Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Is Pizza a Vegetable?

Tomato sauce on pizza is a vegetable, says Congress; says healthier school lunches are too expensive

The final version of a spending bill released late Monday would unravel school lunch standards the Agriculture Department proposed earlier this year, which included limiting the use of potatoes on the lunch line and delaying limits on sodium and delaying a requirement to boost whole grains.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz1e2sVyaXB

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
When I was a kid (many years ago) I worked in the school cafeteria washing dishes and cleaning up at the end of the day. Everything was made from scratch, everything !
That's not the case today, most everything served is heat and serve with cost being most important. Remember when they said ketchup was declared a vegetable ?
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

It does have to be a tough job to have a blend of foods that are both good for the kids and that they will actually eat. If you serve beets, brussels sprouts, tofu, and squash to a group of kids, it will ALL end up in the trash. Not a good use of tax money. We all know kids love Pizza and you can make Pizza with more sauce, topped with some veggies, less cheese and it's not too bad.

I'm all for limiting bad choices and portion sizes, encouraging good choices and at the same time encouraging exercise programs for our kids.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Pizza is the worlds most perfect food. It contains all of the 4 major food groups in a single, portable, hand-held package. The only problem with pizza is that it makes people crave ice-cold beer. Not a good thing in our schools.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
...... The only problem with pizza is that it makes people crave ice-cold beer. Not a good thing in our schools.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Pizza is the worlds most perfect food. It contains all of the 4 major food groups in a single, portable, hand-held package. The only problem with pizza is that it makes people crave ice-cold beer. Not a good thing in our schools.

I thought beer was one of the major food groups
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well ya see, it's like this...

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Doomed Thread, A fun thought before it vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Tomato sauce on pizza is a vegetable, says Congress...

(Nothing to do with food, of course. We all know that.)

Hey, I'm wondering if kids would like Euro-style pizza with thin crusts, veggies, puddles of olive oil, etc. I got one in Italy that had fresh corn, mozzarella and strips of paper-thin ham. Jeesh, it was wonderful! Healthy, too.

Why not let the kids have access to no-alcohol beer? After all, it's a taste combination they'll love later; and, availability might curb later teen drinking. Plus, many states have already decided that children can purchase and drink the stuff. Of course, school boards approving such a thing would be akin to the Iranian leader stating that women could wear string bikinis hidden under their burkas: in reality, nothing would change; but, the establishment couldn't live with the notion, in either case.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
...Why not let the kids have access to no-alcohol beer?
It'll never happen. We all know it's a "gateway" drink...
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
School lunches these days would have had me bringing home lunch every day of every year as a kid.

It was still heat and serve when I went through the public school system, but the pizza was generous with good toppings (canadian bacon, pepperoni) and the cheese was plentiful.

It came on top of a big basket of french fries with ranch, thousand, or ketchup as options.

I enjoyed that lunch from middle school up till my sophmore year of high school when they started the eco-healthy trip and the food became less for more money and stuff that wasn't really worth eating as a kid, so I went to packing my own lunches.

Besides the regular cold cut sandwiches, also brought braunschweiger, spam, and a great many other snacks to munch with my chips and sandwiches and Coke.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #11

I dated a dietician for a while once and she said in moderation (like most things) pizza is not a bad food
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Well ya see, it's like this...

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years ago Congress (opposite of Progress) declared that the tomato is a veggie (IT is a fruit) and thus Catchup was a Vegetable. So a hamburger (With Catchup) and fries is a balanced meal.. Per Congress.

Per Eddy Murphy in his very excellent movie: The Distinguished Gentleman.

What would you call a gathering of Con Men? (He plays a con man) CONGRESS! (Who runs for congress,,,, and wins)
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #14

I am just overjoyed our elected officials have the time to make decisions like this between the times they are doing such a good job of solving our unemployment and debt crises.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote