Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Imagine the speeder who is warned by an oncoming motorist who is flashing his headlights now feels he's gotten away with one and picks up his speed again and at some point in the future driving in the same aggresive manner crashes, killing or maiming an innocent motorist (maybe a family member or friend).
Since we're dealing with hypothetical irrelevancies, I'll bite. What if my flashing headlights gets someone to slow down who might have crashed due to his reckless speeding BEFORE he gets to your patrol? Or, what if I get him to slow down so he doesn't plow into you while you've got someone stopped on the side of the road...

There are a lot of "what if's". But what is certain is that YOU (as an agent of the government) DO NOT have the right to prevent me from communicating with others. Period.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #100

I will bite for 100th post on this topic you brag about spending money to prove freedom I do not know you but I take your messages as one that did not serve this country in any form to keep this freedom you seem to hold so dearly. I will continue to abide by laws including speed limit. I will try my best not to cause any mishaps caused by my driving. I do not respect people who throw money into courts but I do respect our women and men in all types of uniforms. Sir I hope you never need there help, they will help you because they help everyone as best as they can. Flash lights all you want just do it safely please my family is on the roads to.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee
I will bite for 100th post on this topic you brag about spending money to prove freedom I do not know you but I take your messages as one that did not serve this country in any form to keep this freedom you seem to hold so dearly. I will continue to abide by laws including speed limit. I will try my best not to cause any mishaps caused by my driving. I do not respect people who throw money into courts but I do respect our women and men in all types of uniforms. Sir I hope you never need there help, they will help you because they help everyone as best as they can. Flash lights all you want just do it safely please my family is on the roads to.
I do not understand the justification, the relevance or why you feel, entitled to this rant. WHAT exactly does serving in the armed forces have to do with whether or not you CAN use this forum to discuss an issue, express an opinion or pursue free speech? At no point in this thread have I seen the OP say or do anything that is disrespectful of men/women in uniform....I have however read your post which to me is nothing more than intimidation (bullying). Shame on you!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #102
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok. Enough with the personal comments. Our # 1 rule here is " be nice ". Lets get back on topic , please.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The RCMP and the over priced provincial insurance corporation routinely post in Newspapers and in TV commercials the "Speed Kills" and frequently lower speed limits under the guise of safety but in reality they are just ways to increase ticket revenue. They also got the inebriated percentage lowered to .05 so the ICBC (Government Insurance) upper echelon get their Christmas Bonuses. Highways we routinely drove at 60 MPH (96.5 kph) are now lowered to 80 kph (49.7 mph) so that drivers used to a certain speed are now breaking the law by driving that speed they were comfortable with. Sure yeah right, speed kills.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I have however read your post which to me is nothing more than intimidation (bullying). Shame on you!
Jack, I appreciate your support with that post - and am sorry to see that the moderators feel this is veering into no-no land. After having been in the fight to hold the government accountable for this long, I've seen this same type of logic on many occasion - almost exclusively from those in law enforcement. It doesn't offend me, and certainly doesn't make me any less apt to stick up for their rights.

The issue of speeding is usually what causes the most reflux. But in reality, the right to communicate is paramount to that one hot-button topic.

For example, let's say you're driving down the interstate on a dark, foggy night, and you see a ladder laying in the road of the on-coming traffic lanes. How do you let approaching motorists know that there's a hazard ahead?

What about deer, or a dog, or a tire, or [fill in the blank]? Somehow, you, as a motorist, need to have the right to let others know to "slow down! Pay attention! Hazard ahead!". The only effective way to get the attention of oncoming traffic is with your headlights.

Now, if we can all agree that this METHOD of communication should be available to all motorists for THESE types of hazards, then we've established that it is a valid form of communication (protected by the 1st Amendment).

Thus, using this method of communication to warn drivers of ALL hazards (including those to your wallet) MUST also be protected - no mater the consequence to the revenue-generating machines known as traffic enforcement.

Yes, one of the "unintended" consequences might be that a driver with an outstanding warrant might avoid getting caught, but unless the flashing driver KNOWS that the approaching driver is a) speeding, and b) wanted by the law, he is neither complicit, nor obstructing justice.

And, as I stated earlier, the effect of flashing one's lights causes approaching motorists to drive slower, safer, and with more attention to their surroundings. What exactly is the downside to that.

I sure hope others can avoid the temptation to turn this into a personal attack issue. Whether you agree with this type of activism or not, hopefully we can show enough respect of each others' rights to not make this personal.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #105

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Fred1609,
The supposed whole idea of setting up radar is to slow people down, isn't it. In Ohio many years ago the highway patrol would set unmanned cruisers in the median crossovers to slow traffic down. The problem nowadays isn't
about safety, it is about revenue, and meeting quotas. There is a lot less integrity now in the ranks of many departments. I do my best to follow the laws of our land, but it gets pretty hard when every juridiction has different laws and some of them conterdict another law.
Now my 2cents on the flashing of lights, it goes back to the original thought of safety. If I flash my lights to slow someone down, then I have helped you with your job of safety. Being a retired truck driver, I usually flash my lights to let a truck or RV know that it is safe to move into my lane, old time courtesy that I was taught many years ago.

It is too bad that part of being an elected official in this country seems to be that one has too give up any common sense that they might have had.

Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Fred1609,
The supposed whole idea of setting up radar is to slow people down, isn't it. In Ohio many years ago the highway patrol would set unmanned cruisers in the median crossovers to slow traffic down. The problem nowadays isn't
about safety, it is about revenue, and meeting quotas. There is a lot less integrity now in the ranks of many departments. I do my best to follow the laws of our land, but it gets pretty hard when every juridiction has different laws and some of them conterdict another law.
Now my 2cents on the flashing of lights, it goes back to the original thought of safety. If I flash my lights to slow someone down, then I have helped you with your job of safety. Being a retired truck driver, I usually flash my lights to let a truck or RV know that it is safe to move into my lane, old time courtesy that I was taught many years ago.
It is too bad that part of being an elected official in this country seems to be that one has too give up any common sense that they might have had.

Frank
Very well said Frank. I had written a response to Fred1609 and the off kilter logic. After posting it I decided to delete it before the moderaters felt I was a little severe in my response. Your last sentance said it all.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #107

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank you for your kind words Chuck.
I don't want to give the impresssion that I don't respect law enforcement officers. beause I do, but they have to deserve that respect and there are a lot of over zelous (sp) officers out their that just want to pad their ticket count.

Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #108
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry folks, I have to agree with the previous poster that anyone that is speeding is most likely violating the law in other respects also, like speeding in school zones, not stopping at stop signs and red lights, and on, and on. So why flash. Let them take their chances. Flashing your headlights and no knowing if the oncoming traffic is speeding is kind of mundane. If the oncoming traffic is not speeding they could give a darn if you flash your headlights or not. Hey, maybe they will turn around, catch up with you, and thank you with the money they would have to spend on a fine.

Is it illegal? Depends on your state? Is it a violation of your rights? Depends on your interpretation of the law, including local laws. Do you have the right to fight a ticket? yes you do. Do you have the money to fight the ticket? If yes, be my guest, otherwise pay the fine.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Funny I should run into this thread today

My wife is ADAMANT about me not flashing my lights for any reason... letting the truckers over or not....

but on the way home yesterday on a secondary 4 lane,
she TELLS me to flash my lights !
I'm like why ? then I see the momma duck and 6 or 8 babies waddling across the road

funny how in our lil suburb of DFW all 4 lanes stopped for that incident.

SO you see, situational ethics is at play !
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #110

WHAT exactly does serving in the armed forces have to do with whether or not you CAN use this forum to discuss an issue, express an opinion or pursue free speech?

Sorry cliff I have a short reply I did not say armed forces I said people in uniform. I will never condone speeding its illegal its unsafe and kills good people daily. That is my opinion. Not that any person is above the law freedom is just that freedom to follow laws set by the people we have elected to make such laws. Thank you please drive safely to many people die to early on the roads.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #111

I was driving on a secondary highway in north Florida last week and a pickup coming towards me flashed his headlights and sure enough about a mile down the road were two marked law enforcement vehicles. I didn't need to slow down since I was near a town that has a reputation as being a speed trap. I don't think I was in that town but why take a chance so I was driving the speed limit. If I had been pushing the speed limit I probably would have backed off the throttle a bit. Even when I'm exceeding the speed limit buy 5 or 6 mph I'm backing up traffic. I don't care to speed and also don't like to back up traffic so look for speed that seems to work in that area.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Imagine the speeder who is warned by an oncoming motorist who is flashing his headlights now feels he's gotten away with one and picks up his speed again and at some point in the future driving in the same aggresive manner crashes, killing or maiming an innocent motorist (maybe a family member or friend). Although you would never know about the collision ticketing the speeder may have caused him to slow down for a period of time thereby possibly preventing an accident and all the associated misery tht comes with major collisions. Police arent likely targeting drivers going 10 mph over the speed limit on highways. I'm a traffic LEO and all I do is target motorist travelling 15 - 20 mph over the speed limit. The same drivers you are warning are likely the ones running thru your school zones and park zones. Personally it doesn't matter to me if you flash headlights, I'll see the same driver at some other point in his life at the roadside or an collision scene where he's mumbling "what have I done". Drivers don't often consider that the person they maybe warning is a guy who needs a ticket and might be driving thru their neighbourhood in the future. Its a proven fact that folks that get a ticket slow down for a time (months) afterward. And I'm sure folks have "stories" about being pulled over when only going 2 miles over the speed limit and all kinds of other slants on speed enforcement. I doubt anyone will come on the thread and admit to speeding or deserving the speeding ticket. Fact is that speed kills and the higher the speed the greater the injury or likely hood of death. And I have seen a lot of fatalities that could have been prevented. My two cents for what its worth.

"Imagine", "Possibly", "may have", "thereby possibly"...... All words used for why I should give up my rights for the possible protection of something that may or may not occur.