Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger
Amen, TAZ,
I agree 100%. I personally appreciate everyone's views. We all have our own ideas and thoughts on who carries credibly and who we think is an idiot,... without stating so.
GWinger
True, the issue is those that may not be open to discussion or an exchange of ideas take/make it personal. If humans looked at reality instead of the perceived reality or the reality presented by someone else there may be less problems, (of course being human everyone's perception is different) the world might not appear as rose colored but actual problems could be examined versus trying to demonise the symptom thus the problem is never addressed.
The approach to solving problems is assisted by differing views, the complication/conflict arises in the determination of the solution to be used.

To early in the morning.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
It is hard to keep the personal feelings under wrap. When I started the post I was hoping to start an intellectual dialog on the changing times. There are no right or wrong answers. I have my personal opinions, beliefs and moral expectations that are my internal struggles.

I never expected this thread to generate such passion, but I appreciate everyone's views. I have gained much from those I agree with as well as those I may not see eye to eye with.

Let's not close the tread just because we may disagree.

Thank you all for your feedback.
I want to thank you for starting this thread as it is like many of the threads here at iRV2 - informative and helpful; just in a different manner.

In an age of soundbites, talking points, political correctness and repetative marketing it's actually refreshing to read real thoughts, likes and dislikes from people with a common interest - RVing.

Personally I shop at Wal-Mart on occassions but it's not my first option. I've never overnighted in their parking lot because I didn't know it was allowable/acceptable (but that's another thread ). I do think that Wal-Mart is the 800 pound gorilla in the room and while there are pros and cons I think it would take a LOT more than Wal-Mart to kill this great country.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #381
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Several times we have used the Wal-Mart parking lot for over night parking due to high wind conditions. Once in Kansas and once in Devils Lake, ND. Several other times it was a convenient stop on a long trip.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #382

Gulf Streamers Club
WalMart is not killing America, WE are killing America. We as individuals are always looking for the "best deal." We are price shoppers and that is all most of us look at; if instead we look at value then we, in most cases would by American. Not that ALL foreign goods are cheap but most of the foreign made consumer products are cheaply made. It has been proven that you can furnish your home with all American made products, imagine if we all did that, the economy would be much better of with more people working paying taxes. I am as guilty as anyone else of not value shopping but price shopping, so it is a mind set that we must all change.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
I would guess that most who work in a walmart store itself do so knowing that it is not a highly skilled position thus not demanding nor expecting $20.00 dollars an hour, On the other hand their company drivers are in a skilled position and get paid accordingly 50k for part time up to 106k plus per year for fulltime. Same with the distribution center workers, they earn competitive wages with other company's in the area union or non union.Sam Walton saw a golden opportunity and seized upon it. As far as outsourcing goes that is the government making laws and allowing it to happen.JMO
Non-Violent Walmart Protesters In Ellwood, Illinois, Arrested By Riot Police

Just saying
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #384

Indonesia Strike: Millions Of Factory Workers Walk Off The Job In Protest

So even the sweat shop workers are getting fed up
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #385

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
You're not saying anything. Huffington Post lol aka National Enquirer. Looked to me they were protesting that particular warehouse not Walmart. Have you ever been to Elwood Illinois? GO by sometime and talk to the locals and ask how much money and jobs those warehouses that walmart built brought into that county-I'll tell ya- millions of dollars and several several hundred jobs! I go to those warehouses everyday , and by looking at the parking lot there are a lot and I mean ALOT of nice late model cars and trucks sitting there. So the jobs must not be all that low paying. that video looked like a pro union deal that is trying to unionize that warehouse and not having any luck. NOW I am Just saying. By the way I do live a Very interesting and happy life!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #386

I will never shop at Wal-Mart for any reason. A company that forces it people to work overtime without pay, that fires anyone trying to organize for collective bargaining, that fails to provide a living wage, that fails to provide medical care, that operates factories with slave labor overseas, is not the kind of organization I want to support with my money.

When Wal-Mart opens a store in a small town it puts out of business companies that are locally owned and pay employees a living wage and provide health insurance. When Wal-Mart decimates the local businesses it replaces those jobs paying $15 an hour or more with $7 an hour jobs with now medical care - that is how they make their money. That money that does not go to pay local people a fair living wage leaves the local community and goes to the Walton heirs.

In 2010 the employees of Wal-Mart gave over $6 million to charity. The

Walton family, one of the richest in the world, in the same year gave a grand total of less than $6,000.

