Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #15

I can do roof top in Chicago
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Loudon is $100 for the entire week, but that's in the camping area not the infield. Not even sure they do infield there. Tickets are extra but at $100 for the entire week it's pretty hard to beat. See you there !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #17

www.nascarcamping.com

Look at the forum.

I also post there. Lots of track specific information.

stewartfan
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #18

The Indy500 is another consideration for "must see to believe" racing events to attend (both the race AND the camping experience). Though there is no infield (per se) the camping surrounding the track leads to impressive fun/memories and winds up far less expensive than NASCAR infield. Here's the official Indy raceway "party planner"

Party Scene - Indianapolis 500 - Indianapolis Motor Speedway

And for camping info here's the Indy link. Note (from the party pages) each CG location is assigned a "personality" or suggested audience. Lot 4A is the primo lot with superb walking access to everything ($250 for the entire event including your toad) and I've done it a couple times for some of the most fantastic memories.

Indy 500 Camping - Indianapolis 500 - Indianapolis Motor Speedway
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #19

We've done Atlanta twice and it was great. Along the backstretch between turns two and three they have whats called trackside terrace. It overlooks the track so you can stand at the front of your motorhome and see the track. They are full hookup sites. It costs $3500 for the entire weekend including 10tickets. It looks like they may have changed it. It used to include 10pit passes as well but doesn't list that now. I was a really good time.

Jon
jbilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #20

Darlington do not take any children you will not sleep you are so tight between campers when you open your door it hits the person camper beside you
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #21

We have been to and camped Bristol, Richmond, Charlotte, Dover and Pocono.

We never camp in the infield because either the tracks are too small to have infield camping (Dover, Richmond and Bristol) and most do not allow you to leave until hours after the race is finished.

Here are my favorite in order:

Richmond, we have been going since 2001 and now after being on the waiting list for seven years have a camp spot in the specialty parking lot F. $175 for the weekend. Our seats are at the exit of pit road going into turn 1. There is camping all around the track at various lots.

Bristol, going since 2004 and camp at Earhart's Campground. $150 for the weekend with no hookups. Water is available all over and they have a nice shower house. Our seats are high up in turn two.

Dover, going since 2000 and staying at the Dover Mall (next to the track). We normally stay on the "new" grass area but have been on the pavement as well, its your choice. $150 for the weekend with no hookups. Seats are between turns three and four. Sit in turns one and two to get a good sunburn !!

Charlotte, been there once in 2010 and stayed outside of turn three. I think it was $150 for the week, no hookups (we were there Tuesday to Sunday). There is a shower house and water available. Our seats were on the front stretch. Not a bad view, just stay above row 20.

Pocono, been there on and off since 2004. Stayed outside turn three and I believe that is also $150 for the weekend, no hookups, no water, no view, no nothing. We really only go up there to "hang out" for the weekend. It is really not the best track to watch a race as a spectator. No way to see the whole track from anywhere.

If you have any specific questions about the above let me know. I can answer in more detail .
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I'll bet there are some on this forum that have camped in the infield at a NASCAR race. Sounds like it would be more fun than Dianeyland.
Larry, When I was working at Texas Motor Speedway the infield was like a hazmat zone especially when there wasn't any wind. The CO2 content of the available breathing air was terrible.

Now I don't want to sound like a wuss but there were indeed hundreds of folks camping there and having a great time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I worked on the fire crew at Rockingham from 1996 to 2004 when NASCAR drooped the track from the schedule. 5 of those years we were allowed to camp in the infield which made it much better for those of us who were working at the track. I worked a few times in the pits. They would station 1 fireman for each pit with a fire extinguisher. The last several years I worked at the gas pumps in the garage area. We got to see everybody there. It was a dream job for a race fan who is also a volunteer firefighter. I just hate that they took it off of the schedule. I am making plans to go to the truck race on April 15. It is not the same sitting in the stands when you have worked down where all the action is. I attended the first cup race at Rockingham in 1965 and had the pleasure of working the last cup race there in 2004.

Bill
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #24

^^ He is correct ^^

One year during the sumer race at Bristol we opted to get hookups (elec & water) since it was supposed to be so hot that our generator would have to run day and night. It was worth it. Some friends that were in another area had there along with many others carbon monoxide detectors going off since the air was so still at night.

Just watch where generator exhaust is pointed when camping at the above events.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #25

I did Michigan International infield the day of the race. NO seats included, parking was first come first served. NO overnight parking. Cost was $50 per person.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #26

I have been going to Atlanta race the last 4 years, was doing both till they lost one race to Ks. WE never camp infield, but in family reserve site that has FHU, well water and power and the honey wagon will pump you out for free. We have this year ticket bought and just waiting on time. NEVER HAD A BAD DAY AT THE RACE.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We did Watkins Glen and the infield RV parking takes up about 80% of the inside of the 2.5 mile road race. One guy had a 52 inch TV set up under a tent. AAA pit crew had family members a couple of spots down from us and the pit crew showed up for a good meal on 2 different nights.
As been said on some of the other posts, it was the best, and it should be on everyone's bucket list.
Cost for the 5 of us was around $1,000.00, but that included seats right behind the pits and all 3 races.
Track is so big you are better off watching it on TV. Better coverage than the big screen track had across from us.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis
I have been going to Atlanta race the last 4 years, was doing both till they lost one race to Ks. WE never camp infield, but in family reserve site that has FHU, well water and power and the honey wagon will pump you out for free. We have this year ticket bought and just waiting on time. NEVER HAD A BAD DAY AT THE RACE.
Could you give me an idea of the cost at Atlanta? Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote