Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
vegascouple, with the negative press, even coming from the major tourist areas, I will not go to Mexico, same as I will not go to Egypt now.

You may feel safe, but there is still an extreme risk to travel into Mexico. The drug cartels do not know of boundaries or rules of engagement. They pretty much go and do as they please. Since they are looking to expand their territory and business, they will move to any target of opportunity. I will not be said target.

As I have said in the past, I work with Mexican Nationals an they do not like traveling back to Monterrey from Houston. The area at the border is the worst. And they do not recommend that tourist go to Mexico.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #44

I just thought I'd add this article. It has to do with New Mexico but I am certain other States have their own STAT Teams. The violence is spreading North and I figure if someone does not get proactive it will be as bad along our Border as South of it! I like Border Patrol and have no issues being searched by them.

FBI targets Mexican cartels in NM | Albuquerque, N.M, | KRQE News 13
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
In another Mexico post [I don't want to duplicate] there is a post showing a news article about the Rocky Point Police Chief and his aid being shot. Also three civilians in a gas station. This happened the past June. Search for it. Joe

I didn't find the story about the police chief as I was searching for drug violence and the stories I read didn't confirm drug violence although it's common for them to attack the police. I'm also not in AZ so those stories don't make the news here.

It's truly sad that so many Mexicans have to die because of our drug laws. However, what I'm most concerned about is violence against tourists. You refereed to kidnapping and murder. Since I'm not in AZ I may have missed the story. How many RV'rs or tourists have been kidnapped or murdered in Rocky Point during the last several years?

Comparing Mexico to Egypt or Iran is a big stretch! I would have gone to Egypt before the demonstrations. That is one of those trips I want to make before I die! You would be a fool to go to Iran. There is nothing comparable between the drug violence we see in Mexico and the civil unrest against repressive governments in the middle east.

I'm not interested in going someplace that puts my life in danger but so far I'm only hearing about Mexicans in border towns, cartel members, and law enforcement being the target of drug violence. I'm not part of the drug cartel, nor do I live in a border town, and I'm not a police chief. If you have specific information about tourists, who are not being stupid, being attacked, please forward it to me. Otherwise I think I'm as safe in Mexico as I am in Phoenix!

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I just thought I'd add this article. It has to do with New Mexico but I am certain other States have their own STAT Teams. The violence is spreading North and I figure if someone does not get proactive it will be as bad along our Border as South of it! I like Border Patrol and have no issues being searched by them.

FBI targets Mexican cartels in NM | Albuquerque, N.M, | KRQE News 13
The Mexican drug cartels have been buying US real estate, and influencing our elections in the US for several years. There is a lot of kidnapping and murder directly attributed to the Mexican cartels in most of our major cities. The biggest contributor to the anti marijuana campaign in California was the Mexican drug cartel. You cannot escape this problem by staying in the US.

There is but one way to solve this problem!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
vegascouple;

There is but one way to solve this problem![/QUOTE]

We don't have the stomach to fix the problem. There is too much money being made, on both sides, enforcing the laws and selling drugs, to solve the problem !! Everyone wants their cut, the good guys and the bad guys.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
vegascouple;

There is but one way to solve this problem!
We don't have the stomach to fix the problem. There is too much money being made, on both sides, enforcing the laws and selling drugs, to solve the problem !! Everyone wants their cut, the good guys and the bad guys.[/QUOTE]

Chuck, You are 100% correct! What's really difficult is determining who the good guys are?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
If the deadly end of the barrel is pointing at you, they may not be the good guys.

Just a guess...

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
VEGASCOUPLE,
I believe that you wanted to know about kidnappings of US citizens. I took the following paragraph from a news article dated September 10, 2010:

<<<Violence has occurred throughout Mexico, including in areas frequented by American tourists. U.S. citizens traveling in Mexico should exercise caution in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places. In recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped and most of their cases remain unsolved.>>>

If you want the entire article let me know your email address because it is eight pages long in #10 type. I didn't think that I should post an article that large. I don't know if it is allowed. Joe
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
VEGASCOUPLE,
I believe that you wanted to know about kidnappings of US citizens. I took the following paragraph from a news article dated September 10, 2010:

<<<Violence has occurred throughout Mexico, including in areas frequented by American tourists. U.S. citizens traveling in Mexico should exercise caution in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places. In recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped and most of their cases remain unsolved.>>>

If you want the entire article let me know your email address because it is eight pages long in #10 type. I didn't think that I should post an article that large. I don't know if it is allowed. Joe
I should add that a friend of ours used to live in Mexico and still has family there. She said that I personally should worry more about being kidnapped and held for ransom than being shot. She said that Americans are kidnapping targets and it is pretty hard to disguise the fact that I am not Mexican. I used to go into Mexico regularly for about five years. I quit that last year because of the danger. Joe