Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #351

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
I don't know if you were being personal, but I fought for your right to express your opinion, and yes, I admit it. I sucked off the government when I was young (and not so young), and still do it. And a lot of sucking was done. I sucked 20 years of pay checks, a bachelor and masters degree, a military retirement, and the skills to get an excellent job. I also got 2 free one-year "vacations" to Viet Nam. So yes, I am part of the nasty, unwashed, despicable 47% that sucks off the government. Problem is, I paid $27,000 in federal taxes last year, so I am not sure which way the suction was going.
And no, Douglas Aircraft is not gone. It was absorbed by McDonnell, and McDonnell-Douglas was aborbed by Boeing. Neither is GE gone. We buy their engines every day. As for Air Bus. They are not moving to Alabama, they are building a plant in Alabama. Not so good for Boeing, but good for Alabama and America. If Boeing can't compete, my paycheck will once again change colors. Air Bus will provide good paying jobs for Alabamians. Last I looked, Alabama was in the U S of A. The world is changing.

Anyone who really misses 1950, should go back. Put away your computer, microwave, Winnebago, cell phone, post it notes, iPad, iPod, DVD player, etc, and go back. Me, I love 2012. 2013 will be better. Most of us have adapted. Our children/grandchildren and future generations will adapt. Since this is a Wal Mart killing thread. Once again I should point out that America is not dying. Contrary to my dad's belief, Rock and Roll didn't kill it, neither will Wal Mart. Good luck to your future.
Yes!!!, X2
Actually, there is a great thing the government does well, offer you opportunities to get a good education, and prepare you for life. Just join the armed forces, and take advantage of EVERY program they let you. I say that is our tax dollars at work efficiently.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #352

I don't know, I look at the vacant land where the old Douglas Aircraft factory had 28,000 employees and now I see only dirt. Yeah I know Boieng bought what was McDonnell Douglas but so what is your point? All those jobs are gone and they are never coming back.

Exactly how is killing off the last aircraft manufacturer and sending the profits to France good for America?

I too, can feel smug in the knowledge that I have already made my fortunes and retire and to hell with America. Companies can't compete to hell with 'em - buy Chinese. Those damn unions, to hell with 'em. American cars - junk - I love my Hyundai.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #353
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a note on posting.

All members are entitled to post their opinions, views, etc. as long as the posts conform to iRV2's rules.

A post becomes personal when a reply contains the word "you". Then the reply can easily viewed as attacking or flaming another member.

It's always best to post your thoughts without directing them at another member.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #354

For France Safran owns air bus I work for them they employ 2000 in dfw
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
I don't know, I look at the vacant land where the old Douglas Aircraft factory had 28,000 employees and now I see only dirt. Yeah I know Boieng bought what was McDonnell Douglas but so what is your point? All those jobs are gone and they are never coming back.

Exactly how is killing off the last aircraft manufacturer and sending the profits to France good for America?

I too, can feel smug in the knowledge that I have already made my fortunes and retire and to hell with America. Companies can't compete to hell with 'em - buy Chinese. Those damn unions, to hell with 'em. American cars - junk - I love my Hyundai.
I worked for Grumman for 32 years.....unions tried and tried to get in but never were successful, our employer treated the workers as family. Each and every year at Xmas we received our Xmas bonus and a Turkey and a couple of days off....throughout the year we would get a production bonus.
We didn't need a union, and we were happy....the company a few miles away from us, Republic Avation was a union shop.....it seemed like every 4 years they would go on strike for months at a time. We would always find a few of those workers at Grummans doorstep looking for work, they just say that they had enough with the unions. Finally Republic said enough and the closed the door. The A-10 Wart Hog was the last thing they built......now everything is history
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys
...in the past it didn't take much dedication/education to assemble screw A into part B. Today it takes college degrees in marketing and financing MBA's to get those high paying jobs
...days of dropping out of high school and getting a decent job, well that's LONG GONE and I for one am GLAD. It's time the US started using our potential and became a leader once again.
Don't tell that to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell or others in the computer field. I think it takes knowledge and creativeness. (not political statement)

And then the president of Grumman, at the time sold to a company in a riskier financial position (company financial rating at the time) and got a $10 m, over his usual salary, bonus.... sorry still a sore spot.

As to the sucking from the government money. In "my opinion" that should not be said of our armed forces. Whether or not they are in time of war, they earn it (actually earn more but that may get political).

Unions.... not going to touch that except to say father in-law was father was not, respect father, respected father in-law (since passed).

Sorry 'Edit'.... Wal-Mart workers can go on to other jobs and I generally do not over night in their parking lot.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #357

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I don't know if you were being personal, but I fought for your right to express your opinion, and yes, I admit it. I sucked off the government when I was young (and not so young), and still do it. And a lot of sucking was done. I sucked 20 years of pay checks, a bachelor and masters degree, a military retirement, and the skills to get an excellent job. I also got 2 free one-year "vacations" to Viet Nam. So yes, I am part of the nasty, unwashed, despicable 47% that sucks off the government. Problem is, I paid $27,000 in federal taxes last year, so I am not sure which way the suction was going.
And no, Douglas Aircraft is not gone. It was absorbed by McDonnell, and McDonnell-Douglas was aborbed by Boeing. Neither is GE gone. We buy their engines every day. As for Air Bus. They are not moving to Alabama, they are building a plant in Alabama. Not so good for Boeing, but good for Alabama and America. If Boeing can't compete, my paycheck will once again change colors. Air Bus will provide good paying jobs for Alabamians. Last I looked, Alabama was in the U S of A. The world is changing.

Anyone who really misses 1950, should go back. Put away your computer, microwave, Winnebago, cell phone, post it notes, iPad, iPod, DVD player, etc, and go back. Me, I love 2012. 2013 will be better. Most of us have adapted. Our children/grandchildren and future generations will adapt. Since this is a Wal Mart killing thread. Once again I should point out that America is not dying. Contrary to my dad's belief, Rock and Roll didn't kill it, neither will Wal Mart. Good luck to your future.
I was drafted into the army in 1963. I was not sucking from the government. The one thing the government is for is defense of the country. All military people are providing for the defense of our country. They earn every cent they get. When most of us complain about the "suckers", it is the people who will not do anything to help themselves and want the government to take care of them. It is the people with the bad backs that can't work, but can water ski and work on their cars while on Social Security disability. Before anyone says I don't know what it is like to be poor, Let me add, my father left my mother and I when I was six. We had to move into public housing. We stayed in public housing until I was a teenager. I got a job working at night and we moved out of public housing. I went to school each day until 3:15. I went to work at 4 pm and worked till midnight. I paid room and board to my mother and we were able to live in a small apartment and I bought our first car. The "suckers" thought I was stupid for working so hard and missing my high school social life. "It is not bad breaks alone that defeat man, for great men have had their bad breaks too." Abe Lincoln.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #358

Just take a trip over to walmartpeople.com and you'll see why some people just have to shop there. Perhaps they were turned away from the other stores LOL.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #359

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I was drafted into the army in 1963. I was not sucking from the government. The one thing the government is for is defense of the country. All military people are providing for the defense of our country. They earn every cent they get. When most of us complain about the "suckers", it is the people who will not do anything to help themselves and want the government to take care of them. It is the people with the bad backs that can't work, but can water ski and work on their cars while on Social Security disability. Before anyone says I don't know what it is like to be poor, Let me add, my father left my mother and I when I was six. We had to move into public housing. We stayed in public housing until I was a teenager. I got a job working at night and we moved out of public housing. I went to school each day until 3:15. I went to work at 4 pm and worked till midnight. I paid room and board to my mother and we were able to live in a small apartment and I bought our first car. The "suckers" thought I was stupid for working so hard and missing my high school social life. "It is not bad breaks alone that defeat man, for great men have had their bad breaks too." Abe Lincoln.
That is so true and accurate! The suckers are not the people who worked and Earned the benefits the govt. has to offer they are the ones in front of me at the Wal-Mart the other day that was paying with their govt provided food card that tried to buy dog food but was rejected for not being necessary essentials so she runs back and grabs several pounds of ground beef Fido will eat good!! That is who the suckers are and WE are paying for all of it. By the way to stay on topic I followed them out but could not see her vehichle because some RV's were parked in the way with slides out and gennys running
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #360

Monaco Owners Club
It is not the unions that brought the USA down, it was the unions that built the USA into the strongest country with the strongest economy in the world, until the 1980's began. Unions aren't a "thing of the past." They're a vital part of our social fabric and economic future.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #361

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not crazy about Unions because I've had bad experience with them throughout my working life. I do admit, that they are the only thing standing in the way of workers being housed in dormitories like China.

Unions did have an important part in building this country and the middle class, but they are also responsible for the sense of "entitlement" that hurt our manufacturing
And made American products so pricey. It was fine for us until Globalization happened. For unions to be effective, they will have to globalize.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #362

Winnebago Owners Club
Whatever the problem is Be it cheap imports, Union employees, Lazy employees, ( I've had my share of them) Wallmart Has what some might consider Cheap non union labor. What ever it is IT IS WORKING, People are supporting them; Just a few Hire on for one wage then someone plants a seed that they should get more wages then what they have aggrees on working for and bad things happen. Wall mart is WORKING, so WHY TRY TO FIX IT,, people like Wallmart the way it is.. If your wages are substanders LEAVE.. Just DON'T try to fix something that is not broken... Life is good..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #363

Honestly.
I think Wal-Mart is a symptom not the disease.
I can not, for the most part, buy something that I do not look it over and say they could have..... and made it a little more expensive but a lot better. But there are fewer people willing to pay a little more. Some of it is companies wanting to squeeze more profit (demanded by the share holders) out of a product but many are trying to get it to the price people want to pay.
A example was years ago when a lady walked into a natural gas appliance store (I knew the sakes man) she was commenting on how much more it was in this store than the competition. The truth came out when I asked, "How many years are you required to buy gas from them?" Answer 2. The other company had the most expensive gas.
How does it go... you can pay me now or pay me later... we are getting to the point of later in the US.
All the above is my opinion, everyone has their own.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #364

I give those who have to take a job at Walmart.....they are trying to provide some income to support a family that don't have a regular income coming in. Imagine if it was a union job!......with what they received for wages, they would have all those taxes PLUS union dues. From what I see, Walmart my not be a great company, but they provide affordable prices to a lot of people who otherwise would have to do without.
Know of a single lady who has a young child......no job, no real job skills...... for years, she finally was able to get a job at Walmart, now happy, has dignity and provides for her and her daughter
I shop at Walmart cause the people are friendly.....they try anyway.....they have a hard job lots of work with little pay.....I guess we all have been there.