Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Didnt see this thread either, but, ticketing for flashing headlights has been deemed incorrect for most of the states I have lived in, and if such a law were to be passed, I would assume it would easily be reversed.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
The "point" of a speed trap and tickets? To get people to slow down

What does flashing ones headlight to on-comming traffic get them to do? slow down

You just helping to get more people to slow down

Dont want to risk flashing ones lights, then roll down your windong and do the hand up and down "slow down gesture" ..... Hey I didnt flash my lights I was doing our "hello fellow camper wave"
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Not to mention that flashing of the lights off/on/off/on is the universal sign of 'hey, your lights are off' as well as 'police ahead'. Who could tell you for what reason you flashed then? I was in traffic court in VA when a judge verbally reprimanded a cop for just such an action. Didnt even need to hear the case, just saw what it was for and dismissed it on the spot.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
The usual out come of when a special enforcement team is put in a neighborhood to counter this action is that 75% of the drivers ticketed live in the neighborhood.
I came home from a Med cruise once and on my way home, took my usual 'shortcut' through a residential area to by pass the traffic. After making a left turn, I got waved over by a cop and told why. Apearently a 'no left turn' sign was put up just the day before. I smacked my head for not paying attention, then noticed that there were at least 10 other cars pulled over and another one behind me. After talking for a bit, the cop informed that everyone there, except me, lived in the area and that most tried to use the excuse of 'but we are the ones who put the signs up!'. He said he was giving each and everyone a ticket regardless.. I got let go with a warning
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #33

Let's see if I understand this - suppose I'm looking out an upstairs window and see a mugging in progress, and also notice a cop walking his beat who will momentarily round the corner and come upon this law-breaking in progress. If I call out or flash a light to warn the mugger so he can escape, it's my 1st amendment right to do so???? Somehow I think I would (and should) be charged as an "accessory after the fact" or something like that (I'm not a cop or lawyer).

As far as slowing down traffic, wouldn't it just slow them for a short distance till they're past the patrol car, and then continue speeding, confident they'll be warned whenever a cop is ahead? Perhaps even unmarked cars inhibit speeding since knowing they might be anywhere destroys the above-mentioned confidence that one can break the law without getting caught.

The supreme court has clearly ruled that all rights have limits - for example, the 1st amendment does not allow you to yell "fire" in a crowded theater.
jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Let's see if I understand this - suppose I'm looking out an upstairs window and see a mugging in progress, and also notice a cop walking his beat who will momentarily round the corner and come upon this law-breaking in progress. If I call out or flash a light to warn the mugger so he can escape, it's my 1st amendment right to do so???? Somehow I think I would (and should) be charged as an "accessory after the fact" or something like that (I'm not a cop or lawyer).
That's like comparing apples to oranges. Speeding is not the same as assault.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
That's like comparing apples to oranges. Speeding is not the same as assault.
But all too often, the results can be the same - a victim dies!
jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
The "point" of a speed trap and tickets? To get people to slow down

What does flashing ones headlight to on-comming traffic get them to do? slow down

You just helping to get more people to slow down

Dont want to risk flashing ones lights, then roll down your windong and do the hand up and down "slow down gesture" ..... Hey I didnt flash my lights I was doing our "hello fellow camper wave"
Free speech? Maybe. Loose gravel, me thinks.

I dont speed, thus no reason to flash. I drive according to the MPG limits.
Now, that was not true when I was working!

I dont drive hard. 300 to 400 miles is enough. I enjoy every evening! And over those distances, I can afford the extra 30 to 40 minutes each day, and leave a little extra motion-lotion in my tank.

Just my view from the saddle
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
But all too often, the results can be the same - a victim dies!
That's true. But people can die in accidents when neither party was speeding. I'm just saying that assault and battery is a far more serious crime than someone going 5-10 mile over the speed limit.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #38

If slowing down traffic were the prime objective, then all cop cruisers would be brilliantly marked so that people could see them coming for miles and check their driving accordingly. Any way you can assist in controlling the speed of traffic seems to me to be an admirable thing to do, so flash the lights and have drivers check what they are doing.
Unfortunately, current police patrols have no interest in controlling traffic, speed or anything else which is why they use speed traps, unmarked highway cars, etc. Their primary purpose is income generation which is why they are faster to give a ticket than to drive i n traffic and be a pace car.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #39

All comments speak about ones character. Appears there are a few here with very honorable character. I hope that my character proves to be honorable.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhks View Post
All comments speak about ones character. Appears there are a few here with very honorable character. I hope that my character proves to be honorable.

The "old school" way of police officers is good character

Thanks for what you do and BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #41

A few years back I was traveling through Virginia and noticed a motorhome in the middle of the medium on one of the interstates. When I passed the vehicle I noticed a radar unit hanging out the window. Parked behind the motorhome was a state police chase car. Now that's certainly keeping with the spirit of our forum and the actions of the police in this ongoing post.

Mike
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Or a motorcycle cop off his bike and standing the bushes on the downhill side of a hill or bridge.. Ya, they dont just want the money..