Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Inflatable boats

I need a small portable boat to carry in the MH that would carry 2 people that I could put a trolling motor on. Have been giving a little thought to an inflatable boat of some kind. Has anyone ever used anything like that? Thanks.

GAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had a Sevylor Fish Hunter 12 footer for about 15 years. It has a motormount that let's me put a trolling motor on the back. It has 5 different air chambers. Much less expensive than the Zodiac boats.

Don't use it much anymore but the boys and I used it to float down the Delaware, ferry camping supplies to a site on the other side of a resevoir, and fish. In the summer, the vinyl will get VERY hot when it is sunny out.

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Solo Rvers Club
Boy oh boy, this is a tough one, because it depends on how you intend to use it, type of water, storage issues, and probably some other factors unique to your situation. I carry a 10' inflatable pontoon boat (oar powered) on top of my toad, and an 11 foot Zodiak rolled up inside the toad (cross-wise behind the front seats, back seats folded down) with a 6 hp Johnson set cross-wise right behind it, plus gas tank, pump, tools, life vest, etc. Some folks like the Fol-Boats, but I think they are borderline dangerous, unless you are in quiet water. IMHO, of all the issues, I think storage or "haulability" is important. I'm sure others will respond, hope this might help
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Originally Posted by GAVERY View Post
I need a small portable boat to carry in the MH that would carry 2 people that I could put a trolling motor on. Have been giving a little thought to an inflatable boat of some kind. Has anyone ever used anything like that? Thanks.
Take a look here. Great folks to deal with.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
We bought a Sea Eagle SE-11 and love it. Most of it packs into a duffel bag. I haven't added a electric motor yet but plan to that this year.

Inflatable Boats, Inflatable Kayaks and Inflatable Boat Accessories from SeaEagle.com

I know a several RV'ers who carry Sea Eagle boats/kayaks. They are well built and the company stands behind their products.
Dan & Jan - Retired and Loving it...Class of 2007
2008 Diplomat (SFT) pushed by 2007 Jeep Wrangler
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
I got a Seaeagle Kayak 2 seater that comes in a bag that fits neatly in one of my compartments under my 32 footer class A. Paddles, seats and all. I've used it on Fresh and salt water. It is not all that much fun on a windy day and does not hold as true a line as a hard shell kayak would but the fins on the bottom are somewhat effective. Sea eagle makes a very good product. If you know you are going to need a motor do not get a kayak. Had I known that the DW would have been of so little help in paddling the thing I would have gone in that direction right off the bat. JMO
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
I also recommend that you call Tim or Crystal at Inflatable Boats 4 Less If they don't have what you want they should be able to direct you to a product that might be more appropriate for your use.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Porta-Bote.com - not inflatable, but foldable, and may be an option.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with Wayne the Marine. Port a bote is the very best portable boat in the world. I have one that is fifteen years old and it does not leak. It folds up to about four inches thick and it will take a six horse motor. The inflatables are really nice and very handy but really watch out for ''sharp objects'' like oyster shells and barnacles. Wayne has a brand new Port a boat that has never been wet and a motor to go with it and he wants to sell it. contact him if interested. I can personally vouch for portabote but I still aint too sure about Wayne.. (just teasin my brother ).............
seajay the sailor man
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Porta-Bote.com - not inflatable, but foldable, and may be an option.
how much for your port-a-boat w/o motor and what length is it????
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I also vote for "Inflatable Boats 4 Less" ... they stand behind every product the y sell and they have never misrepresented themselves. I don't think you will find any better customer service either.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Check your closest craigslist and search for inflatable, Zodiac and the like in the boats section. A couple of years ago we bought a 14' Zodiac MK II with a 30 HP Evinrude for $1550. NADA value is almost $3000 with no outboard. There are inflatables listed a lot.

With our last MH it went on one of those metal racks that plugs into the receiver. In the new one it all fits in the basement storage.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks I have had a 2 person (Lagoon 2) model for 3 years now. Couldn't be happier....It folds up into a duffel bag about 30" x 22" x 6". With a nice set of 2 piece alum. paddles for $400 from Austin Canoe & Kayak. Pix #1 Pix #2 Pix #3
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
As has been previously said, It depends on how and where you intend to use it. We're on our third Sea Eagle and love them. We have the 14' run about and store it in the basement. Since we fish Alaska, we see 3-4' waves and wind. We fish silver salmon with mounted downriggers after a 10-15 mile run to Prince William Sound from Valdez. Fully loaded we can get 10-12kts in smooth water with 2 people. Sea Eagle is a tough boat that handles very well in poor conditions.

Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote