Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #197
Senior Member
 
DBOL's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 457
But I have to ask why were all these mortgages written,,, the banks lured them in with incentives, they knew that most couldn't pay but they still wrote them.
Bottom line was it was all about money and how much can we make.
As far as I was concerned there should have never ever been one dime of taxpayer monies to bail any of the banks and investment firms out.... You want to talk about a Good Ole Boys club ? Then they turned around and gave themselves bonuses They should have all been left to faiI .

I think you forgot who insisted that they the Financial Institution give all these Home loan's out even at 100% with nothing down cause they wanted all to have there own homes even when they the borrower couldn't afford it,do you now recall 2006 Elections?,and to stay own topic,Wal Mart is not at fault,have you remembered yet who was in charge of Congress,Hint,Hint! I dont think they where lured!
__________________

__________________
DBOL is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #198
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canton, Tx 75103
Posts: 97
Hey, will someone look at the "Trillions of tax dollars our Government is giving away to countries that don't even need it? As well as cooperating in a covert way with the so called enemies our American Solders? Our own Government is the one stiring the pot. What about a pipe line from Canada to the U.S.A.? People hurting in this country, but Uncle Sam giving your tax dollars away helping set up factories out of country. How about our Military items being built with tax dollars in other countries? Even countries that hate Americans? WalMart is such a small thing on the totem pole compared to what Uncle Sam is doing to us!! Think about it!!
__________________

__________________
wb6epp is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #199
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
With regards to the bailouts, it's anti-capitalistic. The in a purely capitalist system, greatest victory a company can win is to put their competitors out of business. This works to everyone's benefit, over the long haul. Like forest fires are an integral and important part of natures plan to revitalize the ecosystem, so it is with business. If I were in charge of Ford, I'd have been really PO'd about the government bailout of my chief domestic competitor.

From the ashes of a failed GM would have risen new startups with new ideas and innovations. The cream of the GM crop would have migrated over to other companies, Tesla for instance, to give them an infusion of experience and know-how and bring new exciting products to market.

By bailing out these businesses that otherwise would have failed, our government has sandbagged the whole process. Now, its business as usual, again doomed to fail because nothing has changed.

The free market works well and is a self leveling, self correcting system, as long as it is left alone. Government's role is to make sure the playing field remains level, everyone plays by the rules, and otherwise get out of the way.

For our government to stick its hand in the corner pocket to keep GM's (and the UAW's) 8 ball from falling was a short term benefit for a few at the long term cost of everyone. It's not how things should have played out.
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Hey, will someone look at the "Trillions of tax dollars our Government is giving away to countries that don't even need it? As well as cooperating in a covert way with the so called enemies our American Solders? Our own Government is the one stiring the pot. What about a pipe line from Canada to the U.S.A.? People hurting in this country, but Uncle Sam giving your tax dollars away helping set up factories out of country. How about our Military items being built with tax dollars in other countries? Even countries that hate Americans? WalMart is such a small thing on the totem pole compared to what Uncle Sam is doing to us!! Think about it!!
It's the military industrial complex, big bucks, big lobby. Won't change unless we make it change.
__________________
henderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #201
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
With regards to the bailouts, it's anti-capitalistic. The in a purely capitalist system, greatest victory a company can win is to put their competitors out of business. This works to everyone's benefit, over the long haul. Like forest fires are an integral and important part of natures plan to revitalize the ecosystem, so it is with business. If I were in charge of Ford, I'd have been really PO'd about the government bailout of my chief domestic competitor.

From the ashes of a failed GM would have risen new startups with new ideas and innovations. The cream of the GM crop would have migrated over to other companies, Tesla for instance, to give them an infusion of experience and know-how and bring new exciting products to market.

By bailing out these businesses that otherwise would have failed, our government has sandbagged the whole process. Now, its business as usual, again doomed to fail because nothing has changed.

The free market works well and is a self leveling, self correcting system, as long as it is left alone. Government's role is to make sure the playing field remains level, everyone plays by the rules, and otherwise get out of the way.

