Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Is "Cat" on the road again??

Coming up out of North Carolina today I was looking at a truck lot beside the interstate.........A semi with 3 big letters on the grill.......big letters........"CAT"........So upon parking for the night.......This is what I found and have not looked into it to far yet..... Drive CAT | CT660 – the Class 8 Vocation Truck from Caterpillar
I am assuming they are back on the road?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure these are powered by MAN engines badged as Navistar. Only the chassis is CAT.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I'm pretty sure these are powered by MAN engines badged as Navistar. Only the chassis is CAT.
Not so sure......its Yellow!
Engines | Drive CAT

Under the hood, the Cat Truck is powered by a Cat CT Vocational Truck Engine with ratings specific to vocational truck applications and horsepower/torque combinations to tackle the toughest jobs.
Want more details on the CT13 engine?
Get all the specs here.

- See more at: Engines | Drive CAT
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Per the OP's link the engines are CAT CT13, so it appears they are back on the road.

Dick

from the web page

POWER MATCH.
CAT VOCATIONAL ENGINES
are built with ratings specifically

created for vocational truck applications. They’re designed to deliver
the ultimate horsepower/torque combinations to tackle the toughest
jobs and harshest work environments.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Right here!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rusty Missoula.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	75741  
Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Maybe, CAT recently began manufacturing. Here's an older press release saying they are Navistar engines. Someone in the know told me these engines are actually the MAN engines, exclusively rebadged in the US by Navistar.

http://www.drivecat.com/blog/2011/01/the-press-asked/

Like I said, times may have changed.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

cat

Having some work done at Cat dealer in August. He told me Cat is making engines for heavy duty equipment but not for anything over the road that he was aware of.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Busy in their time off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Having some work done at Cat dealer in August. He told me Cat is making engines for heavy duty equipment but not for anything over the road that he was aware of.
The engineer's were busy in the years they took off.......
(click on photo to enlarge it, its pretty)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat truck.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	75904  
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Cat | On-Highway Truck | Caterpillar
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

Cat still makes engines and Navistar makes the electronics and Cummins provides the after treatment. So yes you can still get a Cat on the road but it is not all Cat anymore. Seems strange that all the American owned companies are out of production.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

Just thank the EPA for setting unrealistic emission standards. Even when CAT was making EPA-07 OTR engines they were paying non compliance fines. I think Cummins was the only American engine that didn't exit the OTR market. Detroit and CAT both exited the market. DD is back, I still am not convinced CAT is back as a manufacturer.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #12

Cummins is a English company always has been. Detroit is no longer American Owned. Mack stopped making engines years ago and Navistar is on life support with no after treatment. Cat gave up OTR engines shortly after Mack pulled the plug on theirs. Mack and Navistar were the only 2 American made trucks that produced all of their own components But Navistar bought a lot of rear ends and transmissions where Mack made them in house.

To put the EPA restrictions in perspective I describe it like this a man picks up trash along the road and leaves nothing behind until his bag is full then he dumps it on the side of the road and starts over. That is roughly what happens in the Regen cycle.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #13

From Cummins' web site, it sure doesn't appear to be and have always been English:

Founded in Columbus, Ind., in 1919 as Cummins Engine Company..."
Company name: Cummins Inc.
Corporate Headquarters: Columbus, Indiana
Stock Symbol: CMI (traded on NYSE)
Founded: 1919
2013 revenues: $17.3 billion
Fortune 500 rank: 186
2012 net income: $1.66 billion
Employees: 46,000 worldwide

Global Headquarters

Cummins Inc.
500 Jackson Street
Columbus, IN 47201
U.S.A.

Yep, Detroit is part of Daimler Trucks North America. So, they aren't US owned. Come to think of it, less and less is.

A Chinese investment group just bought the prestigious Waldorf-Astoria hotel. A Belgium group is building and will own the High Occupancy Toll roads in VA, just outside of DC. We're in a global environment and it seems the US is sadly for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Cummins is a English company always has been. Detroit is no longer American Owned. Mack stopped making engines years ago and Navistar is on life support with no after treatment. Cat gave up OTR engines shortly after Mack pulled the plug on theirs. Mack and Navistar were the only 2 American made trucks that produced all of their own components But Navistar bought a lot of rear ends and transmissions where Mack made them in house.

To put the EPA restrictions in perspective I describe it like this a man picks up trash along the road and leaves nothing behind until his bag is full then he dumps it on the side of the road and starts over. That is roughly what happens in the Regen cycle.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
funny, Every bolt and nut on my Cummins engine is metric........

Tags
cat