Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #85

That is the way it has been for a long time it is the same way with your car if your name is not on title the do not have to insure you and that is with all insurance company I know that from personal experience
vschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
We have received all types of information and advice on what your insurance will and won't do for an unnamed driver in case of a claim whether approved or not. What I have taken away from all these postings is call your insurance company, not broker or agent and read your policy.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Have you considered what would happen if you and wife became un-able to continue a drive to your destination and a friend had to drive the coach for you, and got into an accident? What about a mechanic that is test-driving the coach? Choose your policies carefully.

FWIW, State Farm says, "In addition to the Principal Driver and Assigned Drivers, your premium my be influenced by the drivers shown below and ....other individuals permitted to drive your vehicle."
__________________________________________________ _________
This would refer to a driver, who is a proposed driver, and is found to have a less than acceptable driving record. If that person remains as a driver and you know he has had a DUI or several speeding tickets within a certain amount of time, or any accidents on his/her record, and you still let that person drive your RV, you will be charged so much in premiums that you will drop that carrier and they will be off the hook. If you let someone drive any of your vehicles, who has a history of infractions, you ask for it. That is being foolish in the extreme. When I was working, I had to handle fleet policies for my boss. I had to turn in anyone who would be driving any of the vehicles. The insurance company always ran every person's driving record. If it wasn't up to snuff, they got back to me and told me. My boss had to make the decision as to whether or not he would be driving any vehicle or be a passenger. That is the safest way to handle any of the above situations that are "what ifs". That way, the insurance company cannot charge you more than your contract premium and you won't be in any danger of the insurance not covering you. It boils down to common sense. There shouldn't be any other thing that "may influence your premium" except someone's driving record and company policy as to coverage of an unlisted driver. If your coach is being repaired by a company, they have insurance for each of their drivers. If not, you need to look for someone else to do the repairs. I wouldn't let a "shade tree mechanic" touch any RV that I owned.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
__________________________________________________ _________
This would refer to a driver, who is a proposed driver, If your coach is being repaired by a company, they have insurance for each of their drivers. If not, you need to look for someone else to do the repairs. I wouldn't let a "shade tree mechanic" touch any RV that I owned.
Lack of paragraphs made all the words run together, but you're answering questions that weren't asked. Nothing in the OP mentions premium amounts, it is about coverage, so reference to DUI and other infractions doesn't matter.

Shade tree mechanics abound, and you would be in the minority if you demanded a current insurance binder on anybody that worked on your RV, but that's your choice as a consumer. My question is, why take the risk if your insurance company restricts coverage to only those listed on the policy?

I pay less than $1,000/year for full coverage from State Farm, regardless of whom I allow to drive it. Your results may differ.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vschweiger View Post
That is the way it has been for a long time it is the same way with your car if your name is not on title they do not have to insure you and that is with all insurance company. I know that from personal experience
Totally wrong information. A title provides ownership proof, and has nothing to do with insurance coverage.

Otherwise, many of our wives (or husbands) would not be covered by insurance because the title is in one person's name, and that premise is a false narrative.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
That is the way it has been for a long time it is the same way with your car if your name is not on title the do not have to insure you and that is with all insurance company I know that from personal experience
Not even sure where to start here, it's all kinds of wrong.

As I stated earlier, check your policy under "who is an insured", or something similar. In most jurisdictions anyone you give permission to will be covered, with some limitations. "Frequent and regular" use may be excluded but this will be defined within the policy too.

As for "the agent said", there's a reason they have very limited authority to settle claims and they carry "errors and omissions" coverage.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #91

Insurance company do not have to pay if you are not on the that person insuance it is up to the insurance company choice so just because it said it is ok does not mean it is ok I have felt with this with a few insurance company. When we were transport my mother inlaw and when to have sister in law drive it nation wide said they are not covered because they are not on the policy. An when you have insurance they want to know who is on the title and who is not. It might be fine loaner the vehicle but it is up to the insurance company not they want to cover them. I have a vo worker that loaned her car to her son and he got in to a wreck and the insurance said they would not cover it do when you are loaning your car at your own risk
vschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Insurance company do not have to pay if you are not on the that person insuance it is up to the insurance company choice so just because it said it is ok does not mean it is ok I have felt with this with a few insurance company. When we were transport my mother inlaw and when to have sister in law drive it nation wide said they are not covered because they are not on the policy. An when you have insurance they want to know who is on the title and who is not. It might be fine loaner the vehicle but it is up to the insurance company not they want to cover them. I have a vo worker that loaned her car to her son and he got in to a wreck and the insurance said they would not cover it do when you are loaning your car at your own risk
Well, what do you suggest we do, add every one who may help us out and drive once in awhile or someone who may test drive a rig prior to sale. Safeco says no if someone is an occasional driver it is allowed and all terms of your policy will be in effect as if they were an approved driver.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #93

Quote:
I have never found much of anything you have stated above in your post to be true ??

Its back to.
Do you price shop for rock bottom policies with shady companies?

And everyone is responsible to call his, her agent and review his, her policy.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcamping View Post
This may not belong in this section....but our adult son and family would like to borrow our Class C for a few days. Our insurance agent said our insurance will cover no one driving it but me and my spouse. Can anyone give me information if this is even a possibility with any other insurance company? I thought that if you are covered it goes with you no matter what or whose vehicle you drive but the agent said that is not true even on other people's vehicles. We do pay extra on our insurance for RV coverage.
My insurance agent told me that in case of a claim the liability stays with the holder of the policy. It cannot cover any third party.
edfsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance