Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Instrument gauges

I have a 2005 Winnebago gas motorhome with a FordV10 on a workhorse chassis.My gas gauge goes to the amount of gas in the tank and immediately jumps way past the full mark, when I turn on the ignition key.My nearest RV dealer won't touch it. Where do you take this for repair. I have been told to try a truck repair facility.Any thoughts would be helpful

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Now please don't be upset, this is just my opinion here. On Our rig, where ever the gauge is with the key off is a rough idea what we have in the tank. We turn the key on, it might move a little and then it will go to max and then to empty and then back to what ever we have in the tank. This something we have noticed in quite a few different rigs before we settled on the one we have now. Now, if yours is going to the maxed full mark and staying there when the key is on or in the running mode, my guess is there might be a ground problem at the sending unit at the tank. With the key on/in running mode and the gauge goes to empty and you know for a fact you have lots of fuel, you have a bad sending unit. Never rule out someone steeling fuel from you! I hope i was of some help to you! Good Luck.

04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #3

So you are saying the gage reads way past full whenever the ignition is on, regardless of amount of fuel in the tank?

The fuel gage is just a calibrated ohm meter, it measures resistance, which is provided by the sender in your tank. The sender provides a range of resistance. It sounds as if your gage is working, but you either have bad connection in the wire from gage to sender or bad sender. The gage is not receiving the correct resistance.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

The gauge is on empty with the key off.when turned on it jumps to full (which is correct because I filled it up) pauses a split second, and jumps way past full. The only reference I have is on the odometer which is set to (miles to empty)Again, is a truck repair facility the place to take it?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add 2 or3 cans of SEAFOAM to your full tank of fuel. My guess is that you have excess moisture in your tank, common with gasahol.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjajags View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebago gas motorhome with a FordV10 on a workhorse chassis.My gas gauge goes to the amount of gas in the tank and immediately jumps way past the full mark, when I turn on the ignition key.My nearest RV dealer won't touch it. Where do you take this for repair. I have been told to try a truck repair facility.Any thoughts would be helpful
We need a little clarification of which chassis you really have. The Ford V10 is only used on the Ford RV chassis, and the GM 8.1 liter V8 was the only engine used on the Workhorse chassis in 2005.

That being said, the gas gauge on our Workhorse chassis has done what you describe once or twice, but it returned to normal within a minute or two. Repeatedly shutting off and turning the ignition stitch back on helped clear up the problem for me. The problem may be an electronic glitch. It could also be a stuck float or a bad sending unit in the fuel tank; but if that were the case, I would think the tank would just read full and not shoot way past full.

Most RV dealers are not equipped to service motorhome chassis problems past simple things like oil changes. You need to take your motorhome to a place that specializes in engine and chassis work. If your chassis is a Ford, many Ford dealers service motorhomes. If it is a Workhorse, the number of Workhorse service centers is dwindling due to the fact the motorhome chassis are no longer being made. Workhorse service centers can be found HERE, although the list may be out of date.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the excellent reply. I was wrong about the engine, it is a 8.1 liter. When you say the gauge returned to normal after a few minutes, was this with the switch on and engine running orswitch on and engine off?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjajags View Post
Thanks for the excellent reply. I was wrong about the engine, it is a 8.1 liter. When you say the gauge returned to normal after a few minutes, was this with the switch on and engine running orswitch on and engine off?
One time it returned to normal on its own after a few minutes of driving. The other time when it didn't return to normal after driving a fairly long time (I can't remember how long - at least 15 to 30 minutes), I pulled over and turned the ignition switch off and on several times before it finally returned to normal.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges