Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #239

I agree with the success of Walmat does not have anything to do with WALMAT PARKING. Walmart does a great service to those RV'ers that use their parking lots while traveling, PLUS the value Walmart brings to those of us who shop helps us get along in today's times.
JimB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you all want to discuss the merits of Walmarts management and founding dates start another thread about it, it really does not relate to Walmart parking.
This thread is titled: Is WalMart killing America, not WM parking.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #241
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I agree with the success of Walmat does not have anything to do with WALMAT PARKING. Walmart does a great service to those RV'ers that use their parking lots while traveling, PLUS the value Walmart brings to those of us who shop helps us get along in today's times.
JimB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
This thread is titled: Is WalMart killing America, not WM parking.

You all got me, some days it does not pay to get out of bed!
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #242
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you all want to discuss the merits of Walmarts management and founding dates start another thread about it, it really does not relate to Walmart parking.

It's been brought to my attention that I was very mistaken when I posted the above, I was in fact in the wrong thread when I posted this, please carry on and accept my apologizes
It takes a big man to admit to his mistakes. I too have a hard time keeping track of all the Walmart threads. Walmart should be a sponsor.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Like the loss of farming jobs due to mechanization, industrial jobs have been decreasing since the turn of the last century due to increased productivity more then the shipping overseas of jobs. Before anyone starts in on how we should Force people to buy American only and pay everyone a living wage I would recommend you take a beginner class in basic economics and see how foolish that to be. Unless you have unlimited resources you must have supply and demand which is the only way to equally share limited resources. In the 1910 census I had a relative who was a saddle maker, in the 1920 census he was now a shoe maker - things change and so shall we.
I had relatives who were shoe makers in Maine in the 70's and 80's. Guess where those shoes are made today ?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #244

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I had relatives who were shoe makers in Maine in the 70's and 80's. Guess where those shoes are made today ?

That is my point exactly, things change, it cannot be stooped. Each immigrant group that came to America took the menial jobs until the next group arrived. Ever see longshoremen loading ships by hand anymore? Things made by machine outnumber those by hand and can easily be made anywhere the tax structure is best. Stuff changes.
Nothing is so simple to be put into talking points. Yes, we are losing the skilled jobs to machines and to other countries and we are moving to the unskilled service industry which does not pay well. We cannot move government jobs and service industry to be the new middle class by force. We need to make service industry jobs more skilled and thus paid more and if I knew how I would be driving a new RV, not a 8 yr old one. Wal-Mart is just one symptom of a ongoing change that will continue to evolve. Look what is happing to the print industry, e-readers and ipads etc are putting book printers out of business. Computers already made type setters extinct. Amazon is killing Borders books and on and on. . . .
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #245

Back at the beginning of the 20th century we had the industrial revolution which create 1000's of industries and countless millions of jobs. I believe we are just scratching the surface of the technical revolution that machine are replacing the human worker. Robots build are cars (and better), computers answer our phones then, answer your questions, we do banking at machines or on a computer, we send letters via computer vs. good ole USPS and on and on. I am afraid for the next generation, my grand children because technology is creating ways to elimanate jobs, and to produce more faster and cheaper where as the last century was inovation that created factories and jobs.

None of this has anything to do with Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart killing America!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #246

I'm very concerned about the future of America. Yes we adapt, still lead the world in innovating, but that justs goes so far in providing work for the masses. Technologies of all kinds have reduced the need for physical labor. I hear that we need to spend tons more money on teachers/education to prepare our youth for the jobs of the future. Can someone please explain what those jobs will be and just how many of our youth will want to do those jobs? We already have millions of unfilled jobs due to a lack of talent (or so I'm told). Is this due to lack of teachers or that the students don't want to do that job? Could it also be that some of these jobs are tough and the pay is just average? I always see ads for truck drivers but it is a tough life. We don't need as many bankers, insurance agents, sales people. We have too many lawyers already. We will need many more dr.'s and nursing staff as we all get older. I'm not sure how many will want to be dr.'s with all the pending changes in healthcare. I hear we have need to rebuild our infrastructure and having travelled 1,000 miles in the last three days I agree. But if we hired a million people to fix the roads this still only addresses a minor segment of the population. Even if we closed our borders to all imports and everyone bought American there would still be a significant employment problem to overcome. If we closed our borders to all migrant workers our food prices would sky rocket as we no longer have people in this country who will pick produce at an affordable wage.

