.

Perhaps we could hook up for a cup of joe or lunch while down there - this is our
first year of "Snowbirding"......

g
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #212

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE-dad View Post
Looks like we had the same spot!
Site 55. What a great resort. We want to go back and get 28 or 29.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #213

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Sadixon,
Welcome to the IN thread. Sorry to hear about your MIL.
What MH did you get?

We are down in Ft Wilderness now. Easy drive from Valdosta, except for the heavy rain again today.
Took the I91 toll road and sailed right in without any delays or slowdowns. Worth every penny!
Able to check in 2 hrs early, in loop 1400. Nice sites, plenty of room to navigate.
Spent the afternoon at Downtown Disney, tomorrow starts 5 days at the parks!!

Hope all's well.
Brian
Last time I was on I91 toll road, we had to do 90mph not to get run over. We weren't in the MH.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #214

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I liked the 75 route - pretty scenery, fewest miles. If I still had the RAM 1500, I'd probably feel differently, but no regrets. Atlanta is mostly about timing, but is manageable. We took the East bypass going down, but went straight through on 75 coming back.
With that said, if we did it again, I might do a different route just to see and stop in different areas.
As for Ft Wilderness, we were in site 1461, in a premium, non pet loop. Site was plenty big enough, and overall in a nice spot. I'd definitely recommend a premium site - not that much more $$ and much nicer sites based on what we saw when we drove through the campground on our last evening there.
We did not take or rent a golf cart. Took our bikes but only used them for recreation and to get to the pool. Thus, we relied on the Ft W bus system to get us from campsite to marina (for Magic Kingdom) or bus depot for all other destinations. Reason I mention is that I thought the bus service in the campground could have been better. Seems like we wasted some time waiting, which isn't much fun. Would probably look at a golf cart next time.
For things to do in Ft W, we honestly didn't do much due to time, but there is a ton to do. We swam a lot and the pools are typical Disney standards, extremely nice and well maintained.
We also did the Hoop De Doo review dinner theater show and it was very nice. If we had time, the marina had a variety of boats for rent, and there was also horseback riding.
FYI, check in is officially 1 pm, but apparently you are almost always able to come in after 11 am and go straight to your site.

Hope that is helpful. If you have other questions, let me know.
Brian,

We are looking at DW for October this year. I see you stayed in the 1400 area, what about sites closer to the lake for the boat shuttle? Grand children will stay in Disney Hotel with mom and dad.

Thanking you
Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #215

There are some loops closer to the boat launch. I don't recall the numbers, but look for ones close to the Settlement.
Now also keep in mind that if the water is choppy, they will revert to bus transport for Magic Kingdom (like they do for all of the other parks). Bus depot is at the Outpost, the opposite end of the campground. So, getting closer to Settlement means you are further from Outpost.
Also, any loops close to Outpost or Settlement will be further from the pools, and subject to more noise from boat whistles, bus engines, etc.
So many choices. . .
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #216

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Site 55. What a great resort. We want to go back and get 28 or 29.
This looks like a great camp ground if heading to the Smokey's, a place we would go to and site 55 looks perfect......

Tell me about sites 28 & 29.......looking at the CG map - they aren't on the lake.

g
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #217

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

28 and 29 sit up on a hill with an unobstructed view of the campground and lake. Sites are very long (150'?), as such they are way off the interior road. Both have fireplaces at the end of the site. Lastly, they are somewhat isolated so you get the feel you are on your own instead of a big park. MHO.😉
Glenn if you go to their website: http://www.anchordownrvresort.com they have usually 3-4 pictures taken of every site.
Sites on the lake are very nice too. There is even one you can pull into so your view is out the front window. Just a bit more traffic down there. Sometimes I don't like traffic👍

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #218

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
28 and 29 sit up on a hill with an unobstructed view of the campground and lake. Sites are very long (150'?), as such they are way off the interior road. Both have fireplaces at the end of the site. Lastly, they are somewhat isolated so you get the feel you are on your own instead of a big park. MHO.😉
Glenn if you go to their website: New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US they have usually 3-4 pictures taken of every site.
Sites on the lake are very nice too. There is even one you can pull into so your view is out the front window. Just a bit more traffic down there. Sometimes I don't like traffic👍

Ahh - thanks - I figured you had a good reason.........thanks, this is one camp ground we would like to stay at when heading that way for a few days........not on the calendar yet tho.......

g
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #219

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Members

You are welcome Glenn and thank you Brian for the info on FW.

We are itching to get out. Parked the coach right after Thanksgiving and haven't moved it since. We have been very busy with a house we bought to rent. It is finally done!
Hope to get out next week to Patoka or Cornerstone if we have our grandson with us (the big playground). For any of you with children, Cornerstone is very nice and family oriented. Weather looks nice!
Safe travels everyone.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #220

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

We are itching to get out.
Us too - we had friends call this past week to run up to Prophets Towm this weekend but I had camera duty at church and the coach is at
Newmar for some repairs and upgrades. I pick it up this Wednesday. We are at Prophets Town Memorial Day and Brookville Lake over the 4th. I need to try Cornerstone someday.....

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #221

We're heading to Summit Lake SP next weekend. Fun campground, thinking of taking our canoe. The lake has no speed boats, so very nice for leisurely canoe trip. Gotta check to see what registration is required for them. . .I think nothing if you don't motorize it.
Has anyone gone down to Metamora? Looking at that later this spring. Have camped a lot at Whitewater, but have never gone down the road to Metamora.
Brian
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 AM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Has anyone gone down to Metamora? Looking at that later this spring. Have camped a lot at Whitewater......
Yes...........

It is a neat little town.....with a canal......We went on a weekday during off-season in October and if I remember a lot of the stores were closed till the weekend.......

Think Nashville, Indiana........very similar.

We were staying at Brookville Lake (one of my favs) when we went over to Metamora.......

Not familiar with Whitewater..........

g
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #223

Thanks for the info. Whitewater SP is just a few miles north of Brookville, just outside of Liberty. Nice, large park with some decent sites and some that are small/unlevel. Couple of boat ramps, swimming Beach, etc. Wife grew up camping there - has been there hundreds of times.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #224

By the way, non-motorized canoe reg for IN is $5 per year.