Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #253

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing is killing America. The best and the brightest still want to immigrate here because of the opportunity. The main reason for the Walmart success is that the middle class we once knew up until the 90s is shrinking. The only middle class left are people with Government jobs and Government union jobs. The rest are struggling along at 30-40 thousand a year trying to raise families. Therenare many of them that can't afford to go to Walmart. The industrialization of so called third world countries are causing the loss of our good paying manufacturing jobs.

Walmart is not the cause of this, just a consequence of it. The future of the US will be to design and build premium prducts for the rest of the world to buy. Our products are now, and will continue to be the most sought after products. We just have to get our kids off their rear ends and make sure they get educations in areas that are in demand. MBA, LIBERAL ARTS, EVEN LAW DEGREES, are not the degrees that are needed. Electrical engineers, computer design, mechanical engineers, and biological as it applies to healthcare, are the careers of the future.

If everyone's goal was to make enough money so they weren't forced to Walmart, that would build the middle class again.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Nothing is killing America. The best and the brightest still want to immigrate here because of the opportunity. The main reason for the Walmart success is that the middle class we once knew up until the 90s is shrinking. The only middle class left are people with Government jobs and Government union jobs. The rest are struggling along at 30-40 thousand a year trying to raise families. Therenare many of them that can't afford to go to Walmart. The industrialization of so called third world countries are causing the loss of our good paying manufacturing jobs.

Walmart is not the cause of this, just a consequence of it. The future of the US will be to design and build premium prducts for the rest of the world to buy. Our products are now, and will continue to be the most sought after products. We just have to get our kids off their rear ends and make sure they get educations in areas that are in demand. MBA, LIBERAL ARTS, EVEN LAW DEGREES, are not the degrees that are needed. Electrical engineers, computer design, mechanical engineers, and biological as it applies to healthcare, are the careers of the future.

If everyone's goal was to make enough money so they weren't forced to Walmart, that would build the middle class again.
Amen. I couldn't say it any better. I would just add that the unemployment rate among college grads is half of the rate for the population as a whole. So, we need to encourage our young to apply themselves in areas of study that can assure their economic future.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #255

I tend to love this argument about walmart killing America. If that is true and wally world is bad for america, why do so many people shop their? If people stopped shopping there, where would they shop? Would other stores replace them and charge more money ? What drives a person to shop at walmart anyway. I dont think it is necessarily the cheap prices. I believe that walmart gives the average shopper what they want. Ease of shopping, everything under one roof and 99% of the time, decent service.

In order to do that, they must buy the cheapest products available. Makes sense. Now if people would apply the same principle in other things, like autos, there would benothing but autos like opels, small vws, 4 door datsuns, and honda civics being sold.

I never understood why everyone wants kids to get a college education. Who is gonna dig the ditches, fix the plumbing, mow the yards, build houses, repair autos, clean carpets, etc, etc, etc?

So whether walmart is good or bad for america is a moot point IMO>
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #256

Davdeb1 is right about todays college grads. They stay in school and go on to their masters, get out after that, and want to RUN the company to start, not work their way up from the mail room.
How does Wal-Mart affect local economies? Two years ago a new WM opened about 2 miles from my house. Even before they opened the grocery store across the street, Wegmans (always listed in one of the top 10 companies in America to work for) changed their pricing policy from typical grocery store BOGO, buy one, get one free, and loss leader promotions to lure you into the store. Incredible the difference in how much lower their "everyday" pricing is from the largest WNY grocery store Tops Markets. Shop Wegmans on a Sunday morning at 9am and people are sharking parking spots to park, like at the mall at Christmas time. Besides the change in pricing philosphy, again before the new WM even opened, Wegmans remodeled the store with new displays and total new frozen food section, re-paving of the parking lot and all new landscaping of the property. So because of one new Wal-Mart, quite a few jobs, projects and money spent has benefitted the WNY area.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #257

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No is forced to buy anything at Walmart or by Walmart.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #258

Consider that that Walmart is the 18th largest public corporation in the world. It is the world's largest private employer. The 9th, 10th, and 11th richest persons in the USA are the Walton heirs who never worked a day in their lives.

When Walmart speaks supply chains tremble. Can't make a bicycle here for $40 off to China goes the factory. Walmart cares about one thing. Money. Doesn't care about employees except how to pay them as little as possible. Drive out competition the old Rockefeller way - come in with prices lower than your competition - drive them out of business - and then raise your prices when you are the only game in town. How to compete? Send your production to China. Same for Target, Home Depot, Lowes, or slowly die.

Sears, Ace Hardware, they got on the China bandwagon late. Will they make it?

Effect of all this is we have no choice now. No jobs and China junk. $5.00 for a 1lb box of 8d sinkers made in China at Lowes. Arrgh! Go to Home Depot - same. Go to local hardware store, man says we can't get American made nails anymore but we have China nails for $6.00 lb.

It is what it is. Defend Walmart if you must. But their business model combined with greed and America's shortsightedness is slowly, inevitably making China number 1. And Walmart helped make it all possible.

I challange you to find any USA made tools, appliances, clothing, furniture or even food nowdays. Sure there a few but far between.

We are competing in global economy and that means our standard of living has to go down or we are out of business.

