Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #309
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, I have edited several posts for making personal comments and accusations. Let's keep the discussion from getting personal in nature.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
OK folks, I have edited several posts for making personal comments and accusations. Let's keep the discussion from getting personal in nature.

Thanks for your help.

Rick
Well RickO.This is a political in nature and therefor it should not be allowed on the forum.Guess it's too late to delete it,but at this juncture be locked.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #311
laj

This is not a political thread, but a financial one. I don't think it violates the rules at all as long as direct personal attacks are left out As the countries financial situation affects us all, different ways it is interesting to see different perspectives on how we got to where we are today.

Like any thread on here it can get a little heated with opposing views, but in my opinion no reason to lock it any more then any other topic. Jmo
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #312

I got here late

Didn't read all of the posts, but here's my take on WalMart.

All Americans want to maximize their incomes and minimize their expenses. WalMart has found a way to attract business by stockng their shelves with cheaper foreign goods (especially clothes) and requiring prospective vendors to minimize THEIR profits by lowering the price they charge WalMart to just get "their foot in the door" of America's #1 retailer.

This positioning by WalMart has effected the American garmet industry, tool industry, etc.

Bottom line - - Americans want to make $30.00 per hour but want to buy Uncle Harry a $12 shirt for Christmas. Only one place find a supplier of a $12 shirt and that isn't in America. IMHO
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #313

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That is right on PAPAW, If all the jobs came back like textile manufacturing, workers would have two choices. Work for a dollar and hour, or pay $50 for a shirt.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #314

Toyota and Nissan both had issues with "piston slap" this was caused by designing the engines to reduce emissions. A longer stroke and smaller bore caused a rocking in the cylinder bore. Many manufactures had this issue and it was not quality related.

The trouble with the internet is that misinformation can be passed along as gospel.

This is a subject that is personal to many. The decline in the auto industry has mirrored the decline in the economy and for many of the same reasons. Unfair competition from overseas has hurt many American industries. We are proud of the work we did. 99.99 % of us, as in any industry, worked hard. We do not want to be painted as jerks because it just wasn't true.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #315

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrkav
Toyota and Nissan both had issues with "piston slap" this was caused by designing the engines to reduce emissions. A longer stroke and smaller bore caused a rocking in the cylinder bore. Many manufactures had this issue and it was not quality related.

The trouble with the internet is that misinformation can be passed along as gospel.

This is a subject that is personal to many. The decline in the auto industry has mirrored the decline in the economy and for many of the same reasons. Unfair competition from overseas has hurt many American industries. We are proud of the work we did. 99.99 % of us, as in any industry, worked hard. We do not want to be painted as jerks because it just wasn't true.
The piston slap on the ford 2.3 4 cylinder back in the 80s and early 90s was no rumor. It severely shortened the life of the engine. I very well remember the rebuilds in our service department. It was not poor quality, it was poor information. Ford finally redesigned the engine and it became a good engine. The 2.3L of today is smooth and quiet.

I now own a 2012 Ford Focus. It has a 2.0 that is as smooth and quiet as anything I have ever owned. I made my living and savings off the sale of Fords. I have stayed loyal to the brand, but believe me, it wasn't easy.

Oh yes I forgot, to stay on topic. I'm glad that Walmart has low prices so all the unemployed/underemployed people can shop there.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #316

Just food for thought, but do the jobs WalMart (directly) provides make up for the jobs WalMart (indirectly) took away? I realize that the wages are probably not comparable, but just talking "jobs" in general here. Personally, I imagine they took away more jobs than they directly provide.

On a different note, I note that jmrkav has lots of input on Ford production, but drives a Chevy. What's up with that?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #317

I still can't believe reading this thread, and commenting too, how many people out there are convinced that Wal-Mart single handedly killed the garment industry along with many others. They are not the "original" discount department store, only smarter than the rest. As I posted earlier, they have their operating costs so fine tuned it is harder for some to compete with them. That being said, Target is doing just fine and so is K-Mart under Sears direction.
As far as auto workers etc., I think everyone knows someone that worked in an auto plant or a supplier plant somewhere along the way. Brother in law worked at Delphi plant in Lockport, NY which was once Harrison Radiator, GM company. He laughed when he went to the "Job Bank" at $38 an hour, which meant they did not have enough work for size of the work force at that time, but by union contract they could not lay people off, even for a short time such as a week or two. The job bank meant he reported to work, went to the cafeteria and slept for 8 hours and went home, exhausted I'm sure. When Delphi went bankrupt and he was forced to take an early retirement, guess who he blamed? He was after all just following the union contract. In addition, I don't nor do I think anyone else blames the workers doing the job on the plant floor for what happened to our auto industry. But many of us Do blame the union leadership at the top levels, who were old school, and did not see that we now have a world economy. To work together and become partners with the companies instead of adversarys.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #318

Well guys it's always the other guys fault.Right??. How about back what your asking for??. Go belly up to the counter wallet in hand and be willing to PAY for products made here.See ya got no one to blame but yourself................. Opps!!!. There goes all those deals you are always looking for!!. So if ya look in a mirror and reflect,that is who to blame. Oh,lets not talk about the car you toad behind the RV. It just gets even more embarrassing..........

Bottom line,talk is cheap!!!.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #319

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrkav View Post
Or it could be that too much wealth became concentrated in too few families. The last century provided many examples of that. There are ways to avoid estate taxes and the wealthy know them all.
How much wealth is too much?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I still can't believe reading this thread, and commenting too, how many people out there are convinced that Wal-Mart single handedly killed the garment industry along with many others. They are not the "original" discount department store, only smarter than the rest. As I posted earlier, they have their operating costs so fine tuned it is harder for some to compete with them. That being said, Target is doing just fine and so is K-Mart under Sears direction.
As far as auto workers etc., I think everyone knows someone that worked in an auto plant or a supplier plant somewhere along the way. Brother in law worked at Delphi plant in Lockport, NY which was once Harrison Radiator, GM company. He laughed when he went to the "Job Bank" at $38 an hour, which meant they did not have enough work for size of the work force at that time, but by union contract they could not lay people off, even for a short time such as a week or two. The job bank meant he reported to work, went to the cafeteria and slept for 8 hours and went home, exhausted I'm sure. When Delphi went bankrupt and he was forced to take an early retirement, guess who he blamed? He was after all just following the union contract. In addition, I don't nor do I think anyone else blames the workers doing the job on the plant floor for what happened to our auto industry. But many of us Do blame the union leadership at the top levels, who were old school, and did not see that we now have a world economy. To work together and become partners with the companies instead of adversarys.

This may become my second career. "Brother-in-law" did not make $38 an hour. No auto worker makes that much . That was what was posted through conservative websites to drum up hatred for working people of this country. The much maligned Jobs Bank was a temporary method designed to prevent lay offs of the younger members of the workforce. The ones with families and kids to feed. The concept was to hold a certain number (it was not unlimeted) of the workers until retirements or relocations could be made. Those workers that were in the Jobs Bank worked in the community or in the plant doing extra work. We had them in our plant. Ding work in the state parks building things. Worked in hospitals and other volunteer jobs. My wife was in the Jobs Bank for a few months. She started a recycling project that bears fruit at the plant today and is saving Gm a ton of money.

What sunk the Jobs Bank was the lack of movement in jobs. Retirees began to get cold feet. As the economy sank there became no jobs for the young workers to move to. The auto industry began to shrink quite awhile before the rest of the economy due to the sudden rise in fuel prices pre 2008.

It's interesting to note that everyones God, Toyota had a similar program when the recession hit at their plant in San Antonio that built the Tundra. The workers came in every day to a plant that was shut down due to the large trucks coming to a screeching halt. Full pay and benefits.

I do agree that advisarys are not the position any industy should be in today. But that can not be an excuse to destroy the middle class in this country.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
How much wealth is too much?
Well the easy answer is found in the excesses of the last century. Or in many countries in todays world.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrkav View Post
Well the easy answer is found in the excesses of the last century. Or in many countries in todays world.
And whose job is it to determine exactly how much wealth an individual or family is allowed to accumulate?

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Closed Thread