Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Every '90s plus era car I have had a GPS in worked within 1 mph. 1993 Accord on up...
Our Jeep is out but reads closenuff but our van is a whole nother story. Almost 11 KPR between the 110 KPH indicated as regards to the 97 on the GPS.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #86

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
Trying to visually tell someone to slow down there is a cop ahead is NOT "aiding and abetting" speeding. It's telling them to slow down. Slowing down to the speed limit isn't abetting speeding - its just the opposite - abetting law keeping (at least until they get past the cop then their sins be upon their own head).
Well Jim, that is your opinion, as it happens it is very very close to my opinion as well. (Just so you know where I stand on the issue, Right next to you).

But some lawmakers (Most of who are law breakers by the way) seem to think it is "Aiding and abetting" and have thus penned laws and gotten them passed.

I am unable to find the "Wierd new state laws" article, but...

I found several articles where a Judge in Florida in 2012 rules that flashing headlights was protected free speech..

I tried again, I take back the "I could not find"

Weird New Laws of 2013

It is the last law mentioned on the first page of the article, Did not look to see if there was a 2nd page.

I need to say again though Jim... I agree with you, NOT Flordia.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #87

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Flash your lights at EVERYONE! Then everyone will slow down, no one will get tickets and you will all be safer. Works for me.

Sort of like pointing a gun at anyone in case they want to rob you? No that is not the same at all, is it? I would like to think I travel at or close to the speed limit at all times, but every now and then, my speed creeps up. If you remind me of that I will be grateful. If you also stop me from inadvertently getting a $200 speeding ticket I will be delighted.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #88

Anytime you commit "contempt of cop" you are attracting attention to yourself. Following someone for 1/4 mile will give some reason to pull you over, if a LEO wants to. Is it worth it?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #89

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
Flash your lights at EVERYONE! Then everyone will slow down, no one will get tickets and you will all be safer. Works for me.

Sort of like pointing a gun at anyone in case they want to rob you? No that is not the same at all, is it? I would like to think I travel at or close to the speed limit at all times, but every now and then, my speed creeps up. If you remind me of that I will be grateful. If you also stop me from inadvertently getting a $200 speeding ticket I will be delighted.
Did that once on a trip.. at the top of every hill, I flashed... funny to watch all the cars suddenly slow and sneak into line with the trucks
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #90

A wise man once said that a government cannot control its citizens unless they are breaking the law. Call it coincidence or intentional, but today there are so many overlapping, redundant, and often conflicting laws that at any given moment every citizen is guilty of breaking a law - thus giving the "contempt of cop" real teeth. Any cop worth his salt can find a number of infractions on any driver.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #91

A policeman sitting by the side of the road, watching a radar readout, is not involved in law enforcement or safety. He is involved in revenue enhancement.

This has become a ridiculous dance between government entities who want to claim to care about safety and those who clearly need to improve their revenue.

I got a ticket last month for parking on the shoulder of a ramp to take a 45 minute nap. 3 a.m., falling asleep, and no other parking available. Don't you feel safer, now?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #92

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, if you actually comply with the speed limit, then exclusive of California, you are not likely to get a speeding ticket, (IN CA they ticket you for obstructing traffic).

Thus, since doing 90 in th 65 zone is gong to make my gasoline supplier very very happy... I comply with the speed lmit.

I won't get into a money or enforcement debate. WHY, because I know for a fact there are many towns that run the government completely off speeding fines.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #93

National RV Owners Club
When you should flash your head and rear lights.

One of the times I flash my head lights is if at night on a back road and a oncoming car has his high beams on and I have mine on I will switch to my low beams (they usely do the same thing) until he or she passes me.
The other time I switch my light up and down is when a large rig passes me and he is far enough ahead of me I will flash my lights to let him or her know that it O.K. to pull in front of me.
If the truck driver has been driving for any length of time he will blink his tail light to thank you for helping him move into your lane.

Just a thought.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #94

Both of my Motorhomes have Daytime driving lights. But that's ok as they make 1000's of land changes daily and ease up a bit to "let em' in "
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #95

For anyone still following this thread, my class-action suit against the state of FL was dismissed. The basis for the dismissal: The judge felt that since the state law was amended to clarify that the act of flashing one's headlights (high or low beam) was a perfectly legal form of communication (regardless of message content), and the FHP issued a permanent directive banning the practice of stopping/citing motorists who warn one another with their headlights, the case was moot.

