Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #449

Winnebago Owners Club
As I read the posts they are all over.. WELL my general conscencus Is. Wallmart ; cars,; houses; with Indoor plumbing ;, Are a sign of the times... And I for one am not ready to Take back the Old times Of Mom and pop stores, Outdoor toilets,, Horse and buggy if you were Lucky... So I say to all of you who complain , GO BACK, There is enough of us to support the Modern ways . And you know WHAT, we will enjoy they ,While others complain... Life is to short to be bitching about someone else...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #450

The other side of Walmart is when they moved into our town they put a lot of places out of business. Then after 5 years of operation the moved the entire thing into a super Wwalmart in the next town and closed this one. Cathedral City is virtually a ghost town now thanks to Walmart.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #451

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertranger View Post
The other side of Walmart is when they moved into our town they put a lot of places out of business. Then after 5 years of operation the moved the entire thing into a super Wwalmart in the next town and closed this one. Cathedral City is virtually a ghost town now thanks to Walmart.
Ghost town? Maybe the reason they left?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #452
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Getting back to Taz's original post. I also miss the mom and pop stores from the 50s. I also miss Howdy Doody, motherhood and apple pie. But mom is long gone, apple pie is not on my diet, and Howdy Doody was on the one and only channel we had.
So thanks Taz for the memories, but I love the 2000s and look forwad to the teens, 2013 to 2019. I figure they will be the best years of my life (66 to 72). I'm retired, have a pretty good lifestyle, and plan to run the wheels off the RV. I am concerned about the US and I am concerned about my kids, but they seem to be doing OK. Like me, none of them seem to be setting the world on fire, but like me, they have the ability to light a few matches. Each one of them has "found their way", just as we all have. We grew up in a world different from our parents. Our kids will grow up in a world different from ours. Not better, Not worse, just different. They will cope. And if you think Wal Mart will be around forever, check out Sears, Woolworths, Kresges, JC Penneys, etc. Our grand kids will shop at the store that puts Wal Mart out of business. Amazon??

May the God of your choice bless you.
Thanks Boeing Guy! That is one of the most profound and eloquent responses. Times will change, and although my home town had several hitching posts, (yes we did ride horses to town but I am not that old) I had 3 TV stations to choose from, my dad only had a radio growing up. Now my kids had several hundred stations to choose from. I had pinball at the drugstore and my kids have Xbox, wii and some other game systems I can't remember in there rooms.

I miss the old days, but change is inevitable. I don't like how it is happening and I may be too set in my ways. I just hope my kids are able to have all the wonderful times I had and we don't flush America done the toilet.

Thanks for everyone's oppinions. At least mine are right.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #453

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no ax to grind here, but years ago when the first WalMart came into central Florida, as a community we were glad. They had almost all their goods for sale made in America. I grew up in a big city, yet it mainly had Mom & Pop stores; I'm not talking about 50 years ago either...maybe 30.
I doubt Sam Walton envisioned what his stores would become. I guess it's like most of corporate America; they want to satisfy shareholders with dividends and earn a big quarterly bonus for themselves.
I think this is a bigger issue than WalMart. As Americans we need to vote with our dollars, minds and actions.
The good ol' days weren't all that good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
God Bless America!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #454

Hmm again

OK WalMart is a great company. They hire hundreds of thousands of workers to stock shelves, operate registers, and pay a little more to managers and truck drivers. They sell cheap stuff. Some of the richest Americans are the WalMart heirs. They brought China into the industrial age. They drove out the evil competition with cut rate goods and prices.
The outsourcing that WalMart demands and it's suppliers were forced to follow made WalMart the economic powerhouse that it is. They convinced us that the junk they sell is good because it is cheap and we fell for it.

It's not just WalMart. All the big trade names. Retail or Manufacturing. Target, K-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot. All selling formerly American made stuff now made in China or elsewhere. Nuts and bolts, conduit fittings, faucets, furniture, tires, tools, blenders, shoes, clothes....ad nauseum. Cheap but junky. And you know how we choose price over quality everytime...just look at Harbor Freight.

After all who needs a chrome plated toaster made of steel that would last 20 years for $40 when we can buy one made in China for $25 and throw it away if it breaks.

The point is ... how did this benefit the United States. Those companies that flew to China and those competitors that folded up laid off millions of workers. When the bicycle factory closed we lost not only the bicycle factory, but the steel, paint, tire, and other industries that sold to these companies.

It's Howdy Doody time wouldn't make it today...too corny. Neither would Crusader Rabbit, Sheriff John or Red Skelton. Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Greenjeans and Bunny Rabbit? Who the hell ever heard of 'em. Instead we have cartoons illustrated in foriegn countries. Is WalMart really better than Woolworth's Five and Dime? The Levis' we used to wear that we bought at the local Department store are just a memory along with the store. Who really cares if those textile industries closed up anyway? Those workers made too much money and evil unions were eliminated as a plus.

Well we can't go back to the good old day's when America built things and millions had good jobs. Everything we now buy is made somewhere else. Ever been to the deserted industrial areas of the now Rust Belt? Detroit. New Jersey. The trade name Romex of the Rome Cable company in Rome NY along with all the other cable manufacturers....gone.

The trade for cheap goods from China for American jobs and know how. Was it worth it?

Enough of us to support the modern ways? When the last of those that grew up in the 40's, 50's, 60's die off along with the good pensions we earned are dead and gone what will remain? Todays youth can't fix a car, have no idea of a world without cell phones and the internet. They just assume it was always there. The work we did to build and create and the vision to accomplish it, will our children carry on?