I'm usually fairly opptimistic just having a weak moment.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #247

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
. Can someone please explain what those jobs will be

I'm usually fairly opptimistic just having a weak moment.
If i could do that, I would be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. But Americans will adapt. Our children and grandchildren will adapt. Yes, the mom and pop stores are gone. Pop died. Sister moved to New York. Brother moved to SanFrancisco. Mom couldn't run the store by herself. Wal Mart filled the void.

50 years ago there were no apple stores, megs malls, Home Depots, Sprint stores, etc. There are many people with good to great jobs. There are many jobs available. If you tell your self "I am a Chrysler, autoworker, in Detroit" Well, you are in trouble. If you tell yourself, I am a skilled manufacturer worker. There are good jobs, in Tennessee, Texas (Auto), Texas Georgia Seattle South Carolina Missouri (Aircraft), etc. Illinois Farm equipment, etc.
YES, there are great jobs right here in the USA. Give your kids and grandkids a hug and tell them to go find then and visit.America is changing. But it is not dying. And Wal Mart is not killing it.
I have issues with Wal MArt(pay and benefits - maybe they need a union, but then prices will rise). So on one hand I want low prices, on the other hand, i want WM employees well paid.. Its a conundrum.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
If i could do that, I would be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. But Americans will adapt. Our children and grandchildren will adapt. Yes, the mom and pop stores are gone. Pop died. Sister moved to New York. Brother moved to SanFrancisco. Mom couldn't run the store by herself. Wal Mart filled the void.

50 years ago there were no apple stores, megs malls, Home Depots, Sprint stores, etc. There are many people with good to great jobs. There are many jobs available. If you tell your self "I am a Chrysler, autoworker, in Detroit" Well, you are in trouble. If you tell yourself, I am a skilled manufacturer worker. There are good jobs, in Tennessee, Texas (Auto), Texas Georgia Seattle South Carolina Missouri (Aircraft), etc. Illinois Farm equipment, etc.
YES, there are great jobs right here in the USA. Give your kids and grandkids a hug and tell them to go find then and visit.America is changing. But it is not dying. And Wal Mart is not killing it.
I have issues with Wal MArt(pay and benefits - maybe they need a union, but then prices will rise). So on one hand I want low prices, on the other hand, i want WM employees well paid.. Its a conundrum.

Well said Boeing Guy.

I returned Vietnam Nam and was discharged in 1969. Being from south Louisiana I tried to hire on with a major oil company, but affirmative action was in place. Being a young white hand I found a job with a drilling contractor with less pay and less benefits. But worked there for 10 years and was able to gain the experience needed to get a better job than I was originally after. Better pay and benefits and retired at 52. There are many jobs in the oilfield if one is willing to work.

As for those criticizing Walmart, I wonder if the same thing was about Sears and Roebuck?? I don't think so.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #249

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In California it's not Walmart that is killing America, It is our California government. They are so business unfriendly that most companies are leaving or have left.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #250

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
we've only stayed at one Wal Mart ,it was at Forsyth,Ga.We ask before hand and they said sure and have a good nights rest.Very friendly manager
Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #251

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnny View Post
In a Southpark episode the kid's were trying to find a way to stop Walmart from taking all the business away from small businesses in their town and in the end they had to break the mirror at the back of the store to stop it. Meaning: look in the mirror if you want to know why Walmart is successful.

Adam
Amen!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #252

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
In California it's not Walmart that is killing America, It is our California government. They are so business unfriendly that most companies are leaving or have left.
You may have a point there Chuck. If Walmart was run like the state government, how long would they stay in business?
Closed Thread