Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Is this a bad idea to try?

We have a Splendide w/d. It is experiencing a fault during drying that the phone service people say is due to a clog in the rubber venting tube that runs from the back of the drum to the silver venting hose that goes to the outside. So, in order to fix it, the drum has to be removed. This is not something we are prepared to do so I want to take our portable air compressor and run the hose to the drum vent and see if I can blow it out. Am I likely to blow up the silver venting hose or cause more problems? Should I just try and find a mobile repair man (we are full-timers)? Any insight on this would help. Keep in mind, we ARE NOT HANDY. It is usually cheaper for us to call a repair service, then we save money on things we did incorrect that have to be corrected.

llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Is this a combo? Stackable? What, exactly, is the problem? Do you have a model number so I can look up the manual and see what your saying?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Blow the hose out but make some sort of adapter around the air nozle...maybe a toilet paper tube taped to the air nozle. If it doesn't work, then call the repair man.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the OP is saying the blockage is inside the dryer(?) so blowing it out would force it up inside the machine - right?

I wouldn't think the internal tube is not too long that you couldn't snake it out like a home dryer.

There are kits available (like below) at most hardware stores and Sears too...they are cheap, pretty simple and have instructions for even the most unskilled at home maintenance. Worth a try - if it doesn't work you can still call the repairman.

Name:   ProClean.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  95.6 KB

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. was thinking that too until I saw he said he had to remove the drum?? Made me wonder..
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
paz

On the Splendide combo, there is a rubber boot that connects the drum (which moves as the load tumbles or spins) to the housing of the washer. Vented air flows through the boot. For some reason, Splendide has designed the boot with a sharp bend and narrow opening that restricts the air flow and causes lint buildup.

Our rubber boot has clogged a couple of times. The lint gets pretty well packed into the boot, and the lint is sometimes wet. I doubt cleaning the boot with a brush or by blowing air into it would work. Besides, you don't want to push the lint back into the drum. I recommend removing the boot for cleaning.

The good news is you do not have to remove the drum to remove the rubber boot, unless the design of some machines is different from our 2000S Combo. I was able to remove the flexible vent hose, remove the plastic connector that is outside the metal cabinet that the hose is clamped to, and pinch the rubber boot to remove it from the drum and fish it through the hole in the metal cabinet. When you replace the boot after cleaning it, just be sure the drum and metal cabinet go into the grooves in the rubber boot properly.

There should be access to the back of the machine through an adjacent closet. If not, you will have to remove the machine. Even if you do have access, you will probably still have to slide the washer forward a bit so you room to work in back.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. It is a combo w/d (2100XC model). It's sounding like a repairman job, but we may tinker a bit more. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. It is a combo w/d (2100XC model). It's sounding like a repairman job, but we may tinker a bit more. I'll keep you posted.
Hey....good luck finding a mobile repairman. We've been on the road for over 18mo. and I have yet to find an RV guy who will touch one of these things and the "appliance" guys just shrug their shoulders and say "bring-in-the-machine". To be fair, there was an RV guy in Vegas who offered to look at it, but wanted a min. of 1hr of his time at $125 p/hr &'suggested that whatever he found would likely run around 3-4hrs of additional work ( in other words " go away" I can't be bothered with those things).

The only thing wrong with ours is the "selector" switch, but I can't for the life of me figure-out how to get into the control electronics. The machine seems to be designed and engineered to make access to the control panel only possible from the back....which is of course a giant project for our unit. The other "cool thing" is the fault codes are a series of multiple flashing lights....apparently you are supposed to turn the selector dial to reset, press the on-off button, stand on your left foot, count to twenty & then count the number of flashes devised by the square root of pie....then phone Splendide where the service rep will promised to phone you back on his next coffee break. In addition, no one seems to stock parts for these things.

Anyway, we've pretty much given-up trying to get ours repaired, but I do enjoy phoning various repair guys ( RV & Appliance) in towns & cities we visit on the off chance that someone will agree to fix what, for us, is a space consuming piece of deadweight.....that never worked all that great before it got sick! If I could figure-out how to get the thing outta the MH without busting my back and dismantling the RV, it would be long gone.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

My experience with the Splendid People is exceptional. I had a preblem where the new drier just quit. I called Splendid and explained that I was very comfortable in removing the drier and upon his instructions removed the back to look at what we suspected was the source. When it was discovered that was the problem he Fed Ex the new chord and "filter" ( I called it a fuse) to me and in less than 30 min it was good as it was supposed to be New. Not many service techs would walk you thru that and I appreciated it so as not to have to take it out to a Splendid repair center.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I saw a picture somewhere that showed a cardboard cover for the opening of the wd. The cover was taped in place and had a hole in the middle. They used a leaf blower to get enough volume to clean it out.

The following is something I keep for reference: I cannot recall the OP.

Procedures for cleaning out the lint from the washer/dryer:

"they eliminated the lint screen in the 2100 with a design feature that catches the lint in water and flushes it down the drain. Nice idea, but not quite perfect in results."

THE PROBLEM: With use the lint eventually sticks inside and restricts, then plugs the air outlet, making the dryer useless." If you have a lint screen, you should be OK. If not, you might want to try the process. For the 2100XC, cycle 11 is "silk", which adds A LOT of water to the drum. Cycle 2 is "heavy duty". You'd have to check for comparable cycles on an older unit.

Clearing lint from Splendide’s Interior Duct
1. Run the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11.
2. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button.
3. Next, move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 and press the start button once (do not hold).
4. Let it run through that complete cycle.
5. Do this twice.

If in frequent use, do this once each month to avoid buildup.
If the above treatment fails, try it again, adding a cup of white vinegar to break down the deposited soap and fabric softener.

FALL BACK PROCEDURE IF THE ABOVE PROCEDURE FAILS

1. Pull the unit out and remove flexible exhaust duct.
2. Pick out as much lint as you can from the air outlet on the back of the dryer.
3. Put a garden hose in the outlet and blow the blockage into the washer.
4. Run the washer on a short cycle. The blockage breaks up and goes out the drain.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
YC1 -- Thank you, thank you, thank you. the water trick worked. i will now do this at least once a month to keep it running. The air hose did not work so I had scheduled a repairman. I tried your suggestion and it worked so I cancelled the repairman and am on my way to catching up with my laundry.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat View Post
YC1 -- Thank you, thank you, thank you. the water trick worked. i will now do this at least once a month to keep it running. The air hose did not work so I had scheduled a repairman. I tried your suggestion and it worked so I cancelled the repairman and am on my way to catching up with my laundry.

I am glad to hear it worked. I cannot take credit for this. I saved it about a year ago thinking I would probably need it for myself or others.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote