Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
Just reported on MSNBC news. Now, don't jump to conclusions as I'm more of a Fox News kinda guy. I just like to watch both as I like to get opposing points of view. Makes life interesting as well as raising the blood pressure.

-Tax levy on USA goods imported into China = 25%
-Tax levy on Chinese goods imported into USA = 2.5%

Does anyone see something wrong with this scenario? I personally would like to make it mandatory to brand ALL Chinese items as "Made in COMMUNIST China". Look in the mirror, folks. If it's made in China, Taiwan, India or some other foreign nation & I don't absolutely need it, it stays on the store shelf. Hard to do in these days.

And for the Walmart campers I say "Support your local Mom & Pop campgrounds before you also drive them out of business". I do.
I'm not sure what China is. It sure isn't "communist", at least not in the sense communist China and the Soviet Union were in the 50s, 60's and 70s. Right now it looks more like an ultra-capitalistic dictatorship run by commitee. ????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
4. Like it or not, we are in a world market today. Wal-Mart would be another business failure like K Mart was if they hadn't kept pace with the business climate changes. That includes where they buy their products. Many of the other retail chains like Academy also get most of their stock from foreign suppliers but that fact isn't as news worthy.
K-Mart, competed with Sears primarily. of course it was not K-mart then, it was the K-Mart division of Kresgee (a 5 and dime that had been around a long time).. Well, several things happened, First they changed and re-configured the company, It is now K-mart, (And Kresgee is the division) and they dang near went under due to bad management.. But they got new management.. Then they failed so bad under new management... THAT THEY BOUGHT SEARS. In short, they did rather well.

One thing that kills many businessess is what I call "Expansion fever" and as it happens Wall Mart may have it (not sure).. What, you ask is Expansion fever?

Well, a company starts with one store,, Then another, and a third,, All paid for with money on hand.. Then they get expansion fever they go to the bank, and take out a loan, open half a dozen more stores. and then.. Go bankrupt.

Ok, with K-Mart (And Wall-mart, you need to add a few zeros to those numbers, but that's expansion fever.

I used to work for a few guys who had a good business, they were in trouble when I started (Thanks to a crooked credit card clearing house) but got out of it and were rolling in green, Then they got Expansion fever, overnight they more than doubled the number of stores..

Well, You might say I saw the writing and went to have a chat with the boss.. The boss confided they were trying to figure how to lay me off as they felt they no longer needed my services.. I told them 'Voulentary" as .. Well, I'd gone to basically say "I QUIT" but since it was offically a lay off it was "Quitting on good terms".. Made him happy, made me happy.

The week after I cashed my last check.. the payroll checks bounced.

What more can I say.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #73

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our local Wally-World is one of those mega ones (NE Ohio). 75% of the shopping center is now filled with empty stores. I only shop there for certain items. Their clothes are junk. Their shoes are so cheap the soles wear out after a few months. I'll never buy shoes there again...

It's only 3 blocks away, but I might only stop in for one or two items every two or three months.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Our local Wally-World is one of those mega ones (NE Ohio). 75% of the shopping center is now filled with empty stores. I only shop there for certain items. Their clothes are junk. Their shoes are so cheap the soles wear out after a few months. I'll never buy shoes there again...

It's only 3 blocks away, but I might only stop in for one or two items every two or three months.
This is the thing though...they are hedging their bets on those who just can't seem to realize that they are not really the cheapest on most occasions, and when they are, the quality really sucks.

Walmart banks on the brainwashing that started when they undercut every other store when they started out, but today, the quality in many products is terrible, and the discount isn't as great, but they know most will not question it.

And they are doing great, because they won. Most do not question it. They continue to shop there even when other stores are very competitive with better customer service and higher quality, and a similar price tag.

I read an article that was very enlightening not that long ago, about how many big brand names we all know will sell their products to walmart with much less quality just to be able to meet their demands in price. Igloo coolers and Hanes socks are two that come to mind that the article mentioned. The Hanes and igloo product you buy at walmart, does not meet the same quality standard if you bought it elsewhere, as they had to cut many corners to meet their demand. The article mentioned that quality is cut for walmart to be able to meet their price points. So the same items you buy at walmart, might not have the same quality standard if bought at other retailers, even though they bear the same brand name.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
My take is that Walmart has done more to improve the lives of lower income americans than any government program.
Those good lower-income Wal-mart jobs now that all their manufacturing is OFFSHORE.

Yeah, that's the good deal the lower end of the economy needed.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #76

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Your saying that you would pay $14/lb for the same steak at a grocer you can buy at Sam's for $6/lb? I don't get it.

I don't know about Sam's for steak (I belonged to Costco and not Sam's) but when it comes to Wall Mart v/s your local grocer's meat counter.

No contest, the meat at the local counter is way better than the stuff Wall-mart pushes. And yes, it may well be that much better.

In Michigan and surrounding states there is another big chain, Meijer's They ran advertisements where they had someone in a blue shirt holding a pre-packaged slab of steak and someone in THEIR store uniform with a store wrapped package from the meat counter.. They compaired them in front of a judge (conducting a mock trial).

Suffice to say the meat counter product was very much better than Wal-mart's.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to believe that Walmart and Sam's meat comes from the same distributor. I find a WORLD of difference between the steak available at Sam's and the pale, tough, tasteless Walmart "steak." (And FWIW, most local grocers have terrible meat, too. It's not like the old days when you could find a really great-tasting piece of beef with perfect marbling.)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #78

I hate to say it, but both K-Mart and Sears are folding up here in the midwest.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

And I don't get all the "Walmart is EVIL" posts in this thread. Terms like "brainwashing", "ruining the country", etc. It's simple economics, people. What happened to celebrating success? No one forces you to shop there, so if you hate it so much...don't. I shop wherever I find what I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

I don't feel that Sam Walton nor his survivors had ulterior motives and are simply trying to remain solvent and successful. They aren't responsible for people NOT taking the initiative to comparison shop. If people are too ignorant to do that, then shame on THEM. Walmart offers stuff for sale, and people buy. Is any other business really different?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
And I don't get all the "Walmart is EVIL" posts in this thread. Terms like "brainwashing", "ruining the country", etc. It's simple economics, people. What happened to celebrating success? No one forces you to shop there, so if you hate it so much...don't. I shop wherever I find what I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

I don't feel that Sam Walton nor his survivors had ulterior motives and are simply trying to remain solvent and successful. They aren't responsible for people NOT taking the initiative to comparison shop. If people are too ignorant to do that, then shame on THEM. Walmart offers stuff for sale, and people buy. Is any other business really different?

We will agree to disagree then. I do not find them to be quite the noble retailer that you do. And I don't shop there. I put my money where my mouth is.

I think it is quite okay for a consumer to seriously dislike a retailer. Free enterprise works both ways.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WalMart is sucking the market dry...boohoo
McDonalds is making us fat slobs... Boohoo
Street drugs are killing America...BooHoo

WE are the problem here ! Not WalMart, not Mickey D's or drug dealers or Mexico or Columbia !

Until the American Consumer removes it collective head outta a dark, smelly place and learns to live without drugs, quick fixes, cheap foods we are destined to becoming the slobs the rest of the world see us as today !

Red meat, sugar, crack, and big mac are as common as hard work, common sense, and patriotism used to be... we can change it but for the most part we are content to sit back and blame the Govt, the drugs dealers, the welfare system... just as long as we get what we want when we want it and for the ALWAYS low price who cares if it is killing our country...

How sad for us all.

Rant over !

Now where did I put my fly rod and waders???????
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I hate to say it, but both K-Mart and Sears are folding up here in the midwest.

Perry, I think they have already folded, they just don't know it yet.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #83

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
We can go with it. Just enjoy the senior moments. At least we can still have them. It is better than the alternative.
Have they figured out how to tax senior moments? Could be a money maker
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedDancer View Post
We will agree to disagree then. I do not find them to be quite the noble retailer that you do. And I don't shop there. I put my money where my mouth is.

I think it is quite okay for a consumer to seriously dislike a retailer. Free enterprise works both ways.
I must have missed the part where I said "noble retailer." I can take Walmart or leave it, but I do shop there occasionally when it's convenient.

And I agree, disliking a retailer is certainly everyone's right. It's the public trashing that bothers me. I guess when anything/anyone becomes the biggest, they are open to criticism from the also rans.