Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #113

the new capitalist in ASIA, CHINA, VIETNAM are the OLD COMMIES...and the BAND plated on
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #114

Somebody is missing the point! WalMart is not the bad person! Sam Walton used a great therory. Instead of selling "one" at a higher profit price, lets lower the price where 10 people can afford to buy, and we will be able to deal in a bulk market. Well Sam would roll over in his grave today the way it is being run. But you still can't blame WalMart, because you buy there. Me Too!! Greed is the whole problem. If mom & pop can sell a product a 40% markup, but if they ordered more and sold at say 18% but could sell 10 in the same amount of time that they sold 1 for 40% profit, it helps the whole economy. think about it!!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic

Yes this is defintly the choking of mom and pop stores.

I do not think sears and montgomery ward killed mom and pop stores like china-mart does.
THey were mainly catalog sales years ago.
Go to sears and Montgomery ward and tell me how many made in the USA tags you find nowadays. You wont. American made is as synonymous with poor quality now as made in Japan once was. They improved their technology to increase their bottom line and American labor unions inflated wages and got fat and lazy in technology and sent their jobs overseas. My perfectly working Chinese IPhone that cost $190.00 would be 5 times that amount and of substantial lesser quality if it was American made. Speed and technology is the future. We can sit around and complain about how things used to be or we can get on board and become more technologically proficient as a country and get back in the race. And if not, the Chinese and Mexican sweatshops are always hiring.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #116
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
jamesgr81...you get it....it is a shame everyone else doesn't
Agreed! Very well said Jameshr81. It is not just walmart but it is symbolic of the larger problem affecting our country. Thanks for the post!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My mom and dad ran a small grocery and a gas station in a very small town, offered credit, tried to help the community, etc. Since they did not have the access to lower wholesale prices the larger stores about 20 miles away did, the larger stores were always able to beat them on price. And eventually the grocery and station were closed. That is what happens, if you have some one who can beat you on price they are probably going to take your business. There is a good chance that the small retailer you mourn now was able to close out a smaller competitor at some prior point.

As far as outsourcing goes, there were some treaties that were signed a few years ago that had a lot to do with factories moving out. And face it, if the price of doing business here goes up because of increased labor costs, rising expenses from government regulation, etc., companies will do what it takes to remain profitable. And those greedy stockholders? Some of them are mutual funds held by pension funds. So your 401K might be that greedy capitalist that is "destroying" America.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Wally World is capitalism at work.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
As everyone drives their Korean, German, Japanese car to the Walmart, talking on their Chinese cell phone, walking on Thailand made Nike's, and then buying all the junk they sell in Walmart because it is cheap, they next drive to the unemployment office to pick up their check and wonder where their jobs went to....

Say goodbye to the furniture industry, clothing, manufacturing, automotive, appliances. The Maytag Man speaks chinese. Tools, Harbor Freight is booming, the list goes on and on. Outsource, call customer service and get China, Romania, India.

Blame? Excessive regulation, unions, high taxes? Corporate greed? Send our factories to China. By raising the standard of living in China and making a most favored trading partner they will buy our exports? Buying cheap China junk will put more money in our pockets? Buy a company, fire it's employees, send the production to China, take the cash and saddle it with debt, this is the new capitalism, private equity firms. So what if the company goes bankrupt.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You want good jobs but you want cheap prices, you say American cars are junk and one of the greatest industries in the world becomes a ghost town, local hardware store was too expensive, now we pay $5.00 for a box of nails at Home Depot.

Wall St wants profits for their investors, they don't give a damn about the country or the employees. Close HP production, send jobs to China, give the CEO a 28 million dollar bonus, and sell the printer for the same price while making it for 1/10 of what it cost to make in the US.

No one is to blame more than ourselves. We chose cheap over quality and never protested when a toaster that lasted 20 years only lasts 1 year because it is so cheap - just buy another one.

Look at all the things we have settled for. Nobody in the 50's or 60's would buy the junk they pass off today. Cars were made of chrome and steel, appliances were porcelain, a faucet was bronce and weighed 10 pounds, nails didn't bend when you looked at them crossways.

What will our children find waiting for them when they graduate? Good jobs?

Not even picking grapes is an option, they all come from South America now.
I read through all the posts in this thread, you have the best handle on whats going on.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #120

To answer your question ...

... it's already "past tense."
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #121

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if you want to see somthing real big go look at this site

johnharding.com/2011/01/14/what-a-ship-the-emma-maersk/
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Gawd.. The USA hasn't been a manufacturing economy since the early 80's... Get over it already..

