Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
DW worked for a company that was, adjusting their books, to make the bottom line more.... what ever they called it. Anyways during this repair they took away the accrual of sick and vacation time (you could take what you had already but for 3 months you did not gain any time).
People made decisions to express their displeasure and the company reinstated the accrual and had to find replacements for about 20-30 nurses.
So 20-30 nurses voted with their feet and walked to another job. Exactly how it should work. You don't like what the company is doing then express your displeasure, and since you have the final decision either accept it or move on.

I personally don't understand letting people accrue vacation time past the current year. You should either take vacation, get paid for it in the first pay period of the new year, or lose it with the emphasis on using it. Sick time is different. I can see letting people accrue sick time (up to a point). If you are never sick, great but you don't get to use sick time as vacation time and should not be paid for it when you leave the company. One should not take a sick day to go to the state fair.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #436
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!
Yeah you're right. Sorry.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!
?

As you say.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #439

Walmart camping (err parking) is cheaper than dirt.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #440

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Walmart camping (err parking) is cheaper than dirt.
Well duh? The lots are always asphalt paved.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #441
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!
Quote:
Are we being baited in and setting up our children and grand- childrens dependency on a small select numbers corporations.
I think this all is applicable to the concept of entitlement and the balance of quality vs quantity. we struggle with the balance of business and unions. The scales have swung both ways and we (America) are loosing ground.

I personally feel in time that other countries will follow the path we did last century. India has started down the path and China will follow some day. We will see strikes and the formation of unions to combat the poor working conditions.

It will be a cycle, but I worry we have dismissed much of our heritage for convinience.

We have also taught our children that credit is a way of life. Just look at government as our example of how to run personal finances. But I digress, and this line of thinking will have no posotive outcome. I like this site and don't want to take a left turn down a dark road.

Back to the topic. Most of the posting have tapped into the root problem that as a society we have empowered and encouraged this behavior. What happened to the America that put a man on the moon?

We have a lot to be proud of, so I hope we don't sell America out. I do believe we will overcome any diversity we encounter.

God bless America!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #442

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
As another who was an E5, making $6k a month, somewhere in southeast asia in the early or mid 70's...
I'm not sure which country you served as an E5 for during the 70s, but I made E 6 June 1970, in Vietnam, and I was lucky to make 6 grand a year. I never made over 12 grand a year until I made chief (E7) in 1978. I want to join the service you were in. Are you sure you didn't mean 6 k per year? But still waaaaay too high for U. S. A. military in the 70. That's why I am not ashamed to be in the 47% "sucking off the government". Sitting on my butt getting a government check.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #443

Monaco Owners Club
First thread that has caused me grief. I well as everyone has opinions that differ greatly. It is my opinion that this interesting thread is in the wrong place.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
First thread that has caused me grief. I well as everyone has opinions that differ greatly. It is my opinion that this interesting thread is in the wrong place.
What grief? If you disagree state your reasons and join the conversation
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #445

I love Wal-mart they offer jobs to those who don't have one. And they offer me great prices. Be happy some of the people they hire haven't taken advatage of our education opportunities to better themselves.
If you have been in business 40 years and Wal-Mart is moving in and you are nervous you have been doing something wrong for 40 years instead of developing your business.
If you don't like the pay find something else you do like.
Wal-mart is great company and they stick to their operating plan no mater who says what.
Go Wal-Mart
Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #446

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Original Topic

Getting back to Taz's original post. I also miss the mom and pop stores from the 50s. I also miss Howdy Doody, motherhood and apple pie. But mom is long gone, apple pie is not on my diet, and Howdy Doody was on the one and only channel we had.
So thanks Taz for the memories, but I love the 2000s and look forwad to the teens, 2013 to 2019. I figure they will be the best years of my life (66 to 72). I'm retired, have a pretty good lifestyle, and plan to run the wheels off the RV. I am concerned about the US and I am concerned about my kids, but they seem to be doing OK. Like me, none of them seem to be setting the world on fire, but like me, they have the ability to light a few matches. Each one of them has "found their way", just as we all have. We grew up in a world different from our parents. Our kids will grow up in a world different from ours. Not better, Not worse, just different. They will cope. And if you think Wal Mart will be around forever, check out Sears, Woolworths, Kresges, JC Penneys, etc. Our grand kids will shop at the store that puts Wal Mart out of business. Amazon??

May the God of your choice bless you.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #447

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Getting back to Taz's original post. I also miss the mom and pop stores from the 50s. I also miss Howdy Doody, motherhood and apple pie. But mom is long gone, apple pie is not on my diet, and Howdy Doody was on the one and only channel we had.
So thanks Taz for the memories, but I love the 2000s and look forwad to the teens, 2013 to 2019. I figure they will be the best years of my life (66 to 72). I'm retired, have a pretty good lifestyle, and plan to run the wheels off the RV. I am concerned about the US and I am concerned about my kids, but they seem to be doing OK. Like me, none of them seem to be setting the world on fire, but like me, they have the ability to light a few matches. Each one of them has "found their way", just as we all have. We grew up in a world different from our parents. Our kids will grow up in a world different from ours. Not better, Not worse, just different. They will cope. And if you think Wal Mart will be around forever, check out Sears, Woolworths, Kresges, JC Penneys, etc. Our grand kids will shop at the store that puts Wal Mart out of business. Amazon??

May the God of your choice bless you.
Amen to that. Things change, winners adapt and those who don't do either have a hard hard time. My grandson is studying to be a something or other in genetic whichabobs and I have no idea of what it is he is studying.

His mom and I are happy for him to be so interested in this biology thingy and are happy that the lifetime pursuit he is after will pay him really well once he graduates. When I was in post secondary what he is now studying had not even been heard of so it wasn't available to my generation.

Great that the young people want to pursue new career choices. More power to 'em.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #448

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by resindiana View Post
I love Wal-mart they offer jobs to those who don't have one. And they offer me great prices. Be happy some of the people they hire haven't taken advatage of our education opportunities to better themselves.
If you have been in business 40 years and Wal-Mart is moving in and you are nervous you have been doing something wrong for 40 years instead of developing your business.
If you don't like the pay find something else you do like.
Wal-mart is great company and they stick to their operating plan no mater who says what.
Go Wal-Mart
Well the problem is if you've been in business for 40 years happily and faithfully providing a service to the community (and making a good living for yourself) then along comes walmart. A local store or small chain CAN'T compete with the buying power of Walmart. Our county got a super Walmart a few years ago and the prices were great, put a hurt on all the local business and a lot had to close. Now today when you go to walmart, the prices are jacked up, selection is pathetic, and customer service is non-existent. I could go into how Walmart has shown companys how move their manufacturing to other countries to meet the price they (Walmart) have dictated (I've actually set in on meetings with Walmart staff with a company I once worked for and heard this with my own ears), but most won't believe me and will defend wally world as good competition. In the end all we are doing is because we are powerless to change it.
Closed Thread