Steel, tires, machine tools, semiconductors, electronics, appliances. Could the Next generation imagine them coming from anywhere else but China.

Maybe flipping burgers, designing video games, and creating new media will allow Americans to carry on without these blue collar jobs. I wonder....

Will we end up as the Eloi or the Morlocks?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
It's not just WalMart. All the big trade names. Retail or Manufacturing. Target, K-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot. All selling formerly American made stuff now made in China or elsewhere. Nuts and bolts, conduit fittings, faucets, furniture, tires, tools, blenders, shoes, clothes....ad nauseum. Cheap but junky. And you know how we choose price over quality everytime...just look at Harbor Freight.

After all who needs a chrome plated toaster made of steel that would last 20 years for $40 when we can buy one made in China for $25 and throw it away if it breaks.
What's wrong with lots of choices? You can STILL get quality made toasters today but as someone who realizes that carbs cause me to pack on weight I don't eat toast anyway...

Quote:
It's Howdy Doody time wouldn't make it today...too corny. Neither would Crusader Rabbit, Sheriff John or Red Skelton. Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Greenjeans and Bunny Rabbit? Who the hell ever heard of 'em. Instead we have cartoons illustrated in foriegn countries. Is WalMart really better than Woolworth's Five and Dime? The Levis' we used to wear that we bought at the local Department store are just a memory along with the store. Who really cares if those textile industries closed up anyway? Those workers made too much money and evil unions were eliminated as a plus.
As a percentage of income those Levi's cost less today and they fit better than in 1950 when there was no standardization and people toiled in un-air conditioned sweatshops

Quote:
Well we can't go back to the good old day's when America built things and millions had good jobs. Everything we now buy is made somewhere else. Ever been to the deserted industrial areas of the now Rust Belt? Detroit. New Jersey. The trade name Romex of the Rome Cable company in Rome NY along with all the other cable manufacturers....gone.
That's right but cities like San Antonio, Orlando and Atlanta are thriving. They call it the Rust Belt for a reason.

Quote:
Enough of us to support the modern ways? When the last of those that grew up in the 40's, 50's, 60's die off along with the good pensions we earned are dead and gone what will remain? Todays youth can't fix a car, have no idea of a world without cell phones and the internet. They just assume it was always there. The work we did to build and create and the vision to accomplish it, will our children carry on?

Steel, tires, machine tools, semiconductors, electronics, appliances. Could the Next generation imagine them coming from anywhere else but China.

Maybe flipping burgers, designing video games, and creating new media will allow Americans to carry on without these blue collar jobs. I wonder....

Will we end up as the Eloi or the Morlocks?
Actually the generation of today will just manufacture steel, tires, semiconductors, electronics, appliances via clicks of the mouse and machines will do all the work. I guess you liked looking at the 10" black and white TV with radio bulbs that were constantly blowing out? Maybe we should just go back to the good old days when Lake Eire caught on fire? I'll bet you miss those working conditions that NYC had in their clothing district when a fire killed 146 workers (google triangle shirtwaist fire).

Heck maybe you don't like to Google????

I've worked on farms growing up in the 70's and now I'm a desk jockey using information and knowledge to make a living and my job didn't exist back in the 60's when I was born.

Things in the past weren't as rosey as people thought they were and the future looks a lot brighter then we think.

Morlocks or Eloi - that's you only choices? I prefer Star Trek myself By then I won't need to go to Wal-Mart I'll just go over to my personal replicator and order a cup of tea - Earl Gray
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #456

Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading all the posts, I can't help but wonder if these same concerns were discussed on street corners and taverns at the dawn of the Industrial Age. We are, IMO, Ina similar,
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #457

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, let's finish that thought, before I hit the wrong button again. similar, worrisome economic upheaval where the rules of the game are changing.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #458

Just one question, what happens when we no longer have the skills and machinery to actually MAKE things.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #459

Fleetwood Owners Club
To return to the original post, I don't think Wally is killing us. I think the rest of the planet has started to catch up to us and we as a nation have not invested in ourselves. In a generation, our infrastructure will be third world worthy and other than at the university level, so will our education system without sweeping reforms ( and large amounts of dough). If other countries can do something cheaper than we can, they will get to do it. We have prospered as a people and a nation by pushing the boundaries on innovation , education, infrastructure and work ethic. Cops have never made much money for what they are asked to do. Being the world' s policeman appears to be worse for the bottom line. But for me, I know how to solve all the world' problems. I'm going full- time boondockini' very damn soon.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #460

Walmart is killing Passport America..
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #461

So...

Quote:
Actually the generation of today will just manufacture steel, tires, semiconductors, electronics, appliances via clicks of the mouse and machines will do all the work. I guess you liked looking at the 10" black and white TV with radio bulbs that were constantly blowing out? Maybe we should just go back to the good old days when Lake Eire caught on fire? I'll bet you miss those working conditions that NYC had in their clothing district when a fire killed 146 workers (google triangle shirtwaist fire).
But you still didn't say how moving manufacturing offshore has made us a better nation. So we point and click to order semiconductors made in China. And then have the parts assembled in China. Where can you buy quality made toasters today? My last pair of Levi's button lasted 10 seconds before the plastic stud pulled out. And people still toil in unconditioned sweatshops, only they're Chinese. My job as a WalMart greeter didn't exist when I was a kid.

Is the future of America as a service economy going to be better than it was as a manufacturer of the world's goods? Just look where China's economy is versus the US for the answer.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #462

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
Just one question, what happens when we no longer have the skills and machinery to actually MAKE things.

Closed Thread