Question: Why is this thread still open?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #123

I don't shop very often at wal mart. I found other store have better produce and believe this or not, better prices on groceries. some stores have buy two and get three free on pop. wal mart doesn't. tillamock cheese is cheaper else where than wal mart. just to name a few. I had to go there the other day, only place in town I could find printer paper.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #124

I live in a small town, though famous for "FIRST MONDAY TRADE DAYS' of Canton TX. We have a few Mom & Pop stores. They are very frendly, but their merchandise is selective. Also mainly over seas made as well. Our retail market is changing, and the Government is as much behind it as anyone. China is our Governments favorite. They give your nice "TAX DOLLARS" to a nation that is loaning the USA money. Their imports come in mostly duty free. You are being forced to buy the goods, because that is all that is all that is out there.
Now "GOLFPRO", you are correct!! I shop for a lot of my Groceries at the only competion WalMart has, which is Brookshires. The produce is higher, but the quality is far superior, and some of the other items is cheaper. But if you just shop at WalMart, a person wouldn't know. We started noticing that about 7 or 8 months ago, and have been comparing ever since.
Ther was a comit about "Unions". They are good and bad for the market. I remember working for some non-union jobs that were good, but also some that could fire you on the spot for not following orders. A machine shop I worked at produced parts for the aircraft industry. The cast aluminum parts were to be a certian alloy, as these parts were for the hydraulic valves. It was found the alloy was too soft, and would not stand up to the pressure required. The inspector that found the mistake and 3 machinist were fired on the spot because they wouldn't use the bad part. I could tell you about others as well.
But then again, as a Union Member,[ on a different job] I received benifits small increments in pay, and better working conditions. So who paid for all that? The consumer does! Also as I was getting better benifits, the non-union companies had to follow suite as well, to keep good employees, and some times paid better in wages, to keep the benifits low. Who pays for it? think about it, the consumer does. Whether is't the diesel fuel going in the tanks of trucks delivering the goods to the manufactures markup, we will continue to pay, but I for one have had to cut downon other things I used to do as my money is not going far enough anymore. How about Yours?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp
I live in a small town, though famous for "FIRST MONDAY TRADE DAYS' of Canton TX. We have a few Mom & Pop stores. They are very frendly, but their merchandise is selective. Also mainly over seas made as well. Our retail market is changing, and the Government is as much behind it as anyone. China is our Governments favorite. They give your nice "TAX DOLLARS" to a nation that is loaning the USA money. Their imports come in mostly duty free. You are being forced to buy the goods, because that is all that is all that is out there.
Now "GOLFPRO", you are correct!! I shop for a lot of my Groceries at the only competion WalMart has, which is Brookshires. The produce is higher, but the quality is far superior, and some of the other items is cheaper. But if you just shop at WalMart, a person wouldn't know. We started noticing that about 7 or 8 months ago, and have been comparing ever since.
Ther was a comit about "Unions". They are good and bad for the market. I remember working for some non-union jobs that were good, but also some that could fire you on the spot for not following orders. A machine shop I worked at produced parts for the aircraft industry. The cast aluminum parts were to be a certian alloy, as these parts were for the hydraulic valves. It was found the alloy was too soft, and would not stand up to the pressure required. The inspector that found the mistake and 3 machinist were fired on the spot because they wouldn't use the bad part. I could tell you about others as well.
But then again, as a Union Member,[ on a different job] I received benifits small increments in pay, and better working conditions. So who paid for all that? The consumer does! Also as I was getting better benifits, the non-union companies had to follow suite as well, to keep good employees, and some times paid better in wages, to keep the benifits low. Who pays for it? think about it, the consumer does. Whether is't the diesel fuel going in the tanks of trucks delivering the goods to the manufactures markup, we will continue to pay, but I for one have had to cut downon other things I used to do as my money is not going far enough anymore. How about Yours?
My money goes 26 miles...that's how far the nearest stores are to my house lol. We used to go to Canton quite often when we lived in Shreveport. Really enjoyed it. Have a good day my friend and thanks for stirring up my memory of Canton.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #126

National RV Owners Club
I read a lot of peoples posts, and a lot of them make sense. I didn't see anyone post (I may have just missed it) anything about all of the little stores that usually pop around a Walmart. Almost every store I see has a dozen or so small mom and pop shops surrounding them. Maybe the mom and pop stores are franchises, but the traffic from the Walmart shoppers helps those smaller shops. We've lost nearly every one of our Quizno's here in my town. Only a few left. The most successull one? Yep! the one right next to Walmart. All the global implifications about Walmart might be true, but they do offer some benefit to the smaller business owners that are close to them. I didn't see anyone bashing Bill Gates, or Microsoft. That nerd that became one of the wealthiest people in the world. Think about his company. I bet 90% or better of us are sending our posts on a computer with his operating system. To me it's circle of concern and circle of influence. My circle of concern is pretty big. For a whole lot of things in the world. The little circle in the middle though, is my circle of influence. I'll do what I can to support a cause, but outside of that I'm not worrying about it or stressing over it. Blood pressure is high enough from eating what I like, I'm not gonna contribute to it by stressing over stuff I have no control or influence on the outcome. It is what it is. Now lets go camping!
Closed Thread