Can you imagine Japan allowing Ford to build a plant in Japan, give them land and tax breaks, have Americans pay more for Fords so they are cheaper in Japan, and put Toyota on the ropes? I think not.

Yes we can shop anywhere. And those pesky unions. How dare they ask for better wages and working conditions. That's so 50's. They should be glad they have a job stocking shelves or mopping floors.

Walmart is not killing America - they already killed it. Our manufacturing base is gone. We traded it for cheap junk and lived high off the hog for a while.

Now it's time to pay the piper.

How any politician going to bring these jobs back with today's trade rules and Super Pacs? More importantly does Wall St really care if American's have jobs or are profits more important. I think you know the answer to that one...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #259

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldn't agree more! Until we get the manufacturing base back to what it was, the good ole USA is going down the toilet, we're in slow flush mode now!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
Consider that that Walmart is the 18th largest public corporation in the world. It is the world's largest private employer. The 9th, 10th, and 11th richest persons in the USA are the Walton heirs who never worked a day in their lives.

When Walmart speaks supply chains tremble. Can't make a bicycle here for $40 off to China goes the factory. Walmart cares about one thing. Money. Doesn't care about employees except how to pay them as little as possible. Drive out competition the old Rockefeller way - come in with prices lower than your competition - drive them out of business - and then raise your prices when you are the only game in town. How to compete? Send your production to China. Same for Target, Home Depot, Lowes, or slowly die.

Sears, Ace Hardware, they got on the China bandwagon late. Will they make it?

Effect of all this is we have no choice now. No jobs and China junk. $5.00 for a 1lb box of 8d sinkers made in China at Lowes. Arrgh! Go to Home Depot - same. Go to local hardware store, man says we can't get American made nails anymore but we have China nails for $6.00 lb.

It is what it is. Defend Walmart if you must. But their business model combined with greed and America's shortsightedness is slowly, inevitably making China number 1. And Walmart helped make it all possible.

I challange you to find any USA made tools, appliances, clothing, furniture or even food nowdays. Sure there a few but far between.

We are competing in global economy and that means our standard of living has to go down or we are out of business.

Can you imagine Japan allowing Ford to build a plant in Japan, give them land and tax breaks, have Americans pay more for Fords so they are cheaper in Japan, and put Toyota on the ropes? I think not.

Yes we can shop anywhere. And those pesky unions. How dare they ask for better wages and working conditions. That's so 50's. They should be glad they have a job stocking shelves or mopping floors.

Walmart is not killing America - they already killed it. Our manufacturing base is gone. We traded it for cheap junk and lived high off the hog for a while.

Now it's time to pay the piper.

How any politician going to bring these jobs back with today's trade rules and Super Pacs? More importantly does Wall St really care if American's have jobs or are profits more important. I think you know the answer to that one...
2X Well said. We traded our futures, our grand kids futures for cheap products. Sad....
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #261

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think we all have to look in a mirror to see who is killing business in NA. It is we who want too much too soon and too quickly who are to blame. Don't point fingers at any corporation in the world;it is just personal greed that is the root cause.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #262

LOL at least some adults are admitting that we , the people of America, caused all this.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #263

"I challange you to find any USA made tools, appliances, clothing, furniture or even food nowdays. Sure there a few but far between. "

Challenge accepted!
Over 3800 products.
Over 600 manufacturers.
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made

Todd's site is one of many.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #264

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I never shop at Walmart unless I have a gift card or I'm traveling and there is no other option. Everyone I know shops there and I don't hate them for it. I guess I just took the side of the people who created anti-Walmart documentaries on Netflix. Consumerism is what keeps the company so successful, and America is used to living in excess on the cheap, so it just works.

People say Walmart is killing all of the "mom & pop" shops. In some ways, I agree. If you are basing it on price, then yes, Walmart will almost always win. For a "mom & pop" shop to be successful, even when there is a Walmart around the corner, they have to stop trying to win customers on price. That's a losing battle. They have to deliver the best customer service imaginable and over-deliver whenever/wherever possible. People will be repeat customers if they are treated exceptionally. Just my personal 2cents.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #265

I do not shop Wal-Mart, not for political or philosophical reasons, but because I do not like the stores or the "Wal-Mart experience". I do not, however, hold either to the concept of Mom and Pop stores disappearing as being necessarily a bad thing. In today's world, the consumer decides what products sell and for how much. When I started in business, we decided what products to make, what it cost to make and sell them, and then added profit. We felt we could tell the customer what they should buy and how much they should pay. That is not the way it works today. If a Mom and Pop cannot provide what customers want, then, as sad as it is, they are going to, and should, fail.

Last week, while at an out of state campground, we needed a new drinking water hose. I ordered a premium hose from Amazon on Tuesday night at 11:00 pm with free two day delivery. I received the hose at 7:30 pm on Wednesday evening. My cost was less than if I would have had to drive the 30 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart or Camping World for the same thing. With service and prices like these, maybe Wal-Mart has more to fear than Mom and Pops.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #266

Ford Super Duty Owner
we can all complain about the wally worlds and other big box stores!!!!!
but how many jobs did the complainer ever create
when my business was up and running the most employees i ever had was 7
i did well but never came close to 250-400 jobs every big box provides
brianj
Closed Thread