Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #1

Is this shameful or what?

Read the entire New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/bu...desh.html?_r=0
I guess it's not enough to make obscene profits from these poor people in this poor country, these US companies will not even help the victims with medical assistance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If a U.S. corporation were making something sold to India, do you think the company in India should send money to said corporation had an explosion and a lot of workers were hurt and killed? just saying.........

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, Legally the customers have no obligation to support the workers when the factory blows up or falls down.

Morally: Companies like Sears, Wal-Mart and the others listed (I do not recall the entire list) DO have an obligation to make sure the companies they purchase from are treating their workers properly.

Clearly they have failed in this.

So yes, it is shamefull.

What is more shamefull is that WE THE PEOPLE, given choices, still shop wal-mart.

Since my wife (A loyal Wal-marter) has passed. Well, I do go to Wall-mart for some stuff because given my lifestlye there is not always a choice (Meds for example. Wal-mart is one of the very few that covers everywhere I park and the only one that lists most of what I take in it's formulary).

But I have not bought 10% of my groceries there this summer, in fact, I suspect less than 5%. Wife it was about 50.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, this may stir some people up, but;
My DGF thinks there's value in shopping at Walmart for those on a budget (or whatever). I call Walmart the "evil empire" and will not shop there on my own accord. Money speaks the loudest and the people like me that won't give them our hard earned cash caused Walmart to listen and changed some of it's ways. On the other hand...

I'd read a book years ago detailing the US companies that did business with nazi Germany during WWII, such as Standard Oil, etc. Money talks, words walks. What are ya really gonna do? Just saying
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Supply and demand. If we did no buy this stuff..........
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
That is a simplistic answer, and quite accurate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I agree

same with war, if EVERYONE fighting (both sides) ALL put their weapons on the ground, what would 'they' do ...
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
So . . . . how much assistance will you send?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
That's the only reason the companies are there so they don't have liability, don't have to pay American wages or taxes, can pollute as much as they want. Why should this be a surprise.

Did you know the Walmart family has as much wealth as the lower 40% of the American population, now that's a crime. Also most of their employees qualify for food stamps and we are paying for them too.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #10

Hard to make decisions on what you read in the NY Times. (Don't get me wrong, I think the NY Times is a great paper.) But NY Times business is to sell you a paper and sell ads.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Walmart is a business, it is not a crime to make a profit.

Consider: Walmart provides 1.4 million U.S. jobs, and employ's a full 1% of the total work force.
The average Walmart employee makes $11.75 an hour. That's $20,744 per year. Poverty level is $22K. (The national average retail employees wage is only $12/hour.) On the other hand, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.

Walmart offers benefits to some of its employees, as well as store discounts and profit-sharing plans. Walmart currently pays a lot of taxes. Last year, for example, the company paid $7 billion in taxes.

You chose to do business with them or not.

Ray: I certainly agree these companies ethically bear a responsibility to those suppliers families.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
WDE

A different perspective

As I stood and watched a small child squat and assembly gadgets in a Morradobod (sp) India factory, I expressed my horror to my agent and host. To which he turned to me and ask a question I was embarrassed to have been asked. "Who do you think you are to impose your values on a group of people that you have absolutely nothing in common with. The children in that family work so the family can eat. This is not your America." I never purchased another item from that company, however I have never forgotten that fair question. If you could personally see how very different the living conditions are (the smell was beyond words), the quality of the water, the meager amounts of food, etc you might just have a different perspective. I still don't like the idea of a 5 year old working like that. I am more haunted by the living conditions. We Americans are a blessed people.
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

I agree WDE. I have a grandson who whines about having to work to support himself(he wants to be a professional gamer) now that he graduated from high school. He never comes to see me now, because I'm always telling him he should work to develop a strong work ethic, which will greatly benefit him as he obtains better jobs; and that itself, is a self-fulfilling strategy.
We U.S.A. citizens as a whole are ignorant about the rest of the world's living conditions and an individual's longevity.