I understand people wanting to save money by buying items at Wal-Mart but in no way can I condone this extremely selfish and short sighted behavior. Doing the right thing is not the same as doing what is easiest or the most profitable [moderator edit]
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #387

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
My daddy was a union president and a vet of ww2 and Korea. I am also a veteran. Blanket statements like yours only serve to divide us as a nation. Yea, I consider myself a LIBERAL. It is a badge of honor to me. I love and am proud of this great nation. Not trying to get TOO political? You equated being " liberal" with being( not proud, ashamed?) of America. There are plenty of forums for that kind of hate speech. I'm here to share and learn about this great RVing lifestyle, not to listen to crap I thought was not part of this site. And yes sir, as a former LEO, I too love my guns and also an NRA member. Have an interesting life.
My daddy was also a union member and a veteran, I too have 17 years in the teamster's and also a vet! What has that got to do with anything? You must not watch much msnbc/cnn otherwise you would understand why I made that statement. Myself FOX news fair AND balanced
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #388

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Amen, TAZ,
I agree 100%. I personally appreciate everyone's views. We all have our own ideas and thoughts on who carries credibly and who we think is an idiot,... without stating so.
GWinger
A knowledgeable, intelligent, erudite, wise person is anyone who agrees with me.
An idiot is anyone who doesn't.
Jeez, that was easy!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #389

Quote:
You're not saying anything. Huffington Post lol aka National Enquirer. Looked to me they were protesting that particular warehouse not Walmart. Have you ever been to Elwood Illinois? GO by sometime and talk to the locals and ask how much money and jobs those warehouses that walmart built brought into that county-I'll tell ya- millions of dollars and several several hundred jobs! I go to those warehouses everyday , and by looking at the parking lot there are a lot and I mean ALOT of nice late model cars and trucks sitting there. So the jobs must not be all that low paying. that video looked like a pro union deal that is trying to unionize that warehouse and not having any luck. NOW I am Just saying. By the way I do live a Very interesting and happy life!
Quote:
My daddy was also a union member and a veteran, I too have 17 years in the teamster's and also a vet! What has that got to do with anything? You must not watch much msnbc/cnn otherwise you would understand why I made that statement. Myself FOX news fair AND balanced
Walmart Warehouse Workers Pilgrimage For 50 Miles Over 6 Days To Protest Working Conditions (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Other than your dislike of Huffpost and MSNBC what have you to offer as proof that the stories are wrong

PS I'm a 47 year member of The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and a Vet, what does that have to do with Walmart's predatory working conditions?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson

Walmart Warehouse Workers Pilgrimage For 50 Miles Over 6 Days To Protest Working Conditions (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Other than your dislike of Huffpost and MSNBC what have you to offer as proof that the stories are wrong

PS I'm a 47 year member of The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and a Vet, what does that have to do with Walmart's predatory working conditions?
1st, thank for for your time in service of our country.
Now as to the workers, I have not been there but I wonder:
If the press got it right.... I have been on EMS calls when the press was there, evidently they were wearing different glasses.
Being that hot the first call would be to OSHA for violating Permissible Heat Exposure Threshold Limit Values, I would think. That failing the headline should read "OSHA's inaction fries workers". While serious if you think about headlines, can you honestly tell me that would not be a headline.
My thoughts on why the walk, lead me to something not allowed on the board by the rules.
As I imagine you have had your exposure to heat, I have gone without releasing liquids during a 24 hour period due to heat also. So what ever the cause or truth, I hope it gets fixed.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
1st, thank for for your time in service of our country.
Now as to the workers, I have not been there but I wonder:
If the press got it right.... I have been on EMS calls when the press was there, evidently they were wearing different glasses.
Being that hot the first call would be to OSHA for violating Permissible Heat Exposure Threshold Limit Values, I would think. That failing the headline should read "OSHA's inaction fries workers". While serious if you think about headlines, can you honestly tell me that would not be a headline.
My thoughts on why the walk, lead me to something not allowed on the board by the rules.
As I imagine you have had your exposure to heat, I have gone without releasing liquids during a 24 hour period due to heat also. So what ever the cause or truth, I hope it gets fixed.
As do I
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #392

$6,000 to charity? Well that might be news to their charitable foundation. And a much lower amount than in 2005. There may be many reasons for not wanting to shop at walmart but I don't think their lack of charity is one of them. There have been a few bad apples in walmart management at the local levels in regards to overtime and terminations for union activities (the latter a practice I have no issue with) . But on the whole the company pays a fair wage for the jobs being performed, does provide health insurance and is well managed. JMO.

The Quiet Walton Family Fund Creates a Buzz - News - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

Walton Family Ranks 37th In Charitable Giving Making Change at Walmart

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
Closed Thread