Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #127

"I guess that the 4 manufacturing plants I've helped close down over the years and move to China mean nothing then?"

"Henry Ford and others at the turn of the century were concerned that there would be a shortage of subservient workers for their factories. "

"Teachers are among the lowest paid professions in the country."

"Walmart banks on the brainwashing that started when they undercut every other store when they started out, but today, the quality in many products is terrible, and the discount isn't as great, but they know most will not question it."

and I see a laudatory comment about Marx's manifesto, too. These are all very much in line with the 'evil' Walmart ethos and "people's republic" sort of thing. History has examples of where that sort of thinking and value system went and the tragedies it created. But it appears that some will never learn.

it is interesting that these comments seem correlated with those who only see the demise of the United States, too.

The facts aren't quite in line with that view, however. Yes, there is change and that means some factories and other businesses close. There are even things that aren't quite right and those change over time, too.

but what about reality?

Have you looked at the gross manufacturing output by country? China has much less than half the manufacturing output of the U.S.

Have you seen that map where states in the U.S. were labeled with countries that had a similar GPD as that state? (several states rank in the top ten on a worldwide comparison basis)

I think someone needs to look at some of the recent studies about teacher salaries as well. This really gets lopsided when pensions and benefits are considered.

As for WalMart as an employer: have you ever wondered why they get thousands of applications for employment when they open up a new store?

As for the cheap and shoddy goods: I've got a lot of daily living stuff from my parents and grandparents to compare and contrast and all I can see is that I can get a lot better stuff at prices that were unthinkable not so long ago.

I guess what really worries me is the hate. It is one thing to have an opinion but comments like those quoted above seem to me to be awash in a sea of hate, hate that is so entrenched that reality is twisted to support and rationalize it. That sort of thing destroys.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thats cause Quiznos sux
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I didn't see anyone bashing Bill Gates, or Microsoft
Even though I'm using it now, I have no use for Bill Gates and Microsoft. My next computer may just have to be an Apple, which to a certain degree isn't much better.
with the current state of affairs in this country, as you say I'm not getting my blood pressure up over it but I will do what I can to support the U.S.A. and not some foreign despot and his cronies or try not to feed the needs of the Greedy in this country either.
One thing that really annoys me now days is how you can now drop a $20. bill like it was a $5. bill yesterday?
think about it......... Inflation?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
"I guess that the 4 manufacturing plants I've helped close down over the years and move to China mean nothing then?"

"Henry Ford and others at the turn of the century were concerned that there would be a shortage of subservient workers for their factories. "

"Teachers are among the lowest paid professions in the country."

"Walmart banks on the brainwashing that started when they undercut every other store when they started out, but today, the quality in many products is terrible, and the discount isn't as great, but they know most will not question it."

and I see a laudatory comment about Marx's manifesto, too. These are all very much in line with the 'evil' Walmart ethos and "people's republic" sort of thing. History has examples of where that sort of thinking and value system went and the tragedies it created. But it appears that some will never learn.

it is interesting that these comments seem correlated with those who only see the demise of the United States, too.

The facts aren't quite in line with that view, however. Yes, there is change and that means some factories and other businesses close. There are even things that aren't quite right and those change over time, too.

but what about reality?

Have you looked at the gross manufacturing output by country? China has much less than half the manufacturing output of the U.S.

Have you seen that map where states in the U.S. were labeled with countries that had a similar GPD as that state? (several states rank in the top ten on a worldwide comparison basis)

I think someone needs to look at some of the recent studies about teacher salaries as well. This really gets lopsided when pensions and benefits are considered.

As for WalMart as an employer: have you ever wondered why they get thousands of applications for employment when they open up a new store?

As for the cheap and shoddy goods: I've got a lot of daily living stuff from my parents and grandparents to compare and contrast and all I can see is that I can get a lot better stuff at prices that were unthinkable not so long ago.

I guess what really worries me is the hate. It is one thing to have an opinion but comments like those quoted above seem to me to be awash in a sea of hate, hate that is so entrenched that reality is twisted to support and rationalize it. That sort of thing destroys.

You took random quotes from very different people, who all have a very different perspective on this, then lump them all together as being of the same mindset. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The last quote was mine, and it has nothing to do with hate. You have no idea what my thoughts are on this by snipping one quote. I absolutely have EVERY reason to believe that walmart HAS grown and banked on people mindlessly coming to their stores, even though they no longer are THAT cheap (don't believe me, do a quick google search - you will see tons of news articles that support this). Most all retailers now sell product within cents of each other on the price tag. But most go to walmart because they still believe that will be the best bargain, when in many cases, it is not. It might have been when they first started, and chose to have very slim profit margins to make a big name for themselves, but now it is not really the case.

If more people would do more research before buying the economy IMO would get better and not just one retailer would be monopolizing the rest. So no, it is not walmart's fault, it is the consumers fault. When so many people continue to shop walmart without any question whatsoever, our number of choices as a consumer gets much slimmer, and I don't like the idea of that at all. And overall product quality HAS suffered from walmart and the way they set pricing with distributors. This doesn't just affect the quality of walmart items, it affects it EVERYWHERE as in order to meet these demands some of the best products we have grown to love in america have to cut quality drastically to be able to keep up. Losing a walmart account is death for these companies, and they are cutting quality and making less just to keep up (for those of you who say who cares if they are not making as much money - making money is the cornerstone to business in america. Trust me, a world where companies barely turn a profit WILL affect you big time in the lack of quality - even moreso than you see now - of what you are buying) . Most of the argument FOR walmart's business practices center around "creating more jobs". I think the economy will be more competitive and more well balanced if more jobs are created elsewhere, not just as the result of one retailer. There is GOOD reason why no one likes utility companies being a monopoly and no other choices...same with walmart. I can't imagine why americans wouldn't mind if the trend we are seeing continues that we end up with one big box retailer from which to shop. So what if there are smaller stores in the parking lot near walmart doing well - there is only but so much space around the walmart store. I'd like to see a country where not only the small stores clinging to walmart's coat tails can also survive. The key is in each and everyone of us as consumers, but based on some of the posts on this thread, we are headed down a path of walmart becoming a monopoly in the realm of dept stores. Competitive companies with good prices are not able to succeed as many shoppers will not perform some analysis of their own as to what is a good buy and what is not. Far too many people readily take the path of least resistance.

Whomever wants to applaud that, more power to ya. I will never applaud it.

And again, it's not walmart's fault, it is the fault of two big issues in america - greed and laziness. Walmart is simply a product of greed; they banked on it, and won,and they bank on lazy customers who don't want to get out there and look for companies with better prices and far more scrupulus operating principles.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I totally agree. It's very disheartening.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Walmart isn't ruining anything, its the people who shop there who are ruining the status quo. If people didn't shop there the Walmarts would close one by one by one.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Walmart isn't ruining anything, its the people who shop there who are ruining the status quo. If people didn't shop there the Walmarts would close one by one by one.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
And again, it's not walmart's fault, it is the fault of two big issues in america - greed and laziness. Walmart is simply a product of greed; they banked on it, and won,and they bank on lazy customers who don't want to get out there and look for companies with better prices and far more scrupulus operating principles
Ditto that!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #135

god know I am doing my part to close them up.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #136

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
god know I am doing my part to close them up.

Now thats real smart if you close them up then unemployment goes up and no one will hire them cause most Mom and Pop stores can't afford minimum wages.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Now thats real smart if you close them up then unemployment goes up and no one will hire them cause most Mom and Pop stores can't afford minimum wages.
Why can't the Mom & Pop afford minimum wage?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #138

Exclamation We are our own worst enemy

We complain about Walmart but we shop there. We complain about the loss of jobs in America but we buy American flags made in China. We complain about our government but we don't exercise our right to vote. I don't see the problem. Maybe it's in the mirror but we refuse to look.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #139
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
I shop at my locally owned ACE franchise first before I go to the big orange or blue box. I haven’t entered you-know-who’s stores in decades.

Years ago I learned that Sam’s descendants were the major supporters of the movement to end “public”, tax funded K-12 education. Why would they want to do that? Well.. “if you can keep ‘em stupid they are much easier to control” - a statement I remember hearing in Mississippi over 30 years ago. An ignorant population is a MUCH easier customer base to sell your “bill-of-goods” to, rather than one that reads, looks up information, thinks and evaluates options.

The next task – get the U.S. worker to compete with the Chinese worker and accept $4,000/year income. Don’t believe me? Just hide and watch.
Bingo!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
To My Knees

Quote:

I guess what really worries me is the hate. It is one thing to have an opinion but comments like those quoted above seem to me to be awash in a sea of hate, hate that is so entrenched that reality is twisted to support and rationalize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I totally agree. It's very disheartening.
Thanks, you two. Keep restoring my faith in humanity

I'm up to my knees in Xenophobia, now drawing psychosocial comparisons to famous eras in 20th Century world history. 'Trace it back to a vicious subset of media that tends to cite itself as a credible source, and a virulent anonymous internet network. No socioeconomic or educational strata seem immune from catching this peculiar affliction.
Closed Thread