For our government to stick its hand in the corner pocket to keep GM's (and the UAW's) 8 ball from falling was a short term benefit for a few at the long term cost of everyone. It's not how things should have played out.
How about the bailout of the financial system? Let them all fail, banks, auto companies? That's what happened in the great depression, that worked out pretty well, after WWII put everyone to work.
__________________
henderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #202
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
How about the bailout of the financial system? Let them all fail, banks, auto companies? That's what happened in the great depression, that worked out pretty well, after WWII put everyone to work.
I didn't say let them ALL fail, you did. I said let the failing ones fail.
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I didn't say let them ALL fail, you did. I said let the failing ones fail.
Well that's 2 of the big 3 automakers. How many banks would have survived without the bailout? We bailed out everything from local banks to the big investment banks, then there is AIG who we bailed out which kept other banks from going under. I'm not saying I liked it I'm saying letting the capitalist system run its due course might have done damage that would take decades to overcome. What do you think?
__________________
henderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #204
Senior Member
 
JadedDancer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
I am a retired CPA. As such, I have studied the value of a capitalist system. It is the single most productive system that mankind has ever come up with. However, it is also the single most wasteful system devised. It is wasteful of anything that it uses; both resources and people. It must be regulated so that there is the greatest good for the greatest number (the many). The problem we Americans have is in balancing the need for regulation verses the need for innovation and growth. Without balance, we all suffer from excesses.
Agreed.

As I have said before on this thread, America's downfall is greed and the "I want it now" mentality. And it is going to get worse before better. And that isn't me being a debbie downer, it's just what is right in front of us and pretty obvious.
__________________
JadedDancer is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #205
Senior Member
 
JadedDancer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
If you "regulate," is it still capitalism?
I kind of got the feeling that he meant "regulate" as in everyone regulating themselves and seeking some balance...something that is a big failure here in america with most people and companies.
__________________
JadedDancer is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #206
Senior Member
 
JadedDancer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
They win customers and sales of course. A lot of the opposition to Walmart is irrational. There are big chain and box store alternatives to every department in Walmart so it's not that Walmart doesn't have completion and that people don't have an alternative. In fact, as some members have mention, the prices for some items are higher at Walmart. What Walmart does offer, that no other store does, is one-stop-shopping and at prices that virtually all can afford.

Arguments, such as, Walmart killed the mon an pop stores, squeeze suppliers, abuse their employees, ruin neighborhoods, being a cooperate bully, etc. are a smoke screen by a segment of the population with an agenda. I suspect that a lot of this bluster would soon disappear if Walmart was to go union.

The only bad shopping experience I've had a Walmart is it gets too crowded.
Perhaps you should do more research on how Walmart has 'squeezed' suppliers to the point that most of the brands and products we have loved in America are getting so cheap to the point they are not even worth buying. And yes, THEY ARE a corporate bully.

Walmart today is nothing like what Sam Walton touted back in the day. Walmart isn't to blame for all that is wrong with America, but they are certainly a product of what we are becoming in this society.
__________________
JadedDancer is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #207
Senior Member
 
traveler of california's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,048
Ramblin, You nailed it, great post (#199).

Nick
__________________
traveler of california is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #208
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Ford Takes $5.9B Gov't Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
If I were in charge of Ford, I'd have been really PO'd about the government bailout of my chief domestic competitor.
Ford Takes $5.9 Billion Government Loan
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #209
Senior Member
 
MRBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 468
Here is how Wal-Mart works:

They stock a brand named product made in the USA and have another made overseas for them to mimic the USA brand labeled Wal-Mart brand. Their brand is .30 cents cheaper. They know people like the brand name product so they will watch how many brand name products are sold compared to their brand. When their product reaches 75% sales of the brand name they drop the brand name and there goes thousands of USA jobs.

Sure, you got it .30 cents cheaper but now there are a lot of good people out of work which makes the economy go down. It doesn't take long as we have all seen to lose hundreds of thousands of jobs here in the USA.

We the people have the power to change things but we are too cheap and lazy. If no one bought gas from Exxon or Mobile for just 1 month the price of gas would drop a buck a gallon but no one will do it. They are now setting us up for $5 a gal. gas and we just sit and take it.

You can blame anyone you want but as long as we the people don't do anything about it the prices will go up, the economy will go down and our kids and grand kids will pay the price for our indifference.
__________________
MRBB is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #210
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
what I want to know is, once we all are on welfare, who they going to tax? come to think of it, they will tax everyone on welfare. that's obvious right?? do you, the gov, take food stamps or must we sell them on the black market to get money to pay our taxes??
__________________

__________________
golfpro is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camp Club merging w/ Passport America EDALLSAILS iRV2.com General Discussion 3 12-03-2011 07:02 PM
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT AMERICA? apackof2 Just Conversation 12 05-16-2007 12:18 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.