Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember the mom amd pop stores. What I remember is most of the time they didn't have what I wanted. They either had to order it or could not get it. I shop walmart, Lowes, HD and other big boxes, they either have what I want or can get it. I do try to avoid chinese made goods but sometimes that is not possible. It is not because chinese made goods are crappy, which they are. It is because If I am going to buy crap I want American made crap.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I can't stand walmart, and don't camp overnight there either.
Ditto That!.....I have no use for WalMart, mainly for the above mentioned reasons. I'll shop Mom and Pops anytime. Lowes is nothing more than another China Mart. When it comes to nuts, bolts and screws their crap is chinese junk. I still have a local place where I can still buy American made hardware just the way it used to be.
America has nobody to blame but themselves because they all want it CHEAP and as much as they can get. Sorry folks keep cutting your own throat and maybe someday you will be out of your job as well! Seen happen to many times and no WalMart is not 100% to blame but they're no help.
I wouldn't care if they dried up and blew away.
I do take the time and will buy as much American made good as I can, always have always will. Always put America first,,,, everybody else can take a number!
As you can tell I'm not a PC Global person. The good old U.S. has been taking it in the backside to long and our politicians and our illustrious business leaders are leading the way!

Just my thoughts,,,
Regards,
RovinOn
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote from award winning movie: "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore"

Ma'am, is that chainsaw going to be on sale all week? What?, that's its everyday price. Dang..Let me go get a buggy. lol

Kerry
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #46

Freightliner Owners Club
That's why you have to love America, shop wherever you like, Walmart or Mom & Pop but don't try to close off the options we have. Most Walmart bashing is at the hands of the unions. If Walmart were to become unionized, the anti Walmart bashing would decline significantly.

Nick
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I shop at my locally owned ACE franchise first before I go to the big orange or blue box. I haven’t entered you-know-who’s stores in decades.

Years ago I learned that Sam’s descendants were the major supporters of the movement to end “public”, tax funded K-12 education. Why would they want to do that? Well.. “if you can keep ‘em stupid they are much easier to control” - a statement I remember hearing in Mississippi over 30 years ago. An ignorant population is a MUCH easier customer base to sell your “bill-of-goods” to, rather than one that reads, looks up information, thinks and evaluates options.

The next task – get the U.S. worker to compete with the Chinese worker and accept $4,000/year income. Don’t believe me? Just hide and watch.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

"Years ago I learned that Sam’s descendants were the major supporters of the movement to end “public”, tax funded K-12 education. Why would they want to do that? Well.. “if you can keep ‘em stupid they are much easier to control”

You need to do some research because the public schools are doing that already. The Walton's opposition to the public schools has to do with the public schools PC indoctrination and left wing curriculum.

Nick
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #49

354 mbs cc

Growing up as kid in central Ohio I remember Jimmy Sprouses(a little shop) right in the middle of Commercial Point he wold cut meat he had candy (in the case with the broken glass please dont lean the sign would say ) I loved that place I drank Grape hilo or something like that . ah those were the good old days when you still had the tooth fairy and ice cream on Sundays home made pancakes for Breakfast.[moderator edit]
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post

You need to do some research because the public schools are doing that already. The Walton's opposition to the public schools has to do with the public schools PC indoctrination and left wing curriculum.
Yup. Public schools were originally put in place because Henry Ford and others at the turn of the century were concerned that there would be a shortage of subservient workers for their factories. Ones that would take direction and not question authority. Ones who would not think for themselves, but would blindly follow the leaders. That is the same thing K-12, taxpayer funded schools do today, turn out lemmings.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Most Walmart bashing is at the hands of the unions
Did you ever really talk to someone that worked there? My father did as a retirement job. I heard the stories and WalMart can shove it.
Lets not start blaming the unions,seems to me in some regards that unions need to go back to their roots a little bit!

Quote:
Growing up as kid in central Ohio I remember Jimmy Sprouses(a little shop) right in the middle of Commercial Point he wold cut meat he had candy (in the case with the broken glass please dont lean the sign would say ) I loved that place I drank Grape hilo or something like that . ah those were the good old days when you still had the tooth fairy and ice cream on Sundays home made pancakes for Breakfast.[moderator edit]
Ditto that!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #52

The public gets what it wants and will pay for in public education. Teachers are among the lowest paid professions in the country. Parents want babysitters who will not bother them, certainly will not require homework and would not dare hold their student back a grade or provent them from graduating. Teachers get very little to no help from home, are required to cover so many non academic items and the school day and year are not long enough to compete with the rest of the world. I am a little tired of the bashing public education is getting from folks who constantly whine about taxes and really do not want to pay their fair share. RANT over, go ahead and bash away, I know what is coming and I likely will not read any of the responses nor visit this thread again. Sorry for the rant, I just could not help myself. I think MOST, certainly not all, teachers work very hard. We DO NEED an easier way to get rid of bad teachers and reward good ones, keep all the pc stuff out of the classroom and provide students and teachers with the latest tools to compete with the rest of the world. ALL JUST MY OPINION.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can see the simulairities between wall mart moving in and forcing smaller stores to close due to taking all their business, Just like Sears (Which is now part of K-Mart) and Wards (Which is now history).

However there is also a big difference.. Sears and Wards both sold quality products, many of which were MADE IN THE USA, Wall Mart brags about the low low prices, Well to get those low low prices much of what is in that store is MADE IN CHINA, and quality is clearly lacking on many of the products, both in the store and "Made In China".

What's worse. if they intend to remain competitive with Wall-mart other stores need to cut costs and that means buying from China a well.

Plus there is more.. I worked for Sears (And K-Mart before they merged, well AT K-mart, I actually worked for Sherman Williams), and I can tell you both stores treat the lower levels far far better than Wall-Mart treats it's workers.. Oh, managers at wally world do ok, but grunts are kind of like floor tile.. Walked all over.

So, in case you can't guess. I don't like shopping wally world.. Alas, I don't have a choice (I can't afford the prices elsewhere... just yet) but when the time comes I will switch to another store.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a big fan of WalMart, mostly because the stores are just too freakin' BIG! Geez, my knees are barkin' big time walking around in there and inevitably if I need two or three items they're clear across the other side of the store. Just not worth the hassle.
If I can buy what I need locally, I try to do that. That said, if traveling with the 'bago, sometimes they're the best option for groceries.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt it is Wal Mart that is killing this Nation. Can't say what I think is or who I think is as it would violate the irv2 rules.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #56

Walmart is the number one merchant. They offer quality merchandise, clothes, and food at prices that benefit all person who shop at walmart. Having traveled all over the US, Walmart stores are a welcome sight. Known top quality, fair prices, and good friendly service is their hallmark. The benefit to the people of the US can not be calculated, but one can see the value in the number of people that shop in the many, many stores that we have seen and visited all over the US. Local shops can compete by offering selections and service beyond what the big Box Stores can do. Complaining about Walmart, Target, Bestbuy does not recognize the benefit that these companies provide to the US consumer, average or well off.
JB
Closed Thread