RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Insurance for family member borrowing RV.

This may not belong in this section....but our adult son and family would like to borrow our Class C for a few days. Our insurance agent said our insurance will cover no one driving it but me and my spouse. Can anyone give me information if this is even a possibility with any other insurance company? I thought that if you are covered it goes with you no matter what or whose vehicle you drive but the agent said that is not true even on other people's vehicles. We do pay extra on our insurance for RV coverage.

iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My old policies let me have anyone I gave permission to the ability to drive my vehicles with insurance.
Now that is not allowed with the two companies I've been with.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

That doesn't sound right. If your vehicle is insured, and you let someone borrow it, it's still insured. That person does have to be legally able to drive. No suspended license or anything like that. You also can't just give your vehicle to someone else and say they were borrowing it because then it's fraud. It's very unlikely that anyone would do that with an RV though.
It just doesn't make sense that an insurance company wouldn't let you loan your vehicle to a family member.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

You should at least be able to add them to the policy as named drivers. For a price, as they’re likely in a higher risk group than you are.

You’ll get better answers if you tell where you are and what company. Insurance regulations and policies vary depending on location.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It depends on the company. If your agent tells you no, then the answer is no for that company. You could call around to other carriers & ask but do you want to go to the hassle of dropping your current coverage & getting another just to let someone borrow your RV? Check the difference in rates if you decide to go that route.

You could drive it to the location & set it up (have someone in a car follow you so you can get home), then come back later to retrieve your RV.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
WDW

Interesting. I thought you insured vehicles but rated drivers. So incidental use wouldn’t be covered if they were traveling with you and they took a shift driving?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Interesting. I thought you insured vehicles but rated drivers. So incidental use wouldn’t be covered if they were traveling with you and they took a shift driving?
That may be different since you are with them.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My ins through the Hartford is specific to the vehicle and named drivers. Might just be a WA State thing though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #9

NJ is the same. Maybe all ins. is going that way.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This has really raised a big question in my head! I'm calling my insurance agent today to check it out!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
NJ is the same. Maybe all ins. is going that way.
I have 3 different Ins company's for 3 different types of vehicles and only the named are on the insurance. All state no drivers under 25 and named are covered. Didn't check any further into it. Never saw a need.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I called my insurance agent about this. We have Safeco on the MH and our autos.

She wasn't positive so she called Safeco. They told her that our insurance is good with any licensed driver that we might loan the MH to! They said that if we would be letting someone else use it on a regular basis that we should add their name to the drivers list, which can be done at no charge to us.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been with National General through Good Sam for decades - there have been several times when our adult sons have borrowed our car, and they are covered when they are driving. We call NG whenever we lend out the car, but we are told each time that we don't have to call - they're automatically covered, so long as we give them permission to drive.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. We are just west of St. Louis, MO. We bought our motor home (class C) with the thinking that we would be able to watch our adult 2 kids also enjoy it from time to time with their families. Our AAA agent said that only my spouse and I are covered. Our son called and his insurance agent (America Family) said that if he was driving it our insurance (AAA) would provide the coverage if there was an accident which contradicts what our agent said. We're going to dig a little more because this doesn't make sense. I guess they don't want us loaning any of our vehicles to anyone. May just need to change insurance companies.

iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance