Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I feel 10 times safer in Mexico than I do anywhere in the USA.
With that last statement I see why you would not feel safe in the USA...

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I feel 10 times safer in Mexico than I do anywhere in the USA.

Buddy ... you are one guy i want to meet and have a beer with ....

I really would love to hang out and hear from you sometime about the last 10 places in the U.S. you've been to,
AND the last 10 places in Mex you've been to in order to make a statement like that.

Your stories are either as stretched as mine, or you live one heckofa exciting life.

Border Town Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Well lets see, just spent two weeks in Mazatlan felt safe. Yes there was a drug hit while we were there at a restaurant we were to eat at later that week. But only one shooting in two weeks. Being from the Seattle area a day doesn't go by without a shooting, plus they spray the bullets into the crowd. At least in Mexico they go after the people they want not at random. JMO I'll go back!!

LEN
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #32

Let's be honest Americans embrace fear! We all carry guns for protection even though we've never needed to use one for protection in our entire life. We have the most powerful military in the world with the capability of blowing up every square inch of the world several times over. We are the only country in the world to keep soldiers in other countries, 150 other countries! We see ourselves as the worlds policeman, but the reality is that we are afraid, mostly of countries who are no threat to us.

We never read below the headlines!

Yes the drug cartels are fighting and killing each other. Yes the drug cartels are taking over towns on the border, killing anyone getting in their way. That way they can continue to make Billions selling Marijuana to Americans. Marijuana isn't a big problem for public health or violence, but it's illegal which translates to big profits for criminals! Our big drug problems are with legal prescription drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. We are a society that lives on drugs. If you are one who is saying not me, get up and look in your medicine chest in your bathroom, what do you see? What do you drink when you get up in the morning? Need that cup of Jo to start the morning?

You can't be stupid about what you do in Mexico. It's never been a good idea to drive at night on roads in rural areas. If for nothing else because you might encounter a black cow in the middle of the road! You can't be stupid about what you do in the US either! Phoenix is getting better but a couple of years ago it ranked second behind Mexico City in murder and kidnapping in North America. Many US cities see at least one murder every day. You might just be in the wrong place at the wrong time here in the good old USA!

I'm guessing most of you who are making comments about traveling into Mexico don't travel anywhere outside the US and possibly Canada. You never have and never will, so what's changed? It's a big world out there some of us want to experience it some don't. We love to travel around the world as well as the US. Yes travel does carry some risk, but so does life in general. There are thousands RV'rs traveling though Mexico right now without any problems.

We spent a week in November driving around Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. We'll be back in Puerto Penasco in March.

If you don't want to go to Mexico by all means don't go! It just makes it easier for those of us who are not afraid to get a beach front site.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've worked 37+ years for an international corporation serving the oil and gas industry worldwide. We have plants, service offices and support facilities on every continent, and I've traveled to more sites outside the U.S. than I care to remember, so I'm not a novice when it comes to international travel and working in hostile environments, and neither is my employer.

Having said that, within the last 6 months we've pulled all of our Americans out of Mexico and won't send U.S. service personnel to Mexico at this time.

Take it for what it's worth.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Let's stay on topic and avoid personal and off topic political posts.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Like the three hikers in Iran. New the dangers and now expects us to all chip in and get them out.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #36

My .02 is no way would we cross the border into Mexico We used to camp down in Rosarita about 20+ years ago and it was beautiful, but that was then and this is now...not worth the chance IMHO. Of course we are just beginning our FTing adventure and there is so much to see here in the USA...that will keep us busy for quite a while
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
I would never willingly place myself in such danger and under no circumstances would I put my family in such danger. You can find cheap beer and sandy beaches in other places.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
I would never willingly place myself in such danger and under no circumstances would I put my family in such danger. You can find cheap beer and sandy beaches in other places.
x2...........between the issues in Mexico and having 4 legged kids now, is why we travel in a MH in the good ole USA...but I do like Dos XX beer...and a lot of it!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #39

Quote:
If you don't want to go to Mexico by all means don't go! It just makes it easier for those of us who are not afraid to get a beach front site.

We won't - and by the same token, I guess that the more USA RVers who get shot or butchered down south of the border just leaves the rest of us more room up here to RV camp in the MANY safer places in the states...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
We crossed the border many times for approximately five years to go for dental work. It costs so much less there. We have a friend who is Mexican and she has family there. She said that if we were Mexican we would have no problem, but being American we are good people to kidnap and hold for ransom. This has been an increasing problem. She advised us to skip the dental trips until things change, but it doesn't look like that will be in the near future. It's too bad and I feel sorry for the Mexican people who count on American money for a living. I hope that things change, but it doesn't look good. I personally worry more about a kidnapping than being shot. They make more money kidnapping. If I'm dead they get nothing. Happy trails, Joe
Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #41

Obviously this conversation has become more than a little crazy, but these kinds of boards are more known for emotion than fact.

Just in case any of you are interested in safely traveling into Mexico you might want to check out the Vagabundos, Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat & Travel Club - Mexican Insurance, Baja & Mexico Group Activities and Tours They do caravans into Mexico, offer insurance, have events in Mexico and other locations. They have a board with a Travel buddies calendar. That way you can find someone to travel into Mexico with you. I'm not a caravan traveler but as I understand it most of them take you in and let you return on your own. Once you go in as a group you realize it's not the big problem you thought it might be.

I also did a search for drug war issues in Puerto Penasco today. Everything I came up with was 2 or 3 years old and was basically meaningless.

Michael
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
Obviously this conversation has become more than a little crazy, but these kinds of boards are more known for emotion than fact.

Just in case any of you are interested in safely traveling into Mexico you might want to check out the Vagabundos, Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat & Travel Club - Mexican Insurance, Baja & Mexico Group Activities and Tours They do caravans into Mexico, offer insurance, have events in Mexico and other locations. They have a board with a Travel buddies calendar. That way you can find someone to travel into Mexico with you. I'm not a caravan traveler but as I understand it most of them take you in and let you return on your own. Once you go in as a group you realize it's not the big problem you thought it might be.

I also did a search for drug war issues in Puerto Penasco today. Everything I came up with was 2 or 3 years old and was basically meaningless.

Michael
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
In another Mexico post [I don't want to duplicate] there is a post showing a news article about the Rocky Point Police Chief and his aid being shot. Also three civilians in a gas station. This happened the past June. Search for it. Joe