While I personally did achieve what I'd set out to do (get the state to publicly acknowledge that the enforcement was wrong, and change the practice), it does not rectify the thousands of illegitimate tickets that the state KNEW were bogus as they issued them. Thus, my attorney has appealed the dismissal.

The latest notice I received was from the Florida Supreme Court (FSC), ordering the lower District Court of Appeals and the FHP to explain to them (FSC) why they felt the case was dismissed. Apparently there were some real shenanigans going on. One of the judges assigned to the suit was neighbors with the director of the FHP.

In any case, the fact that the FSC is acting on our petition for mandamus (request for the order) indicates they too feel this warrants further investigation.

Fortunately, there are other Florida residents that have taken up the cause, and actually test the application of the amended statute and FHP directive.

Here's a video of a guy that tried it near Jacksonville on the interstate. He was stopped. and the whole thing was captured (reluctantly) on video:

SPEED TRAP CRASHER! - YouTube
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #96

Thor Owners Club
Imagine the speeder who is warned by an oncoming motorist who is flashing his headlights now feels he's gotten away with one and picks up his speed again and at some point in the future driving in the same aggresive manner crashes, killing or maiming an innocent motorist (maybe a family member or friend). Although you would never know about the collision ticketing the speeder may have caused him to slow down for a period of time thereby possibly preventing an accident and all the associated misery tht comes with major collisions. Police arent likely targeting drivers going 10 mph over the speed limit on highways. I'm a traffic LEO and all I do is target motorist travelling 15 - 20 mph over the speed limit. The same drivers you are warning are likely the ones running thru your school zones and park zones. Personally it doesn't matter to me if you flash headlights, I'll see the same driver at some other point in his life at the roadside or an collision scene where he's mumbling "what have I done". Drivers don't often consider that the person they maybe warning is a guy who needs a ticket and might be driving thru their neighbourhood in the future. Its a proven fact that folks that get a ticket slow down for a time (months) afterward. And I'm sure folks have "stories" about being pulled over when only going 2 miles over the speed limit and all kinds of other slants on speed enforcement. I doubt anyone will come on the thread and admit to speeding or deserving the speeding ticket. Fact is that speed kills and the higher the speed the greater the injury or likely hood of death. And I have seen a lot of fatalities that could have been prevented. My two cents for what its worth.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Imagine the speeder who is warned by an oncoming motorist who is flashing his headlights now feels he's gotten away with one and picks up his speed again and at some point in the future driving in the same aggresive manner crashes, killing or maiming an innocent motorist (maybe a family member or friend). Although you would never know about the collision ticketing the speeder may have caused him to slow down for a period of time thereby possibly preventing an accident and all the associated misery tht comes with major collisions. Police arent likely targeting drivers going 10 mph over the speed limit on highways. I'm a traffic LEO and all I do is target motorist travelling 15 - 20 mph over the speed limit. The same drivers you are warning are likely the ones running thru your school zones and park zones. Personally it doesn't matter to me if you flash headlights, I'll see the same driver at some other point in his life at the roadside or an collision scene where he's mumbling "what have I done". Drivers don't often consider that the person they maybe warning is a guy who needs a ticket and might be driving thru their neighbourhood in the future. Its a proven fact that folks that get a ticket slow down for a time (months) afterward. And I'm sure folks have "stories" about being pulled over when only going 2 miles over the speed limit and all kinds of other slants on speed enforcement. I doubt anyone will come on the thread and admit to speeding or deserving the speeding ticket. Fact is that speed kills and the higher the speed the greater the injury or likely hood of death. And I have seen a lot of fatalities that could have been prevented. My two cents for what its worth.
(SIGH)

Seems like no matter HOW legitimate and innocent a project or opinion is offered here, SOMEONE always has to try to find an opening for criticism - regardless of HOW far out in left-field the criticism is...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #98

Trust me, I know about the red-herring arguments. It seems that LEO simply cannot understand the limits of their power with regard to the Constitution. I can appreciate that they feel they've been "outed" by people who warn each other, but the fact remains... It's protected speech. The Constitution is a bit more far-reaching than they'd like. It is precisely controversial content that helps bring the value of the First Amendment into crisp focus.

Whether you agree with speeding or not, or you want every evil-doer to be caught, is irrelevant to the issue of whether motorists have the right to communicate with one another.

Yes, there may be an abducted child in one of the cars being warned, and yes, I may unwittingly help a bank robber avoid being pulled over. But, those are the costs of liberty. Taken to the opposite extreme, we can stop all domestic abuse and pedophilia by placing a cop in every home - or allowing random home inspections by law enforcement. Our rights atrophy if not exercised.