Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #323

Just to throw one hot potatoe on top of another........

Blaming Wally World for imported goods ruining an economy is no different than blaming the gun for shooting someone.

Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people.

Walmart (or any other importer) didn't kill the economy, millions of people buying the offshore stuff did.

I had some fool tell me "When you lose your job you can eat that imported car of yours." (I drive a Benz SUV) the other day.

He wasn't very happy to learn his Ford p/u was built in Michigan, but with only 55% North American made parts while my Benz was built in Alabama with 62% North American content....... Open mouth, change feet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #324
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, how dumb is this? I want to buy a weather station to mount on the MH roof. My local Walmart has it at $99.00. Walmart.com has a special price of $54.95 on the exact same item with "free shipping to store for pickup". So I print the webpage and take it in to my local Wallyworld, which has the item in stock. The manager tells me she is not allowed to honor the internet price and that I have to order it online and get it shipped to the store. Am I missing something or is this policy just plain stupid?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
And whose job is it to determine exactly how much wealth an individual or family is allowed to accumulate?

Rusty

Well, as in most things in society, we as a people determine that.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #326
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrkav View Post
Through our government, I assume. Right?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #327

Quote:
Or, to quote Thomas Jefferson
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Just to throw one hot potatoe on top of another........

Blaming Wally World for imported goods ruining an economy is no different than blaming the gun for shooting someone.

Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people.

Walmart (or any other importer) didn't kill the economy, millions of people buying the offshore stuff did.

I had some fool tell me "When you lose your job you can eat that imported car of yours." (I drive a Benz SUV) the other day.

He wasn't very happy to learn his Ford p/u was built in Michigan, but with only 55% North American made parts while my Benz was built in Alabama with 62% North American content....... Open mouth, change feet.
Well, it varies a lot on new trucks. According to cars.com this years Ford F-150 is 75% American content. Last year was a low 60%. Fords before that were 90%.

There was a time when this argument was moot. Virtually all cars, trucks and their parts were made here. Too many Americans chose to ignore the fact that at one time 1 out every 6 jobs were directly tied to the auto industry. Excuses abound but that fact is undeniable.

So what your friend was saying was......Many Americans have already lost their jobs and are eating their imports.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Or, to quote Thomas Jefferson
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

Yeah, democracy is often dirty, difficult, even ugly.

Government is a out of fashion at the moment, it seems.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

Yeah, democracy is often dirty, difficult, even ugly.

Government is a out of fashion at the moment, it seems.
Well, as long as we're looking at the Constitution, let's look at the 5th Amendment, paying particular attention to the final sentence:

Quote:
Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life and limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Looks to me like that's quite a hurdle to overcome regarding seizing an individual's "excess wealth".

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #331
laj

Great point Rusty. Set and match!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #332

And then came 1913
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
.......sigh.......
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #333

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The highlighted line in the fifth amendment:

Nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

So I guess that means the drugs, cash, homes, vehicles, and other objects that the law routinely seizes and sells, ( this includes the IRS of course) is not legal?

Who would've thunk?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #334
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Several of the most recent posts are .

Political discussions are not permitted by iRV2's rules.

Let's get off of that topic.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #335

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
This like the the 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch. . .

Back to Wally World. Try and buy American clothes anywhere. I go to nice men's clothing stores, everything is from somewhere in Asia or then Caribbean. I go to REI for hiking clothes - same thing. Try buying any electronics made in USA which by the way is not a really highly skilled job as most is automated. The eastern shore (DE, VA, MD) used to be full of truck farms worked by migrants. Someone thought that they should be treated fair with better pay and something better then squaller for homes (insert sarcasm emoticon). Well the truck farms are gone and replaced with corn, wheat, and soy beans - completely automated farming with no migrants. Many on here have had businesses, any of you hire more people then you needed, pay them more then they were worth to the business, give them extra benefits that your profits could not cover, or NOT use automation to replace or increase their productivity unless forced by unions or Government. The same can be said of the loss of family farms lost to factory farms. Only some 3% now work on farms and produce much much more per acre then 90% of the population used to do. Each job created by making tractors did not make up for the loss of farm hand jobs. They are many middle class jobs that cannot be shipped off or handled by unskilled immigrants and are in demand.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #336
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A warning was posted about political comments were not permitted by iRV2's rules yet they continued.

Fair warning.

Closed Thread